News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 06:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would I be an overdressed guest?  (Read 7577 times)

shhh its me

Re: Would I be an overdressed guest?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
  I think its perfect.  The pattern is fine , it might be too bold for destination wedding to a working Amish farm but for Hawaii beach seem perfect.

Waltzes with Cacti

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
I think it's perfect. You're going to need a strapless bra.

Calypso

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 06:21:18 PM »

Which will be a first for me.  8)

Waltzes with Cacti

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

Which will be a first for me.  8)

Oops, sorry, I overstepped. You didn't ask for undergarment advice. Anyway, it's a lovely dress and the wedding sounds like it's going to be heavenly.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07:32 PM »
You'd be a best dressed guest, that's certain, because that dress nails it.  you can wear strappy sandals and also bring along your slippers for when the mood or venue changes.

You must buy this dress! ;)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
I'll be the voice of dissent here. If the wedding is pretty low-key and beachy, I think you risk standing out a lot.

No one at the summer dressy-casual weddings I have been to has worn a dress that bold and splashy. Only a very few have worn long dresses at all.

(Then again, it could just be that I find that print and style combo jarring -- it confuses my sense of whether the dress is formal or not. To each their own -- maybe it's just not my thing.)

Waltzes with Cacti

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
I'll be the voice of dissent here. If the wedding is pretty low-key and beachy, I think you risk standing out a lot.

No one at the summer dressy-casual weddings I have been to has worn a dress that bold and splashy. Only a very few have worn long dresses at all.

(Then again, it could just be that I find that print and style combo jarring -- it confuses my sense of whether the dress is formal or not. To each their own -- maybe it's just not my thing.)

Jmarvellous, the wedding is in Hawaii where loud, splashy prints are the norm. I'll bet that some of the male guests (possibly even the officiant) will be sporting vibrant tropical shirts that will make the OP's pretty dress seem almost subdued.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 12:36:08 PM »
I agree - Hawaii has a rather different approach to color & print than the mainland.  Look up Hawaiian dresses and Hawaiian shirts - the photographic print of a splash of water is downright subdued compared to some of those.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

oogyda

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »
OP, i'm wondering if you have received the dress yet, and if you've decided to wear it?

Personally, I think it would be great for a small beach wedding like you have described.  Dressy, yet casual "enough" (I see maxi dresses worn all over, all the time), and the print is beautiful!  So beautiful that I had ordered it myself before I saw this post.  I had to order it in a 'plus size"  and the listing in that section said it was "rayon".  It turned out to be nylon and I just can't wear nylon in the heat, so I had to return it.  I'm curious what you thought of it once you had it on.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

tabitha

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »

Beautiful dress!! I think it will be wonderful and I hope it feels great!

I wasn't aware of an etiquette rule about long dresses.  Surely dresses may be deemed too short, but what is wrong with a long dress?  I can't imagine what it could be.  And what ever the long dress rule is, what if you just don't want to show your legs?  What if you are overweight, or older, or have varicose veins does that mean you must chose pants over a long dress?  Please advise. :)

LtPowers

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
what is wrong with a long dress?

Nothing, inherently. But if one shows up in a full-length ball gown while the other ladies are in tea-length dresses, there's a formality mismatch, akin to showing up in white tie when the other gentlemen are in business suits.

Powers  &8^]