News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 02:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Long Wait At Reception  (Read 7229 times)

gellchom

Re: S/O Long Wait At Reception
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
In my family and my community, the formal group shots are all taken before the ceremony.  It works out well; everyone's clothes, makeup, and flowers are all fresh, and then no one misses the cocktail hour or keeps guests waiting.  (We don't have the superstition of the bride and groom not seeing each other until she comes down the aisle; we have rituals they have to do before the ceremony anyway.)  We do take family group shots, often including aunts and uncles as well; you just tell them to come early.  It's a good time for formal shots of Mom & Dad, siblings and spouses, and Grandma and Grandpa, too, if there's time and inclination -- everyone is looking their best, after all -- and the bride and groom and attendants don't need to be there.

If people want big group shots of the entire family, a group of friends, and the like, they usually do that during the cocktail hour or later during the reception.  Other guests are in table pictures and candids.

TracyXJ

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Every wedding I've been to has had the bridal party + bride and groom's immediate family in photos.  Usually as far out as grandparents, but not aunts/uncles/cousins.

Only time the photos drove me crazy was for my SIL's wedding.  The bridal party and everyone got photos with the bride and then had to go and sit in an back room without A/C (in the South in August) while the Bride and Groom spent about 45 minutes more getting more photos.  We weren't allowed to go into the main area until our introductions.  Thankfully a cousin was wiling to run and grab us drinks.  I got yelled at for having to cut through the kitchen area to use the bathroom. 

Pooky582

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
No, I think that "wedding party" in the US Usually includes the parents of the HC. At least, that is what came up in all of my research before my wedding.  My ceremony and reception were at the same location, so guests were ushered into the hall while the wedding party stayed at the ceremony site outside for photos. We included the bridal party and parents, and since our officiant was my brother, he was included as well.

We had a vey laid back brunch wedding. We didn't have a DJ or band, no dances, no speeches, etc.  For that reason, we didn't have the photographer stay for the meal, because it was just that, a meal. I wish I would have thought that through, though, because now the formal photos are the only ones I have. I remember only one person asking to get a picture with me and DH and it never crossed my mind to get photos with everyone! I wish I had them.

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
The last few weddings I've attended have had a "group photo" with all wedding guests immediately after the ceremony.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
A friend of mine was married in Italy (she is from the U.S., her husband is Italian) and they had posed photos with each guest, or group of guests, in addition to the standard wedding party/family photos. So there was B&G with Aunt Maria, who came alone; B&G with Uncle Mario and Aunt Gianna; B&G with Cousin Antonio, his wife and kids ... you get the idea. I don't know if this is an "Italian thing," a regional custom in that part of Italy, or just a family tradition with the groom's clan.

In the U.S., at least in my experience, the formal, posed photos usually consist of Bride and Groom together; Bride solo; Groom solo (sometimes); Bridal Party (B&G and their attendants); and various permutations of Bride and/or Groom with parents, grandparents and other immediate family members (siblings, children -- his, hers or theirs). A lot of it depends on family dynamics and the makeup of the wedding party (e.g., if all the B&G's siblings are bridesmaids and groomsmen, they may not feel the need for separate "sibling" photos). Everyone else gets photos taken (some staged, but mostly candids) at the reception.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:48:50 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady