News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Save the Date ... for whom?  (Read 8118 times)

ClaireC79

Re: Save the Date ... for whom?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 03:49:17 AM »
You also sometimes get the situation where the one you are related to uses a different name with family than their actual name, so if Christine has always been known to you as Tina (but maybe as she's grown up gone back to her actual name) you may not grasp it's the same person

Maxie

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
I had this happen with a wedding invite. The groom had the same last name, but I had no clue who it was. We do not have a common name, and truly every "MyLastName" in this country is some sort of relative, but I have not met and am in no way close to most of them! My first name is not at all common, so unlikely anyone would think I was that *other* person with my real name.

My parents did not get an invite, but after some thought, figured out that it was (he thinks) a grandson of a second cousin who he hadn't seen or heard from in over 40 years (which was before I was born at that point). I had never even heard of any of them. I figure they searched for all the "MyLastNames" in the country and just sent invites - only thing that made sense. 

They had very helpfully included full printouts of their wedding registry, and included an address to send gifts, but I decided to not attend and not send a gift.

Caycep

Re: Save the Date ... for whom? update p.2!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
We got another one today.  Different couple, this time it's got full names and a city where the wedding will be held, but no return address.  We absolutely do not know these people  - but I'm feeling bad for the person with my husband's name who isn't getting their family's save-the-dates.  I'm assuming the invitations will start rolling in soon; when they do, we'll contact the couples to let them know what's going on. 

Rapunzel1974

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
I'm probably being completely paranoid and a little bit crazy, but what if this is a new gift-grabbing trend? Go online, find as many people as possible who share your name but who live far away, and invite them to the wedding without giving them enough information to allow them to actually attend? It would make for a pretty good movie plot.

Browyn

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
I didn't bother with save the date cards but I did send out an email to ahead of time asking our friends for postal mailing addresses and "your name as the US Postal Service thinks of you" since so many people have nicknames. 

DH's mom remarried when he was very young (his Dad passed when he was under a year old and she remarried when he was 3)and his step Dad also passed a few years before we married.  We were sure some of his family would not connect his last name with hers.  So we did:

My Parents name
Invite you to wedding of their daughter
Browyn

to DH Lname
Son of MIL different Lname

It wasn't technically proper (since she wasn't hosting) but it was worth it to eliminate confusion.

TootsNYC

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
I'm probably being completely paranoid and a little bit crazy, but what if this is a new gift-grabbing trend? Go online, find as many people as possible who share your name but who live far away, and invite them to the wedding without giving them enough information to allow them to actually attend? It would make for a pretty good movie plot.

But how will the unsuspecting dupes/guests send them any presents? They have to include -some- level of contact info if the scheme is going to work.

gellchom

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
I didn't bother with save the date cards but I did send out an email to ahead of time asking our friends for postal mailing addresses and "your name as the US Postal Service thinks of you" since so many people have nicknames. 

DH's mom remarried when he was very young (his Dad passed when he was under a year old and she remarried when he was 3)and his step Dad also passed a few years before we married.  We were sure some of his family would not connect his last name with hers.  So we did:

My Parents name
Invite you to wedding of their daughter
Browyn

to DH Lname
Son of MIL different Lname

It wasn't technically proper (since she wasn't hosting) but it was worth it to eliminate confusion.

It was just fine!  Although the "son of" form is not traditional for many styles of American formal invitations, it absolutely is not only proper but the proper formal style for Jewish and Mormon wedding invitations, according to Crane's.  The form you used doesn't suggest she was hosting, either, as this would:

Bride's parents' names
and
Groom's parents' names
invite you to the marriage of their children
Bride
and
Groom

We used that form for our own and for our daughter's wedding, even though only the bride's family was paying for everything in both cases, because to us it felt like the groom's family were hosts, too, not just guests.  Crane's says that is the traditional form for Hispanic weddings, too.

Rapunzel1974

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

But how will the unsuspecting dupes/guests send them any presents? They have to include -some- level of contact info if the scheme is going to work.

Online registries, with everything to be picked up at the store by the con artist.