News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 10:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When do you reference Snopes and when do you just ignore?  (Read 14781 times)

crella

Re: When do you reference Snopes and when do you just ignore?
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
I've had a lot of friends posting recently those 'promotions' where (insert famous airline) will give you a $5000 first class ticket for liking and sharing their photo. I usually send them a private message directing them to Snopes since the next move of the scammers is to send them to a webpage where they enter all their personal details in order to "collect their prize!" with predictable results. Most have thanked me, those that thought they knew better are usually quite sheepish when the fraudulent charges start appearing on their bank statements.

In the end people will believe what they want to believe and trying to convince them otherwise is like trying to teach a pig to dance. All it does is frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Those are a bit tricky if you don't look carefully,  on some of them they just put a period after the name of the airline or leave off a word, so it looks real.  There was just one where Tiffany's was supposed to be giving away a ring worth $50,000. Not likely! On some of those pages, the spelling alone ought to be a clue!

What do they charge to people's credit cards? Do they just shop like crazy, or do you end up being enrolled in something?

Edit: I forgot to answer the original question. I link to Snopes or some other source when things that are being shared are a health risk ('cough to keep your heart beating if you have a heart attack' etc), something just really out there like 'ramen noodles are coated in wax, don't eat them!', or someone might get snookered out of a lot or money.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:41:59 PM by crella »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:41 AM »
I only Snopes for ones that are health related (that might cause someone to do something wrong or dangerous if they took that advice seriously) or if it's something that causes unnecessary panic or anxiety about false threats to personal safety ("Don't do X. Susy did X and she ended up having Z happened to her! This was reported by the police! Pass this onto everyone you know to save them!").

I've learned to just grit my teeth and hide the posts with the twee/sad/manipulative fake "Baby saved from earthquake/Cancer claimed her life and she wrote the following to her daughter" stories that are meant to emotionally manipulate you. If you want to upset your friends with fake sad stories go ahead, but I don't want to keep seeing them on my feed and some people get very irate when I Snopes them to say it's a fake sad story.
<3

z_squared82

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
My SIL just shared a post about an engaged couple registering for medical procedures as part of their wedding gift registry. My mother replied that that was very odd. I replied to her that TheOnion was a satire site. I'm hoping at least my SIL knew that. I knew my mother wouldn't,s he's still to new to the interwebs.

wyliefool

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »
My SIL just shared a post about an engaged couple registering for medical procedures as part of their wedding gift registry. My mother replied that that was very odd. I replied to her that TheOnion was a satire site. I'm hoping at least my SIL knew that. I knew my mother wouldn't,s he's still to new to the interwebs.

It's gotten to the point where reality is so much weirder than satire that it's sometimes hard to tell which is which. The first article i ever saw on the Currant I wasn't sure about (I'd never heard of it, as opposed to the ONion).

Fortunately almost no one I know posts clickbait and glurge. So the few that do show up I don't bother with.

stormwatch

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »
My dad loves to pass along emails like this. I refer to Snopes or another source usually when the email is urging people to boycott a company or call their political representative based on false information.

Once I had an Inception-like situation where my dad sent out an email alleging that the owners and some staff of Snopes had been arrested on various fraud charges.  I had to make crystal clear to him that the source of the "news" was a satirical site not unlike The Onion.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 01:36:39 PM »
Once I had an Inception-like situation where my dad sent out an email alleging that the owners and some staff of Snopes had been arrested on various fraud charges.  I had to make crystal clear to him that the source of the "news" was a satirical site not unlike The Onion.

