News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clueless or Special Snowflake Neighbor? Update #800 - "The Day After"  (Read 211417 times)

shhh its me

Re: Clueless or Special Snowflake Neighbor? Update #64 - And So It Begins
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »
I'd just do the same thing. Stick 'em in a box by the front door and let them go bad.

For crying out loud, cheesecake? I was working so hard to give Neighbor the benefit of the doubt, but that's ridiculous.

I wonder, is someone else going to show up asking for the cheesecake? Why would anyone need that much cheesecake unless it were for an event?

I could give them the benefit of the doubt. A note starting with sorry "I made X mistake , please ....."  I could hear an actual please.   I can even see leaving the note at 5 am and being able to call/text/email the company at 9 am (before the ship leaves port) but to cancel the cheesecakes. 

I could even forgive if the note said.....
 " P.S.  I hope you like cheesecake; Some cheesecakes we ordered from a charity may be coming while we're gone . Feel free to enjoy them and/or give them away. Any you don't want  to deal with just toss in our bin."  Its still a pain but I can see assuming giving the neighbors the cheesecake is nice and that they would want one at least and maybe they would like to take the others to their offices/family/friend.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
But who are the two ladies? I mean, when a delivery comes from a business, it's not two ladies with baskets, it's a man with a van, and if you refuse delivery, he takes the goods away again, cursing you under his breath. I suspect that the company will be baffled - this sounds to me more like several friends ordering together to pay only one delivery charge and then divvying up the goods when they arrive, particularly if they knew the name of the person who had ordered the things. A delivery person won't refer to 'Liz'  but to Mrs Neighbour.

I can see if it's a smaller charity or some sort of fundraiser, maybe using volunteers to help with the deliveries.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »
But who are the two ladies? I mean, when a delivery comes from a business, it's not two ladies with baskets, it's a man with a van, and if you refuse delivery, he takes the goods away again, cursing you under his breath. I suspect that the company will be baffled - this sounds to me more like several friends ordering together to pay only one delivery charge and then divvying up the goods when they arrive, particularly if they knew the name of the person who had ordered the things. A delivery person won't refer to 'Liz'  but to Mrs Neighbour.

I can see if it's a smaller charity or some sort of fundraiser, maybe using volunteers to help with the deliveries.

Also, hobby bakers (if these came from a hobby baker) wouldn't necessarily have a man with a van (in fact, from what I gather from the FB cake groups to which I belong, many of them are single-person businesses and working from home).

Raintree

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
Wait a sec......are you sure the cheesecakes weren't a gift of thanks for looking after the mail?

I am not excusing the note - if you want neighbours to pick up your mail, you ASK them, but for now I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume cluelessness about wording their "request" and "Oh let's send OP some cheesecake as thanks since we flew out the door with only a note."

Because who orders cheesecake to arrive while they are on vacation? Who just assumes a neighbour has room for stuff in their fridge? Mind you, stranger things have happened here on e-hell.

I will be curious to hear what happens when these neighbours get back, ie what they say.

Carotte

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2015, 02:04:31 PM »
Wait a sec......are you sure the cheesecakes weren't a gift of thanks for looking after the mail?

I am not excusing the note - if you want neighbours to pick up your mail, you ASK them, but for now I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume cluelessness about wording their "request" and "Oh let's send OP some cheesecake as thanks since we flew out the door with only a note."

Because who orders cheesecake to arrive while they are on vacation? Who just assumes a neighbour has room for stuff in their fridge? Mind you, stranger things have happened here on e-hell.

I will be curious to hear what happens when these neighbours get back, ie what they say.

But four cheesecakes? Without making sure the Cousin would even like one?
That sounds like a very weird train of thoughts, plus they then could have told the delivering ladies that they should present them like a gift.
But well, they could have told them not to deliver them at all so who knows, neighbors sounds really really clueless.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

But four cheesecakes? Without making sure the Cousin would even like one?
That sounds like a very weird train of thoughts, plus they then could have told the delivering ladies that they should present them like a gift.
But well, they could have told them not to deliver them at all so who knows, neighbors sounds really really clueless.

