News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: There is an issue with your date...UPDATE page 65  (Read 27792 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: There is an issue with your date...
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
According to the original post, the aunt didn't seem to remember that the OP was getting married then too.  I can't say that they handled it wrongly when they didn't even remember.  I doubt that I would remember an out-of-state cousin's wedding date that was almost a year away.

I really don't think that anyone was being rude.

I agree with Vall.  After re-reading the original post, I don't see where std's were actually sent and even if std was received not everyone has next year's calendar at the ready to write in what's coming or sticks every notice they receive up on the refrigerator.

If I received an std 18 months in advance for something requiring me to give up a rare 3 day weekend I would probably give it a glance, toss it and go on about my life.  My thinking that I don't know what I am having for lunch later today much less what I'm going to be doing 18 months from now...

I'm wondering if these cousins are as close as they once were ? 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
There's some good advice in this this thread so I won't add my two cents.

I was just wondering, though - since this is in the Wedding Guests folder - if anyone else read the tag line "There is an issue with your date..." and assumed it was going to be about a bride who tells a guest that her plus-one is an obnoxious jerk?

Ha, that was my exact thought!  I was like, wow, what did the date do?!?

"... an issue with your date ..."  Like those above, I thought it was going to be something like a guest bringing a +1 who had been stalking the bride for years or something!  Or the bride's ex-husband.

Either that or a guest telling the HC they needed to reschedule for the guest's convenience.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
I've found that word of mouth is not that great for disseminating things like wedding dates.  We learned of the date of a nephew's wedding through 2 different channels - one person told us the wrong year

Waltzes with Cacti

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
There's some good advice in this this thread so I won't add my two cents.

I was just wondering, though - since this is in the Wedding Guests folder - if anyone else read the tag line "There is an issue with your date..." and assumed it was going to be about a bride who tells a guest that her plus-one is an obnoxious jerk?

Ha, that was my exact thought!  I was like, wow, what did the date do?!?

"... an issue with your date ..."  Like those above, I thought it was going to be something like a guest bringing a +1 who had been stalking the bride for years or something!  Or the bride's ex-husband.

Either that or a guest telling the HC they needed to reschedule for the guest's convenience.

Ha! Funny you should mention it. This week, Dear Prudence has got a doozy of a letter about a FSIL who insists that the bride postpone the wedding until FSIL has had breast implants because FSIL wants to look good in the wedding album.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2015/06/dear_prudence_classic_wedding_advice_from_recent_years.2.html

creativecat

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
I'm a bit late in the game, but I thought a few of the responses were a bit harsh.

It's a wedding - emotions and stress levels are generally high, and - having been in a similar situation - I completely get where the OP is coming from.

My advice to the OP - let it go, and don't worry about it. All that really matters is that you and  your FH get married and enjoy your day. The stuff that doesn't go right or the people who can or can't come won't matter by the end of it - unless you allow it to do so. Letting it get to you will only zap your energy and joy.

Best of Luck!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:06:45 AM by creativecat »

Mopsy428

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
I have an update, but I'd just like to say that I find it really odd that people can't remember dates. I am one of those people who just remembers them - birthdays, anniversaries, dates of death, dates of funerals, etc., etc. My family and friends think it's very strange, but I just have a knack for that, so when someone says, "I didn't remember the date you said!" I cannot relate.

We don't have any grandparents left (mutual, anyway...I am unsure if her paternal grandparents are still alive). Ours would have been close to 100 if they were alive. (Needless to say, I am not exactly a young bride.) I wish they were here, though! We do have the same godmother, which leads me to the update: Lillian was upset because my godmother said that she would be attending my wedding, and not hers. (I didn't think she was invited, but she was.) One of Lillian's sisters questioned her about why she was having it on my date. Lillian and her fiance moved it to mid-April; my aunt said that late May was too hot for an outside wedding. Then Lillian's future BIL eloped. Lillian and her fiance were hurt, so they are getting married on the Wednesday before their original April date and then having a barbecue that Saturday.

Lillian mentioned to her mother that if she went up to my wedding, she was thinking about having the family over my aunt's house for a "green party" barbecue the night before my wedding for her ["northern state"] reception. I asked my aunt what a "green party" was, and my aunt said that it was a party where people give cash (the "green") to a married couple.

I laughed. This is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard of - essentially a "give me money" party. Either the rehearsal dinner or the Australia/Philippines get together is that night, so I won't be going to the green party and neither will my brothers and sisters and parents. At this point, I am so bogged down with work, I don't even care; I just can't wait to be married and be on my two week honeymoon. I kind of wished I eloped, not because of the stress of planning (quite a bit is done; we only have about 30% of our checklist to complete), but because when I went into the reception tent this past August to see the set-up in person, I imagined all the people at the reception staring at me, and I started to panic.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:00:27 PM by Mopsy428 »

Deetee

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
I have an update, but I'd just like to say that I find it really odd that people can't remember dates. I am one of those people who just remembers them - birthdays, anniversaries, dates of death, dates of funerals, etc., etc. My family and friends think it's very strange, but I just have a knack for that, so when someone says, "I didn't remember the date you said!" I cannot relate.

