News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too stunned to pass the Bean Dip need to resit this test!  (Read 9798 times)

KenveeB

Re: Too stunned to pass the Bean Dip need to resit this test!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
I"m just shocked at the "surely you must want to be pregnant" comment. I can't wrap my mind around that enough to even come up with an answer, and I'm not even face with the situation live! I think the best I would be able to manage is a stunned "Excuse me?" or just complete silence, then change the subject as soon as possible. Don't engage the crazy.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
I have a ready-made comment to come up with - "Menopause" - I suppose I could consider that I'm quoting Diane Keaton in "Something's Gotta Give" when he mentioned the need for birth control rather than a comment about a possible pregnancy...

Seriously, someone who would insist that they know that you are pregnant when you know that you are not?

Shut the conversation down without blood or tears being shed and Evil & Snarky will applaud your diplomacy.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

NFPwife

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »
Am I the only person now getting banner ads for cool sculpting and ultrasonic treatments for my tummy? At least AdChoices knows it's pudge.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
One day my husband and I were talking with the neighbours, one couple has a baby girl.  My husband says to me "Aww honey, don't you want one?"  (he knows I don't and we are totally fine, we just joke around sometimes.)  I said "No way man.  You know what happens after you have a kid?  Every time you sneeze you pee your pants."  Both mothers in the group looked at him perfectly serious, nodded and said "It's true." 

;D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »
I think I would want to reply with "surely you didn't mean to be that rude".  Gah!  Some people!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
I had somebody say this to me once when I had had a baby a few months before.  I don't remember how old the baby was, but she was old enough that it wasn't immediately postpartum (where you're naturally bigger because your uterus hasn't shrunk back down and all that), so it was definitely fat.

I don't remember how she phrased it, but I think she pointed to my stomach, pantomimed rocking her arms, and said, "Baby?" with a smile.  (Non-native English speaker.)  It's hard to explain in writing, but in person it was fairly clear that she was asking if I was pregnant.  However, it was also very easy for me, in that context, to say, "Oh, yes, I did have a baby!  She's five months old now!" or whatever she was.  To the extent that she understood me (and I think she did), it was sort of a natural bean dip.  She blushed a little but took it in stride and said something along the line of congratulations.  Of course, having a young-ish child, even if the fat is your own, is handy bean dip that doesn't really work for everyone!
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

PinkPixie

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 06:49:22 AM »
This woman crossed more lines than I ever thought possible - all in one short conversation. Was she trying to break some sort of world record?!

I think I would have reacted exactly how you did, OP - and answered the questions out of shock and not knowing what else to do. That's one of the reasons I vow to visit etiquette hell more often so I can equip myself with the right methods of dealing with these .. people!