Author Topic: Favorite Fast Suppers  (Read 1565 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Favorite Fast Suppers
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »
I know that quite a few of us here work or go to school, have kids, husbands, wives etc and need fast homecooked dinners. So I thought that I would start a thread for hurry-up recipes for us to share.
Here's mine:
Hamburger Topping
1 pound ground beef (very lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 and 1/2 cups water
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Brown beef and onion until no longer pink. Drain grease. Add green pepper, tomato, water, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for fifteen minutes until heated through. Serve over hot rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. We like ours over potatoes.

Creamy Noodle Casserole
1 16oz package egg noodles (or No Yolks)
1 lb bag frozen broccoli
3 cups cubed ham (I use two bags of the 98% fat free ham cubes that WalMart carries)
1 cup shredded 2% mozzarella
1 cup parmesean
1/3 cup butter (can use less)
1/2 cup fat free half and half
1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt and pepper

Cook noodles in boiling salted water for five minutes. Add broccoli and ham cook five more minutes until broccoli is cooked and noodles are al dente. Drain and return to pan.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheeses melt, adding more half and half if it looks too thick. Toss pasta thouroughly to coat. I serve this with bag o' spinach salad (when the spinach isn't fatal that is) and the men can't get enough....even my broccoli hating hubby loves this casserole.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: Favorite Fast Suppers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »
From kraftfoods.com:

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 lb.), cut into chunks 
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth 
2 cups (8 oz.) elbow macaroni, uncooked 
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up 
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed 

COOK chicken in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. 
STIR in broth. Bring to boil. Stir in macaroni; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until macaroni is tender. 
ADD VELVEETA and broccoli. Cook until VELVEETA is melted and broccoli is heated through; stirring frequently. 

YUMMY!!!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 01:06:01 PM »
We like Glop in a Pot

Boil 1 lb noodles.  Drain and put in a large mixing bowl
Dump in one large can of pasta sauce, flavor of your choice
Add 1 lb grated mozzarella cheese.  Save some cheese for the top.
Sausage is optional

Mix it all up then put it in a casserole dish.  Put the remaining cheese on top.  Bake until the cheese is goopy.  Serve with a slaad and some bread.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
I posted mine a while back but nobody seemed to care ::) so i am reposting:

this came up on a different thread so let's post ideas for quick and easy meals - not made dehydrated food and hot water....

here are some of my ideas:

tunisian tuna salad/sandwiches
========================
on a big platter or in small bowls (big platter means less clean up!) prepare tuna with mayo, olives, sliced vegetables, some hot sauce/spread, hard boiled egg slices, preserved lemons, capers. everyone takes a bit of eat - either just eat on  a plate or pile into a roll or baguette. (to make these true tunisian tuna sandwiches, you need to prepare your own rolls and then FRY THEM instaed of baking.... I have never done that)

humous and pita
============
to prepare the houmous you blend a can of cooked chickpeas with a little water till it forms a paste, add some lemon juice, garlic, tahini paste, salt.
eat with pita and salad. can dip pita triangles in it.

easy pita pizza
============
slice a pita into two rounds, spread with ketchup, sprinkle with vegetables and cheese and bake till it gets all gooey.

shak-shoo-ka
===========
tasty israeli dish. don't ask me what it means because i have no idea. you make a spicy tomato sauce base: in a large shallow pot with cover, or large frying pan, fry 1-2 chopped onions till golden. add 4-5 peeled and chopped tomatoes or one can of chopped plum tomatoes, garlic, salt, hot paprika and one tablespoon of tom. paste. let it cook down for a bout 15 minutes (you can make this in advance to this point and also you can double this and put half of the sauce in the freezer). now take 1-2 eggs per person and gently break them onto the sauce, cover the pan, lower flame and let it cook about 5 more minutes or until the whites are white and the yolks are set. serve hot with lots of bread for dipping.

grilled cheese
===========
it's worthwhile investing in one of those toaster press things. i forget what they're called. you keep sliced bread and grated cheese in the freezer at all times. then - voila. put some ketchup on the bread, add cheese, add slices of vegetables - onion, mushroom, tomatoe - put together a quick salad and you have a meal.

gotta go! hope other people can add on to this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:28:39 PM »
BLT soup!!
6 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
3 small celery ribs, from the center, cut small
2 small carrots, cut up (I leave these out.. not fond of carrots)
3 leeks, rinsed out well and cut up
3 med potatoes, cut into potato chip slices
2 qts stock
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
some parsley for taste/garnish
salt/pepper to taste

Use a large soup pot to sautee the bacon and put on a plate to drain.  Keep the drippings!  Toss in the celery and leeks.  If you add the carrots, use the veggie peeler to shave them into long strips then chop that up small.  Add that to the pot.  Add the leeks, stirring everything and making sure it's not turning brown. 

Add the stock and tomatoes and toss in the potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.  Throw in the parsley and the bacon.

Use a veggie peeler and shave off long strips of parm cheese.. the real stuff.  Use as a topping once soup is in a bowl.  Serve with lots of crusty bread. 
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »
Pizza quesadillas!!

Gather everything you use to make pizza but not the dough.  Get the sauce and toppings together.