It's real.

I cannot remember dates. I can't remember birthdays. It took about 10 years to remember my husbands. I even forgot my daughters birthday when she was 4. I was so focused on remembering which year she was born, I said the wrong day to the nurse when picking up vaccination records. I check my kids birth certificates before going to the doctor now.

I am very good at some intellectual things. Spelling and dates are not some of them.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »

It's real.

I cannot remember dates. I can't remember birthdays. It took about 10 years to remember my husbands. I even forgot my daughters birthday when she was 4. I was so focused on remembering which year she was born, I said the wrong day to the nurse when picking up vaccination records. I check my kids birth certificates before going to the doctor now.

I am very good at some intellectual things. Spelling and dates are not some of them.

For me, I can remember dates, after a fashion. If you ask me when my anniversary is, or my kid's birthday, or something else significant, I can tell you. But I can't make it work in the other direction. If you say "Are you free October 20th," I will probably not remember that I've got a dinner scheduled then. In other words, my associative memory works event->date but fails date->event.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2015, 08:54:01 PM »

We don't have any grandparents left (mutual, anyway...I am unsure if her paternal grandparents are still alive). Ours would have been close to 100 if they were alive. (Needless to say, I am not exactly a young bride.) I wish they were here, though! We do have the same godmother, which leads me to the update: Lillian was upset because my godmother said that she would be attending my wedding, and not hers. (I didn't think she was invited, but she was.) One of Lillian's sisters questioned her about why she was having it on my date. Lillian and her fiance moved it to mid-April; my aunt said that late May was too hot for an outside wedding. Then Lillian's future BIL eloped. Lillian and her fiance were hurt, so they are getting married on the Wednesday before their original April date and then having a barbecue that Saturday.

Lillian mentioned to her mother that if she went up to my wedding, she was thinking about having the family over my aunt's house for a "green party" barbecue the night before my wedding for her ["northern state"] reception. I asked my aunt what a "green party" was, and my aunt said that it was a party where people give cash (the "green") to a married couple.

I laughed. This is just about the silliest thing I've ever heard of - essentially a "give me money" party. Either the rehearsal dinner or the Australia/Philippines get together is that night, so I won't be going to the green party and neither will my brothers and sisters and parents. At this point, I am so bogged down with work, I don't even care; I just can't wait to be married and be on my two week honeymoon. I kind of wished I eloped, not because of the stress of planning (quite a bit is done; we only have about 30% of our checklist to complete), but because when I went into the reception tent this past August to see the set-up in person, I imagined all the people at the reception staring at me, and I started to panic.  :-\

Urg, I've never heard of a "green party" but it sounds terrible! If I was invited to this, I'd be cheeky and give them a leafy pot plant or something!

TaterTot

Re: There is an issue with your date...UPDATE page 65
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
If I was invited to a "green party," I would assume they wanted something that had been recycled!  >:D

shhh its me

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2015, 01:03:59 AM »
If I was invited to a "green party," I would assume they wanted something that had been recycled!  >:D

I thought it was for Eco-friendly gifts.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
I have to say I'm not overly impressed with Lilian. It's good that she switched the date when she was upset about her godmother not coming (that is one of the problems with having two events the same day - people have to choose. And if godmother learned about OP's date first, that's as good a reason as any). But the green party sounds horrible (maybe it's traditional in some places, but obviously not in the family if OP had to ask) and I think throwing a party like that the night before the wedding you're in town to go to sounds even worse. OP seems to have a good attitude about it though.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »
I would think that they wanted a plant.   

Rapunzel1974

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »

Urg, I've never heard of a "green party" but it sounds terrible! If I was invited to this, I'd be cheeky and give them a leafy pot plant or something!

Maybe there's a place online that sells fake plastic cannabis plants. That would be the ultimate in cheekiness.

daen

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »

Maybe there's a place online that sells fake plastic cannabis plants. That would be the ultimate in cheekiness.

I may have told this story before... for as long as I could remember, my church had these tall skinny cheesy fake plants with skinny leaves at the front of the sanctuary. I had never given it any thought.

One Sunday, there were guests in church, seated in the pew ahead of me. Before the service started, one poked the other in the side, pointed at the plants, and said (in a whisper, but I could hear it reasonably well), "Hey, marijuana."

I was on church council at the time, and there was a council meeting that week, so I mentioned the incident there as a funny story.

The plants were gone from the sanctuary that Sunday, and from the church within three months.

/threadjack