News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 10:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Long Wait At Reception  (Read 7234 times)

NestHolder

S/O Long Wait At Reception
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »
I've been reading the thread titled 'Long Wait at the Reception' and wondering about the wedding photos. 

It's been a long time since I went to a wedding (in the UK), but my own wedding photos, and my sister's wedding photos, both contain a number of shots which include wedding guests.  My wedding photos, for instance, include both sets of parents (separately and together), wider family from either side, and friends, as well as Everybody.  While the 'official' wedding photos were being taken,  guests were milling about, chatting, and/or taking their own photos.  (Even more so at my sister's wedding, where the required photos were listed and martialled very effectively by the ushers!)

I get the impression that this isn't the case in the USA—am I interpreting correctly that only the 'wedding party', ie bride, groom and attendants, go to be photographed?  Are the parents of bride and groom included?  (To me, they would automatically be part of the 'wedding party', but I think in the US, usage is different.)  What about siblings, grandparents etc?  I'm so used to the idea that the post-ceremony photos are done with everybody present—excepting only those who want to get a head start on arriving at the reception—that I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what is actually happening in the kind of photo session I think is being referred to.

gollymolly2

Re: S/O Long Wait At Reception
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
In my experience in the US, the photographer takes pictures of the couple along with their wedding party immediately after the ceremony. The couple also get formal posed pictures with their parents and other immediate family, either also right after the ceremony or a little later.  Then the photographer takes pictures of everybody (candids, not posed photos) for the entire reception. 

I've seen formal posed pictures with friends and extended family a few times, but that's pretty unusual in my experience.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:26:50 PM by gollymolly2 »

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
We included close family in a lot of our formal photos, during the reception it was mostly candids, but the photographer did take posed photos of the rest of the guests if they wanted them.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
The last few weddings I've been involved in, the family/friends had photos taken at the ceremony location and then the bridal party would go to another location (or two) for more photos while everyone else went to the reception location for the cocktail hour.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
After the ceremony we just got group shots and shots with the wedding party. Then it was just me and DH. Family photos we got at the reception venue after everyone had eaten.

Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »
US. We had pictures of everyone in attendance after the ceremony, then DH and I had photos of just ourselves at the ceremony location for about a half hour while everyone else went to the reception. We had candid shots and posed shots of everyone at the reception.

We didn't do any wedding party only photos. We probably aren't representative of a majority in the US.
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
Posed family photos are the norm. The details certainly vary, but family will almost always expect it to some degree.

We took pictures with every guest (but more formal ones with a half-dozen groupings of family), but that's because our wedding was small.

Thipu1

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
The last Wedding we attended was that of Niece and her Husband.  The affair was held in the back yard of her parents and the formal photos were taken before the ceremony.  Besides the Bridal Party, photos included the siblings of both Bride and Groom, spouses and children of the siblings, parents of the HC and Grandparents in various configurations. 

Photos at the ceremony and reception were somewhat constrained because, during the formal photo shoot, the heavens opened and everything had to be shifted indoors in about 20 minutes.  Still, there were pictures taken of just about everyone who attended and everyone seemed to be having a good time. 

When I worked at the museum, I often took walks in the nearby Botanic Garden during lunch.  On these walks I would frequently see elaborate photo sessions that must have cost a fortune. I remember seeing a crystal coach drawn by four white horses in the parking lot one day.

It all depends on what the couple and the families want.  Even in NYC, some want a shoot worthy of Vanity Fair.
  Others are happy with a few formal pictures of the Bridal Party and informal shots of guests with the HC at the reception.

lmyrs

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
The vast majority of weddings I've attended have photos of the bride with her bridesmaids and the groom with his groomsmen before the wedding. Then after the wedding, there are quick photos done with the bride and groom and their families (usually parents, siblings, grandparents). Then the bridal party does a few more shots and the bride and groom have their shots together. This can take 30 minutes or 2 hours. (Though 2 hour is extremely uncommon.)

I think it just depends on the norm for where you are. I know that there are weddings where there are bride and groom shots before the wedding, but I've never seen one.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
In our family it doesn't seem much has changed in the last 30 years for wedding photos.