Get a LARGE skillet out.  Place a large flour tortilla on the skillet.  Quickly add in the sauce and all the toppings, but only cover 1/2 the tortilla.  After you put the cheese on, fold the tortilla in half.

Flip once.  PUt it on the plate and let it set for a minute so the cheese isn't so runny.  Slice and enjoy!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
This takes all day, but really, you only cook for about 5 minutes.  The rest is 'let it simmer.'

Bean soup

1 large pack of 'bean soup mix'
1-2 lbs bacon ends and pieces.  Not in the bacon section, but over where the spare parts are in the store.  You know.. where the livers, feet, tripe.. the spare parts. 
1 large onion
2-3 garlic cloves

Get out your biggest stock pot.  Put the beans in and rinse well.  Throw away any floater beans.  Once the beans are rinsed, add enough water to cover the beans with about 3 inches of water.

Run a knife through the bacon stuff just enough to cut it into smaller pieces.  Toss into the pot.  Cut up the onion and garlic and add that.  If needed, add water so everything is covered by about 3 inches of water.  Onions will float, so that's ok.  Bring it to a boil, stir it a bit then turn the heat to low low low low low.  It's done when the beans are shmooshy.

Put a lid on it and let it be on low low low low low all day.   MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.  even better the second day!

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »
Here is a favorite steak and rice dinner here that can be ready in less than 30 minutes.

HINT:  Use a pan that is not non stick.  You want those yummy bits on the bottom.  If you see that the "bits" are getting a bit too dark, jump to the step with the onions and tablespoon of water.  Make the sauce, pour out the sauce.  Then cook remaining steaks in a bit more oil.

Rice and water, enough to feed you and family etc....

Paper Thin steaks - I use the meat department cut meat of either: thin sliced sirloin (also labeled sandwich.  Not Steak Umms)  Or top round thinly cut, also labled as Milano cut.  You can also buy your favorite steak and freeze it for 25 minutes and slice thin.  I have done this with thick tenderloins.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste.

One onion, sliced thin

Parsley for garnishment, optional ( I use Cilantro)

1/2 Cup of water with the juice of one half lime squeezed into it for every 4 steaks.  Doing 8 steaks? Use 1 cup of water with the juice of a whole lime.

Stainless steel fry pan, don't use a non stick kind.

Countdown:

Put rice to cook.

Place pan on medium high and preheat till sizzling. 

Sprinkle all the seasonings on the steaks on both sides.  Pat them in for good adhesion.

Add oil to pan, should dance in pan.  Pour just enough to cover bottom.  I like olive oil. 

Add 2 steaks to pan.  Cook for 4-5 minutes without moving till nicely seared brown.  Flip them over and cook for 1 minute.  Remove, you should have bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  (This is why no non stick)  Cook rest of steaks.  Add oil as needed.

When all the steaks are done, add a tablespoon of water and onions to pan.  Scrape up the bits as you cook the onions.  When softened, add the water/lime mixture to pan.  Scrape really well this time all the bits.  It should be turning a lovely shade of brown and reducing as it bubbles.  Cook for 4-5 minutes or reduced by half.  Sprinkle in parsley (or cilantro) Remove from heat.  Add steaks to plate with mounds of fluffy rice.  Pour sauce on steaks and rice.

Serve with wedges of the remaining half of lime.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »

856-555-6298                             

Hello, Gaetanos?

;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

hitpp

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »
This one is easy, fast, and stores beautifully:
Turkey Chili
2 cans Hunt's Chili flavored tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 pound ground turkey

Brown the turkey, drain.
Add the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with whatever you like with chili.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
My version of Shepherd's Pie:

1/2 pound cooked ground beef (fairly lean)
1 box prepared instant mashed potatoes
1 can corn, or cut up broccoli, or any other veggies you like
optional -- uncooked crescent rolls, like from Pillsbury

In a casserole dish, mix ground beef and veggies together.  Layer mashed potatoes on top.  If you're using the crescent rolls, place the flat dough (don't roll it into crescents) on top of the mashed potatoes.  Bake in oven at 375 for about 11-12 minutes.  The dough gets cooked, or the mashed potatoes get crispy on top.  My family (DH and I, parents, grandparents, cousins) all adore this meal.

Summrs

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 10:22:09 PM »
Ha.. Lady beat me to it.  This is my Mock Shepherd's Pie:

1 lb ground beef
1 can Manwich Sauce
About a cup of frozen or canned corn
About a cup of frozen cut green beans
Mashed potatoes.. boxed, leftover homemade or ready to eat from the store (Country Crock)

Brown the hamburger and add the Manwich sauce as you would for making Sloppy Joe's.. .add the corn and beans until just warm.  Put in to a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes, heat at 350 for about 20 minutes until bubbly and top is brown.

Paper Roses

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 11:28:55 PM »
While we're on the subject of Shepard's Pie:

2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
Barbecue sauce to taste (Beef gravy works, too)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans corn
Mashed potatoes (I make real ones, but the instant work well too)

Brown ground beef and chopped onion and drain.  Add barbecue sauce (or gravy) to taste.  Spread in a 9X13 baking dish.  Spread 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese on top.  Cover cheese with corn, then top corn with mashed potatoes.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake at 350 until heated through and cheese is melted.

(This makes a lot - I have a big family and like a little left over.  I'm sure you could cut it in half)
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.