News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50/50 Draws  (Read 16769 times)

Shalamar

50/50 Draws
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
I was at a social on Saturday night.  (This is a Canadian Prairie tradition - you rent a hall, sell tickets, and the attendees buy drinks and silent auction tickets and 50/50/tickets.  All proceeds go towards whatever the social is being given for - sometime it's a charity, sometimes it's for a couple getting married.)  This particular social was raising money for cancer research.

Anyway, the 50/50/draw was held, and the happy winner was told that his half of the money was $220.  Then, the person with the microphone not-so-subtly suggested that the winner donate his half to the cause.  I have no idea what he said, but honestly, if it had been me, I would have said "I'm afraid that won't be possible."  It would be very tricky doing that without looking like a greedy pig who doesn't care about cancer, though.

What does EHell think?

Goosey

Re: 50/50 Draws
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
This has happened at every 50/50 Draw I've seen and I think it's very rude to put the winner on the spot like that. The event runner may not care about rude since their job is to raise money, but it's always made me uncomfortable and I feel sorry for the poor winner.

If anything, they should wait until after they hand it out and get off stage, but it seems like a strategy to public humiliate someone into donating.

HannahGrace

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
50/50 raffles tend to go like this, in my experience.  The last few I've been to, the organizer didn't suggest that the winner donate the money back, but it was understood that they would and they did so immediately. 

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
I think it is extremely poor taste for the organizers to try and shame participants into giving up part of their winnings. I would have responded with "Sure, just as soon as I see you writing an additional check matching that donation" said with a smile and a laugh.

I've been to drawings & auctions where it is "assumed" that portions of the winnings will be donated back and I've seen people who weren't aware of these assumptions be put in very bad position*. So I think it's important that these type of suggestions be conveyed in a general way prior to participation. "Donations of items won back to the school would be greatly appreciated.".... "The organization will gratefully accept a portion of your drawings winning if you so choose to donate." are common ways I've seen it phrased to present the idea that is sort of an expectation... but of course not an enforceable requirement.

NFPwife

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
I also have seen this happen numerous times and have heard a story from an event organizer about a couple who was booed, loudly and pretty aggressively, for not giving their share back.

If you're prepared to give a portion of the winnings to the organization, you can get a jump on the announcer by giving that amount. I've seen it done a couple times, very smoothly, it looked like "Oh, thank you. Here's an additional donation (small, slight emphasis on additional)" while you peel a little money off the top of the stack. DH and I have an agreement that if we win a 50/50 drawing for a charitable cause we give 25% of the winnings to the cause. If we win at a sporting (or similar) event, we keep the whole amount.

If you're not prepared to give a share of the winnings back, I think you act like you didn't hear the direct request, say thank you, and get out of the spotlight quickly.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »
Hmmm. 50/50 raffles aren't super common in my area (although I've heard of them), but to me that kind of defeats the purpose of having a raffle. What am I winning then? Why wouldn't I just pick an amount I'm comfortable donating and donate that? I will think long and hard about ever participating in one of these now that I've read this.

I think it's extremely rude to put public pressure on people to donate money.

Hillia

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
Wow, that's weird. 50/50 drawings are pretty common at square dances, but the amounts are generally small... I don't think I've seen one where they winner got more than $20-25, and I've never seen anyone pressured to donate the money back to the host club; in fact, the winter is usually cheered and congratulated.

alice

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Around here, it depends on the event.  We have 50/50 at Pop Warner cheer events.  The 50/50 helps support the scholarship program.  Winners keep their share.

Beef and beers for individuals fighting for their lives, (cancer, etc..) people usually let the organization keep the winner share.  People seem to know this going in.  Basically, the cost you pay for the 50/50 is just another donation.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »
Beef and beers for individuals fighting for their lives, (cancer, etc..) people usually let the organization keep the winner share.  People seem to know this going in.  Basically, the cost you pay for the 50/50 is just another donation.

So why call it a 50/50 draw instead of just a donation? Why go through the added hassle of selling and drawing the tickets if what you really mean is "give me your money"?

Kiwipinball

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

So why call it a 50/50 draw instead of just a donation? Why go through the added hassle of selling and drawing the tickets if what you really mean is "give me your money"?

That's my confusion too. I mean it's obviously a kind gesture if the winner wants to donate, but it seems very odd to me that the expectation is that the winner will donate the money. And unwritten/unspoken expectations can be very dangerous. All it takes is one person to not know and then there's drama.

gollymolly2

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
It takes away the incentive to donate more, too. Mote people are likely to donate larger amounts if they might get some back. If an organization wants to keep 100% of the money, that's fine, but they need to call it a "donation." Calling it a 50/50 raffle and then strong-arming the winners into donating their half is so not cool.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »
This has been discussed here a number of times.

Personally, I find it extremely rude and unfair. If you're going to call something a "50/50 Draw," then you need to stick to that.  Why should I contribute money for the chance to win nothing? If you want me to just donate to someone, then ask that way; don't dress it up as something else.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Shalamar

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »

Whoops, sorry!  I should have searched for a similar topic before I opened this one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.  I enter draws and contests with the idea that I might win something.   If I'm going to be pressured into giving  up my prize, I'm just not going to enter anymore, which is the complete opposite of what the fundraiser had in mind.

There was another (possible) issue at the same social.  There were a lot of really nice prizes in the silent auction.  Four or five people won more than once.   Would it have been polite of them to give up their additional prizes?  (I didn't win anything, but I have to admit - if I had won more than one prize, I probably would've kept everything.  Luck of the draw, and all that.)

HannahGrace

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »

Whoops, sorry!  I should have searched for a similar topic before I opened this one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this annoying.  I enter draws and contests with the idea that I might win something.   If I'm going to be pressured into giving  up my prize, I'm just not going to enter anymore, which is the complete opposite of what the fundraiser had in mind.

There was another (possible) issue at the same social.  There were a lot of really nice prizes in the silent auction.  Four or five people won more than once.   Would it have been polite of them to give up their additional prizes?  (I didn't win anything, but I have to admit - if I had won more than one prize, I probably would've kept everything.  Luck of the draw, and all that.)

I'm confused about what you mean by "silent auction" - I have seen the term used for items that people can bid on, putting down the highest price they are willing to donate to "win" the item - I don't see how someone could give up if they won such an auction.  If you mean the kind of fundraiser where you buy raffle tickets and throw them in a basket to win an item, then I can see how someone could decline the prize but I don't really think they should feel obligated to do so.

rose red

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
I think it's awful. Just ask for donations without this nonsense of a fake raffle. Food and drinks are enough for a fundraiser without , you know, humiliating donors. They could raffle off baked goods or dollar store items just for fun, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:36:40 PM by rose red »