The bolded would make me think this isn't a gift -- that plus the below:

The lady who spoke said “Liz” told them to deliver to her neighbor at 123 Main Street as she was leaving for vacation.

Granted, I'm on the side of assuming more bad on the part of the neighbor, rather than the neighbor being gracious, but I find the actions all very questionable, starting with just assuming someone you can't have been bothered to introduce yourself to in four years would be automatically willing to do a favor for you, including storing perishables (I find *four* cheesecakes as a gift highly unlikely).

Raintree

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
Yeah, the whole thing is very weird. If I were going on vacation I would not be ordering four cheesecakes to arrive while I was away.

Zizi-K

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
I think if it were me, I would have accepted them and then enjoyed them. It sounds like the came with no note, no instructions, and no indication of who they were for and on what occasion. I would have (perhaps willfully) assumed they were a thank-you gift. I hate to see food go to waste, so I think it was pretty terrible of the women to just leave them outside, understanding that they would probably not be noticed until they had gone off and were inedible.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
I think if it were me, I would have accepted them and then enjoyed them. It sounds like the came with no note, no instructions, and no indication of who they were for and on what occasion. I would have (perhaps willfully) assumed they were a thank-you gift. I hate to see food go to waste, so I think it was pretty terrible of the women to just leave them outside, understanding that they would probably not be noticed until they had gone off and were inedible.

I take that as in indication that Cousin is not the only one ready to be done with "Liz".

katiekat2009

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
Perhaps she meant them as a thank you gift to the neighbor for handling her mail?

shhh its me

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Perhaps she meant them as a thank you gift to the neighbor for handling her mail?

One maybe , unless they were personal cheesecakes and its a 4 person household (and for a 4 person household I'd think there would be a normal sized cheesecake available) , 4 cheesecakes is a really odd gift. I'd be open to  hearing an explanation but at this point I'd be taking things at face value not looking for excuses to make this less snowflakey.

m2kbug

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't check in yesterday to see this one! :o  So what did Cousin decide to do?  Did she decide to go ahead and deal with papers or not?  Sorry if I missed an update on that one.  It's kind of a toss up between doing it just this once and telling the neighbors not to do it again without first asking her, and taking a chance of giving "permission" for them to do it again.  Unfortunately, following through on this order could end up being "permission" for the neighbors to do it again, since she did it last time, she won't mind.  Of course there's the issue of maintaining friendly neighbor relations.  It's always the second one that gets in trouble, isn't it, even if it was the first that was at fault.  It wouldn't be a big deal to grab flyers or the newspaper, TBO, but I think I'd just let the mailbox fill and let them deal with the aftermath of having to go to the Post Office to pick up mail and reestablish their mail with bill people.

Even if this cousin had the ability to store the cheesecakes, I'd question if they would still be good after almost a week-and-a-half go by.  It boggles the mind why the ladies from xxx.org thought it was a good idea to leave cheesecakes outdoors in the summer at all, and especially when Cousin said she could not store them and to return them.

I'm eager to hear the updates. 

blarg314

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »

Oh good grief!   :o

I'd be tempted to do just enough to keep the house from being a target of thieves (ie, leave a full mailbox, refuse deliveries, but toss visible newspapers into the recycling bin).

And yes, someone who had time to make phone calls to re-route deliveries had time to put a hold on their mail and paper, so we're fully in special snowflake mode here.

MrTango

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
So after having the delivery refused, the deliverers just left the baskets outside on Cousin's property?

Seems to me that falls under the category of littering.

Danika

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »
Oh the special snowflake neighbors just took this to a new level of crazy. I'm predicting more weird deliveries in the coming days. I think Cousin should stop opening her door when the doorbell rings and just put a note on her front door saying something like "no deliveries. Do not place anything on my doorstep."

And if people do despite that, she needs to add a line to the note that says something like "no trespassing." Depending on where she lives, and how that needs to be worded to get the point across.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.