News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?  (Read 4932 times)

Lillie82

"Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
Are there any kinds of threads that are exceptions to the rule about not resurrecting a really old thread?

Such as "Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly" (since those are general advice, rather than relating to a specific story or incident)?

Or how about something like Cute Pet Stories?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: "Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
As far as I know the general rule of thumb is:

- If the OP is a question to be answered, leave it alone.
- If the OP is a topic for discussion, leave it alone.
- If the thread is for sharing of stories (like the "Special Snowflakes" thread) you're probably fine, if you post with a new story rather than commenting on an existing one.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

shhh its me

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:07:57 AM »
   I do think updates are an exception. Sometimes threads are about weddings happening 2 years out, updates on those can be fun. 

A poster can have  follow up question , I don't think its wrong to resurrect a thread to ask a follow up but there is the option of starting  new thread with a link to the older one.

Discussions about books and movies can resurrect when the next season comes out/next in the series or threads about specific people may become relevant as news updates.

Redsoil

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:50:47 AM »
I find, at times, an old story with new plot twists (AKA updates) can be useful.  Often, forum members become interested in issues that hopefully will come to a good conclusion, but it takes time for a resolution to be reached.  Always nice to know someone has a good update to concerns posed initially.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
If there's a reason for resurrecting the thread, go for it. Sometimes an OP has had an update or someone else asks for a follow up.  Some long threads go into hibernation for a few weeks or months & then wake up, as it were.

Common sense is the rule.

Lillie82

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »
Didn't someone say that Miss Jeanne would prefer we not discuss on the forums stories that originate on the main blog (which is what the Ehell Classics thread originally was)?

I am assuming this is at least partly because it would become duplicative of the blog itself?

That being the case, is there any kind of rule paralleling the "zombie thread" rule for the blog? Does a blog post ever become too old to add a comment?

Mary Lennox

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
I don't think there's an official rule, but once the post has left the main page, does anyone really read it? I think you can comment all you want on the older posts, but people aren't going to see it anyway.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »
I don't think there's an official rule, but once the post has left the main page, does anyone really read it? I think you can comment all you want on the older posts, but people aren't going to see it anyway.

Adding a comment brings the post back to the top of the list.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:40 AM »

Adding a comment brings the post back to the top of the list.

I think Mary was answering Lillie's question about commenting on blog posts.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
Speaking of "zombie" threads, a question about the opposite: Is there ever any call to just let massive threads die?

I'm thinking here of the Special Snowflake thread, which is one of the giants that I have never posted in after 5+ years because I don't want to be notified of the next million posts every time I look at "See new replies to your posts."

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »
Speaking of "zombie" threads, a question about the opposite: Is there ever any call to just let massive threads die?

I'm thinking here of the Special Snowflake thread, which is one of the giants that I have never posted in after 5+ years because I don't want to be notified of the next million posts every time I look at "See new replies to your posts."

I wish there was a way to "unsubscribe" from such threads. I commented on some of those mega threads years ago, and still have them show up in my New Replies tab.

Lynn2000

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »

I know what you mean, but it doesn't bother me too much. I've gotten used to my "show new replies to your posts" list automatically being 2 pages, with the bottom half (or more) being those older, massive threads I posted in once. Every once in a while I go to the most recent page and see how things are going, and then the thread disappears for a while.
~Lynn2000