I had to do that with my MIL.  I think she was unaware that there are fake/satirical news sites out there.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:38:56 AM by Harriet Jones »

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

I had to do that with my MIL.  I think she was unaware that there are fake/satirical new sites out there.
Quite possible.  My father's family is all gone now, but they would be absolutely certain that anything on the Internet is true.  Because, as they said of the Weekly World News, "the government wouldn't let them print it if it wasn't true!"  ::) The concept of satire and fiction just slid right over their heads.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 06:36:34 AM »
I was a bit grumpy when an Onion article showed up on Facebook in my news feed.  Guess I must have liked or shared an Onion article sometime in the past.  But usually I just have legitimate news sources that show up, so I'm reading this article, puzzled, thinking that it makes no sense.  It was citing a study, I think.  Finally looked to see the source, and saw that it was the Onion.  Waste of time, wasn't even funny and I spent that time thinking, "What *is* this?"  Definitely not one of their better satirical pieces.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

delphinium

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
I ignore them. If it involved something that I viewed as harmful or really offensive to an entire group of people, I would either send the person to snopes, or explain my views in as positive a manner as possible. As far as political stuff, I ignore. I have strong views myself, and I understand that people on the other side have strong views. I see no point in getting into arguments.

I do have an acquaintance who used to send around those chain letters, and now sends around similar emails. I ignore them. I once received a chain letter that said that a person who broke the chain was in a car accident where they were beheaded. Mean Lakey enjoyed tossing those in the trash. People, who thought they were going to get rich sending $2 to twenty people, didn't because mean, old me ruined it for everyone by breaking the chain.

Same here, even if it's an innocuous request like recipes.  I don't want other people's recipes - I have no idea if I would like them or not.  Or I don't like the ones about getting a blessing if you forward that email to 25 people.  I wouldn't junk up other folks' emails.  So into the trash it goes.  (I don't think blessings work like that...)

JacklynHyde

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »
Would you believe my mother thinks Snopes is untrustworthy?  She thinks it's a scam site created by a husband and wife who were just out for money.  Thankfully, my husband is an IT guru and a scientist.  If she or my father are purporting something dangerous, I put him on the phone with them.  He's corrected them both enough times that they took him off their forward list.

Lucky, lucky husband...

stormwatch

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Would you believe my mother thinks Snopes is untrustworthy?  She thinks it's a scam site created by a husband and wife who were just out for money.  Thankfully, my husband is an IT guru and a scientist.  If she or my father are purporting something dangerous, I put him on the phone with them.  He's corrected them both enough times that they took him off their forward list.

Lucky, lucky husband...

My dad does, too! He thinks they're hired guns for the liberal media.  So now I have to find other sources on those occasions when I feel like I need to correct something he sent.

JoW

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
I have a neighbor who agrees with stormwatch's dad, snopes is liberal and can't be trusted.

As for sending Snopes links, I'm like a of people here.  I only send a correction if believing the forward could damage someone's health or cost them money.

My mother isn't on Facebook.  She did have an account but she closed it after a couple of days.  Apparently Facebook can't understand the concept of "closed account".  When I joined Facebook she got notifications.  I stopped them by blocking her.  For her email, any thing that was forwarded more than once gets deleted unread.  I told her that but she still sends stuff that has been forwarded 4 or 5 times. 

Twik

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »

Lucky, lucky husband...

My dad does, too! He thinks they're hired guns for the liberal media.  So now I have to find other sources on those occasions when I feel like I need to correct something he sent.

And some people accuse them of being card-carrying conservatives. It all depends on which story they have just debunked.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lula

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 01:21:21 AM »
And some people accuse them of being card-carrying conservatives. It all depends on which story they have just debunked.

So much this.  It seems no political party owns the gullible demographic.

Meletiquette

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 07:28:49 AM »
In response to the OP's original question, I'm on my own personal crusade to debunk as many health myths as possible that friends post on social media, because I think it's poor form to hit 'share' on something without checking its validity first. With that said, whether I comment with a snopes article or my own research/knowledge on the topic depends on how close I am to that person and whether or not they will be offended and/or feel like I am making them feel stupid/gullible by pointing out the fallacy in what they have posted (which I'm never trying to do, but I can see how it comes across that way). My opinion on these types of matters is usually trusted and welcomed because of my profession - and sometimes vilified and ignored for the same reason. 

The ones I will not touch with a ten-foot pole, however, are the people promoting their MLM-based health products.