Prior to ceremony - Groom and groomsman photos taken, groom with his parents photos taken... Bride and her bridesmaids and her parents taken. Some are the "getting ready" shots and some are posed.

After ceremony we seem to follow the following process for photos in the sanctuary. They normally take about 30-45 min.
Photo with the bride & groom with their respective extended families... aunts, uncles, cousins... then that group can leave and head to the reception if they choose are can stay and watch the photos being taken
Couple with their immediate families... parents, siblings, sibling in laws
Couple with their bridal party... then they can leave and head to the reception
Couple on their own

If there's a large break between the ceremony and reception (we've only had 1 wedding that had a break) then the couple and their wedding party might go to another location for a longer photo session. But normally if the reception immediately follows the ceremony then everyone tries to get the after ceremony photo session done within a 30 min window.

Photos of the couple and their guests will be done at the reception and then there's the candid photos of the dancing, toasts, and just guests in general.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
Immediately after our wedding (this was 11 years ago), we started with photos that had the largest number of people in them.  Parents and siblings of the bride/groom (and their kids), grandmothers and very elderly aunts, entire bridal party (bridesmaids and groomsmen), etc.  We did all the photos with that big group, then we excused the elderly grandmothers and siblings who weren't in the wedding party, and they went on their way.  So then it was just parents of the bride/groom and the wedding party left.  Took photos with parents, then they left.  Took photos with wedding party, then they left.  Finished photos of just bride and groom, and then we left.  So that way we didn't hold onto more people than we needed to, so people were able to walk around, sit down, have a drink, etc.  In our case the reception was at the church, though, so there was no transportation necessary.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Zizi-K

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
I had a large wedding (220 or so guests). DH and I did not want to see each other before the wedding. Some photos were taken prior to the wedding, but immediately following the ceremony was when we took the majority of our "formal" photos. These included us, the wedding party, and every combination of family members. That still left 180 guests (or something like that) who were not a part of those photos, and were thus entertained by the cocktail hour and a string quartet (who also played during the ceremony). Naturally there were plenty of photos taken at other times, with lots of other people, during the dancing etc. But I think most people do try to cram it in between the ceremony and the reception meal.

HannahGrace

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »
The vast majority of weddings I've attended have photos of the bride with her bridesmaids and the groom with his groomsmen before the wedding. Then after the wedding, there are quick photos done with the bride and groom and their families (usually parents, siblings, grandparents). Then the bridal party does a few more shots and the bride and groom have their shots together. This can take 30 minutes or 2 hours. (Though 2 hour is extremely uncommon.)

I think it just depends on the norm for where you are. I know that there are weddings where there are bride and groom shots before the wedding, but I've never seen one.

We took photos around our city before the wedding for a couple of hours at various landmarks.  It was really fun and those are probably my favorite photos from the day.  After the ceremony, we took "formal" photos in various combinations with family members (we did not have a wedding party) and then wandered around the cocktail hour having photos taken with guests but not in any organized kind of way.  The photographer also ran around taking candids of guests (and us) throughout the cocktail hour and reception.  Almost exactly one year ago, wow!

lilfox

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »
All the weddings I've been in the wedding party for, the photos included posed and candid getting ready shots, and then time for posed and candid wedding party, family, and friends shots before, during, and after the ceremony, and into the reception.  I think in most or all cases the couple provides a list of desired photos.

One wedding involved over an hour of photos at several different (driving distance) locations with the entire bridal party and families before the ceremony. Mostly the photos were on site at the venue(s).

My own wedding was small, and the only getting ready pics were taken by friends. The official photographer did candids for most of the ceremony and reception shots, with a small set of "standard" posed photos (I also could have added more if I'd had specific preferences). The main specialty photos were the beach sunset photos of just DH and me - we left the venue for about 30 min for this between ceremony and reception while guests had cocktails and appetizers.

NestHolder

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
Thanks everyone - from the variety of responses it looks as though pretty much anything goes.  I most particularly approve of the idea of taking the 'Everybody's in it' shots first, so that people who are thereafter excused can pootle off to the reception in advance.  Very sensible.

We didn't have the photographer present at our reception, nor (I think) did my sister, but I will suggest to my daughter, if she gets married, that having an official shot of everybody (individually/in couples/family groups) in their finery would be a nice touch.