News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this normal? Bridesmaid dresses . . .  (Read 10536 times)

Syfygeek

Re: Is this normal? Bridesmaid dresses . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Also, OP, when your dd tries on a dress, and if it fits, they will say it's stretched out from being tried on so much and strongly encourage you to order at least one size larger. And when it arrives and is too big, the alterations will be  really expensive, starting at 75 bucks for a hem.

And yes, I did work there, how can you tell?
LOL. They said this exact thing to me. IIRC, word-for-word!

Fortunately, bride found a set of bridesmaid dresses she liked in a consignment shop and miraculously, there was a dress to fit each maid. Mind didn't even have to be altered.

DB really gets brides on the 99 dollar dress sales. The dress is $99, but the alterations can be $300.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

auntmeegs

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 12:23:46 PM »
Also, OP, when your dd tries on a dress, and if it fits, they will say it's stretched out from being tried on so much and strongly encourage you to order at least one size larger. And when it arrives and is too big, the alterations will be  really expensive, starting at 75 bucks for a hem.

Fortunately, bride found a set of bridesmaid dresses she liked in a consignment shop and miraculously, there was a dress to fit each maid. Mind didn't even have to be altered.

DB really gets brides on the 99 dollar dress sales. The dress is $99, but the alterations can be $300.

Other bridal salons do this too and I think its terrible.  I once ordered a dress at a very fancy, upscale bridal salon for my best friend's wedding.  I am usually a size four in dresses and the associate had me ordering a size 10!  She swore that the sizes were different and my regular size would be too small.  I was young, in my early twenties at the time and didn't know any better so after I protested a little bit, I ordered the size she suggested.  When the dress arrived a couple months later...you could have fit two of me in that dress, it was so big.  The joke was on them though because my mother is an amazing seamstress and she does all of my alterations and even sometimes made me dresses from scratch.  Sorry ladies, no big alterations bill from me!

Arila

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 12:54:10 PM »
Wow.
I purchased my dream dress (pauses for daydream) from David's and it was pretty much ready to wear when it arrived! Really surprised by these practices you guys endured. :(

AnnaJ

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
There's not an upbeat way to say this, but given the number of engagements that don't end in marriage I would be very hesitant to purchase a dress that I didn't choose (even if the bridesmaids picked the dress, odds are they wouldn't have walked into a bridal shop for general clothes shopping).  If a couple wants to commit money to a wedding that's over a year away, that's a good plan; expecting other people to do so is pretty SS.

And if the bride is getting a discount for pushing her bridesmaid to do so without sharing the discount...shame on her.

jpcher

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
If the entire wedding party pays and orders the dresses, plus shoes, I'm pretty sure the bride gets a discount. And if not on her dress, on the grooms outfit and guys fixed from the formal wear shop that is probably next door to David's.

Ah! Ha! -- Knowing the bride the way I do, this does not seem too far fetched. Not saying it's true, but . . .  ::)

If I was in the bridal party I would be mildly irritated at having to purchase the dress so far in advance.   But I would accept the bride's decision if she had her heart set on those dresses.

Yes, this was what she did. She told me the story after she had already ordered and I thought it was pretty outrageous, so I decided to ask here . . . I know, not much we can do about it at this point, but I haven't been involved in a wedding for many years so I wasn't sure.

I have an inkling of the dresses being discontinued (I'm not sure if DD#2 told me that or if I just thought about it in my head :P) so that might be a reason.

THANK YOU! Very much for all of the comments about fitting. I'll make sure to ask my DD#2 how that went . . . it's only been a couple of days so hopefully, if her story is anything like some of yours, she still might be able to make a change.

The dress was $150 and the shoes were $50something, so not horribly pricey. But a $300 alteration charge! YIKES! That's really going to hurt her feelings.

Thanks, again! ;D

lmyrs

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
She certainly doesn't have to get the dress altered at the store. I wouldn't recommend it, actually. Take it to a trusted tailor instead.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
She certainly doesn't have to get the dress altered at the store. I wouldn't recommend it, actually. Take it to a trusted tailor instead.

ITA. 

HannahGrace

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »

Agree. I had my wedding dress pretty much reconstructed (bought a sample size that was 6 sizes too big, had it cut down and fitted and the train chopped off) and took it to a local, personally recommended seamstress and paid a fraction of what a salon would charge.

shortstuff

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »

$300 for alterations is really outrageous?  I just got married and went through all the hoopla, and from my experience that's the normal cost of altering a bridal gown (bridesmaids dress better be cheaper!).  I did thorough research online about pricing, and my salon charged me $260, which I thought appropriate for what I had done, which was quite a bit of work.  And although we did get the dress ordered in my proper size, it still took 4 fittings.  I had a bustle added, asymmetrical-bubble hem taken up, hips and bust tightened, and that included lifting up complicated beaded that went all the way around the dress. 

Frankly, unless it was a trusted place doing the alterations, I wouldn't have used a tailor who charged less, because I'd be worried about quality. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »

$300 for alterations is really outrageous?  I just got married and went through all the hoopla, and from my experience that's the normal cost of altering a bridal gown (bridesmaids dress better be cheaper!).  I did thorough research online about pricing, and my salon charged me $260, which I thought appropriate for what I had done, which was quite a bit of work.  And although we did get the dress ordered in my proper size, it still took 4 fittings.  I had a bustle added, asymmetrical-bubble hem taken up, hips and bust tightened, and that included lifting up complicated beaded that went all the way around the dress. 

Frankly, unless it was a trusted place doing the alterations, I wouldn't have used a tailor who charged less, because I'd be worried about quality.

Bridesmaid's dresses are usually significantly less complicated than a bridal gown, and should require much less alteration.   For an actual bridal gown I wouldn't think that was expensive, but a bridesmaid's dress absolutely, way too much and not in proportion to the amount of work required.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"