News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing a gift to a single location wedding  (Read 3583 times)

StoutGirl

Bringing a gift to a single location wedding
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
In my neck of the woods, it is very common to bring the wedding gift to the event.  However, every single wedding that I have ever been to has the ceremony and reception in two separate locations, so we always brought the gift to the reception once we got there.  Next week, I will be going to my first wedding where it is all in one location.

My question is: do I bring my gift (a relatively large and heavy package) into the wedding venue right away, or do I wait until after the ceremony and run out to the car and bring it in then?

Outdoor Girl

Re: Bringing a gift to a single location wedding
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
I'd bring it in between the ceremony and the reception.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »
I would leave the gift in the car and look around to see what other people are doing. Then dash back to the car if you want to. If you can't dash back quickly, then I think it's fine to get it after the ceremony.

pattycake

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
The last wedding I went to was like this, and they had a big table in the foyer (not sure you'd call it that - it was like a big open hall itself, outside the sanctuary) for all the gifts that were brought to the wedding. I would take the gift in and if you don't see something similar, ask anyone who looks like they are involved in the wedding (ie. the catering staff - they usually know where things are set up.)

gellchom

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
I doubt it matters.  I would just bring it in when you arrive; I bet the table will be set up already. 

But even though it's common where you live to bring your gift with you, you do have the option of sending or dropping it off another time if you don't want to have to worry about this.

TootsNYC

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
Even if it's the norm to bring it--can't you do them a favor and get it to them by dropping it off at someone's house?

They'll have so many other presents to wrangle, it would be a kindness not to dump a "large, heavy" present on them. If it were small, or just an envelope it wouldn't make that much difference.

And if you decide you really want to bring it to the venue, I agree w/ leaving it in the car until you see what the lie of the land is, and getting it between ceremony and reception.

There's something sort of unappealing to me about marching in to the wedding with a gift in hand, especially a big one. I know people do it--I used to do it. But it just seems so materialistic, so early in the event.

mandycorn

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
This situation (single location, bring gifts to the wedding) is common in my neck of the woods and people usually just bring gifts in at the beginning and put them on/under/around the gift table. If it's easier for you to bring it in between ceremony and reception, that's totally fine too, I would imagine there'll be at least a little mingling time where you could slip out to grab it.

I like the idea of dropping it off ahead of time if it's convenient for you, but if this is the norm, the wedding couple is well aware that they're going to be responsible for transporting gifts home and will have planned accordingly. For example, my sister's in-laws drove their pickup truck and my parents took the seats out of their van so they had room for gift transport and my best friend's folks had all her siblings drive separately to fit gifts in their sedans. If anything, because dropping them ahead of time isn't the norm, it may increase the possibility of the thank you note getting missed, depending on how far ahead it gets dropped off and where the rest of the gifts get taken.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln