News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 09:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hovering directly in front of product at the grocery. Rude?  (Read 6008 times)

jpcher

Re: Hovering directly in front of product at the grocery. Rude?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
My question is where do you "step back" to?

(snip)

I've only been in two stores that roomy, both at least 2 hours away. Our Walmarts (3 of them within 40 minutes) are all over 12 years old and have had so many new shelves added there is no room.

My "step back" is to the side, not literally back to the middle of the aisle.

My grocery store is pretty tight. There's only enough room for 2 carts to pass comfortably, so when I'm looking at something my cart is in front of me right next to the shelves . . . which brings up another situation when somebody wants to look at something that my cart is blocking. ::) Then there's the cart shuffle, pull the cart back far enough so that I can go around the cart and continue my hover.

For the most part people are usually very polite with smiles, excuse me's, I'm sorry's and thank-yous.

The people that irritate me are the ones that I step aside for only to have to wait for them to finish hovering . . . Hey! Wait your turn! :P

OP -- I'm sorry that you're getting the occasional "dirty look and a sigh" treatment. Maybe those people are having a bad day? and forget their manners for a minute?

I wouldn't give it much thought . . . at least YOU are being polite. ;D

Peppergirl

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
Thanks!  It's one of those things where it's rare, but it does happen enough to have made me question whether I'm doing something wrong, KWIM?

Either way, not a big deal - but intriguing.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
My question is where do you "step back" to?

I'm always in front of some product and if I stand in the middle of the aisle, no one can get through. They are two lanes, but tight.

I do always move a bit if someone seems to want to see that same shelf and say "excuse me.' I do ask politely if I can sneak in and grab something if someone is in front of it and seems it will be a bit before making a decision.

There are always rude people around. I don't think it is anything new. You sound as if you should just carry on as you are.

Yep. I actually stopped doing the "step back to read the label" thing after my husband pointed out that I was just blocking something else. Kind of like how I would park my cart on the other side of the aisle (so at my back while facing products) so as not to block the stuff in front of me, until he pointed out I was still blocking things and also causing a bit of a jam for anyone who needed to pass between me and the cart. Now I leave it in front of or behind where I'll be browsing and apologize/scoot at necessary.

I think the best you can do is try to be aware of those around you, say excuse me whether you're the block-er or block-ee, and step back or reach in as necessary.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
I guess I tend to wait 10-20 seconds for someone to finish their selection.  If they're still looking, I'll say "excuse me" or I'll double-check my shopping list and wait longer.  It's really never been a big deal, and I can't remember anyone having to do more than an "excuse me" to me either.  I'm sure there *are* rude people at the grocery store, because rude people have to shop sometime, but I don't seem to run into them  :)

Psychopoesie

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »
There's nowhere to stand in the aisle that won't be in someone's way. Standing to one side of the aisle or the other is least disruptive since it lets the flow of trolley (and other) traffic get around you (general you) more easily. Stopping or even pushing your trolley smack down the middle of an aisle intended to be roomy enough for two way trolley traffic - rude IMO, or at the least very inconsiderate of other shoppers.

If I'm blocking a product someone else wants by stopping to one side while I read a label (not rude) and I don't happen to notice (also not rude), an "excuse me" works fine. At least I'm not stopping every trolley that's trying to go through the aisle.

camlan

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
 Around here, the trend seems to be to park your cart on one side of the aisle and then you move to the other side of the aisle to examine the products, leaving just enough room for another cart to squeeze by. Most of the time.

Frankly, I just expect food shopping to be a frustrating experience. I will have to wait for someone to move in order to reach at least 65% of the products I want. There will be people chatting in the aisles, blocking them completely. And if I should need to stop for more than 2 seconds to select an item, there will be someone huffing and puffing at my "delay."  I figure I have to wait for other people; at some point other people are going to have to wait for me.

But to the OP's question, the worst I've ever seen was a woman at Trader Joe's who was trying to buy carrots. When I walked in the store, she was by the fresh produce, holding a bag of carrots. She put that down, and picked up another bag of carrots. Then she looked at a bag of baby carrots. There were three choices for carrots--a one pound bag, a three pound bag, and a bag of baby carrots. She danced between the three, blocking an entire section of the case, for several minutes. I decided to go finish the rest of my shopping and come back. She was still there, picking up bags of carrots, examining them and picking up another bag. I have no idea what the difficulty was, but at that point, she'd been examining carrots for at least 10 minutes, and really needed to step aside to let other people have access to the vegetable display.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MOM21SON

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
I have a funny story to tell.  Thankfully the woman and her husband had the same sense of humor as me.

I needed wing sauce, I waited a few minutes because they were examining each bottle of wing sauce.  Finally I left and finished my shopping.  When I went back they were gone.

When I went to check out I happened to get right behind them.  When I set my wing sauce on the belt, she happened to see it and said, "Is that sauce good?"  I told her we liked it.

Then she said, "We stood there for 20 minutes and couldn't make a decision.  I'm sure people were wondering what we were doing."

I said, "well, I was kinda wondering, it was the longest 20 minutes of my life."

At first she started apologizing, then we all started laughing and had a nice conversation about chicken wings! 

dking99

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
At the natural market-type grocery store I occasionally visit I ran into this and I admit I was super annoyed. A family of three - mom, dad, and teenaged son, were parked in front of the small meat section, three people wide blocking all the beef section. Dad was staring into space, son was on his phone, and mom was digging through the meat selection. I waited for a bit, then I finished my shopping and went back, and they were still there. I think that's definitely rude, especially if only one was even looking at the products!

Mary Lennox

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »
I don't understand. Why are people so terrified to speak to strangers that they would rather stand and glare at them until they move or come back later rather than take 5 seconds to say "excuse me"?

shhh its me

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
   I don't think its rude to stand close , it's great if someone has enough situational and spacial awareness to predicatively move out of our way but there is almost no where to move to read a label that wont potentially block someone. I do think they should move when someone asks "Excuse me I need to grab...."

Some people do seem to have an innate ability to pick the worst possible place to stand, park their carts and angels to stand at.   Grocery store thread always remind me of the store with HUGE aisle at least 4 carts can pass , every single time I go there someone has their cart perpendicular to the case behind them and then a line of children behind the cart/a second shopper mirroring them in the opposite case/ shelve stocker /an 2 foot temporary display managing to block all 4 lanes.

Peppergirl

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »

Some people do seem to have an innate ability to pick the worst possible place to stand, park their carts and angels to stand at.   Grocery store thread always remind me of the store with HUGE aisle at least 4 carts can pass , every single time I go there someone has their cart perpendicular to the case behind them and then a line of children behind the cart/a second shopper mirroring them in the opposite case/ shelve stocker /an 2 foot temporary display managing to block all 4 lanes.
;D This visual made me laugh and laugh, because I think all of us can relate.  Do you think we all shop at the very same store?

rose red

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
I don't understand either. Everyone has to stand somewhere. Why not say excuse me instead of walking away and coming back later only to get all bothered if they are still there? I've very shy and non-confrontational in real life, but I can manage to summon up an "excuse me." I can also be very unaware of my surroundings. Say excuse me and I step out of the way (well, jump out of the way since a voice often surprises me ;)).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:09:14 PM by rose red »

Jocelyn

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
I say, 'Doesn't it always turn out that if there's two people in the aisle, they both want something from the same spot on the shelf?' whether I'm the person blocking or if I want someone to move. Inevitably, the other person laughs.
Because, really, if I'm looking at the ranch dressing, maybe I can tell you want salad dressing too, but how could I possibly know which flavor and brand? So I'm just as likely to move to block what you want, as to move out of your way. But making a joke, then you can say, 'I want the bacon dressing, to your right' and then I can step left.

Sirius

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
If you really want to read labels, maybe go at a time that isn't as busy.  The store I went to this morning is open 24/7, and because it was supposed to be hot today I got up and went way earlier than I usually do.  The store wasn't nearly as crowded as it usually is even on weekdays. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »
That's the one (possibly only) thing I do miss about working nights/weekends.  I was always able to go to the store in very off times. Much, much easier to deal with on all things.

Although I admit it was for my own sanity, not anyone elses.  ;D