News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:14:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you run into former friends  (Read 8486 times)

bopper

Re: When you run into former friends
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
"We totally should!  Drop me a line sometime."

Since they never invite you, then they probably won't invite you this time either.

KenveeB

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
"Oh, definitely! We'll work something out." Or even just "We should get together sometime." "Absolutely!" Some people consider this just a way to say "I miss you" or even just a simple greeting. It's like saying "how are you?" while not actually waiting for an answer. It's just a phrase. Say something noncommittal in response and move on.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
subtle jab answer
them: "We miss you! We should get together some time."
you: "Oh well, my phone number is the same as it always was." It might remind them that they are the ones who originally stopped calling you, however it's more likely to go completely over their head. It could also prompt them to ask for it again if they lost it.

better idea
them: "We miss you! We should get together some time."
you: "Thank you. I wish I could but I'm afraid I already have plans." Said politely and with a smile if you can manage it. You've acknowledged their noncommittal invitation with an equally noncommittal refusal. You plan to not get together with them again on any day or time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams