News:

• April 22, 2018, 11:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Allergy etiquette - anybody know?  (Read 5909 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Allergy etiquette - anybody know?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »
I hadn't even thought about butter or margarine!  Good idea if it happens again.  Alas, too late for this time, the bread is already made.  The meeting is tomorrow.  I have a small amount of store-bought bread that wouldn't have any nuts, so hopefully there'll be enough of that for sandwiches.  I really need to figure out some creative ways around this no-nut rule (and by around, I do *not* mean violating it, but working around it for my kid who is a somewhat picky eater and won't eat lunchmeat, etc.).  I originally thought it was just "no peanuts" and bought hazelnut spread... and then found out that it's "no peanuts or tree nuts."  This is a weekly thing, so it's tricky.

For future reference, I use olive oil in all my baking, it's delicious and doesn't taste olivey at all.

For our kids' nut-free school, I buy Sunflower butter or this thing called "No-Nut Butter" which is made from peas. My kids really can't seem to tell the difference, as they mostly taste the jam.  Hummus as a dip can be a good protein option too, as can string cheese with cut up veggies and fruit.

I've been looking for sunflower butter!  My usual grocery store doesn't have it, but one of these days when I make it to a different grocery store, I will definitely look!  Thanks!
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:51 PM »
I hadn't even thought about butter or margarine!  Good idea if it happens again.  Alas, too late for this time, the bread is already made.  The meeting is tomorrow.  I have a small amount of store-bought bread that wouldn't have any nuts, so hopefully there'll be enough of that for sandwiches.  I really need to figure out some creative ways around this no-nut rule (and by around, I do *not* mean violating it, but working around it for my kid who is a somewhat picky eater and won't eat lunchmeat, etc.).  I originally thought it was just "no peanuts" and bought hazelnut spread... and then found out that it's "no peanuts or tree nuts."  This is a weekly thing, so it's tricky.

For future reference, I use olive oil in all my baking, it's delicious and doesn't taste olivey at all.

For our kids' nut-free school, I buy Sunflower butter or this thing called "No-Nut Butter" which is made from peas. My kids really can't seem to tell the difference, as they mostly taste the jam.  Hummus as a dip can be a good protein option too, as can string cheese with cut up veggies and fruit.

I've been looking for sunflower butter!  My usual grocery store doesn't have it, but one of these days when I make it to a different grocery store, I will definitely look!  Thanks!

Most places will order if you'll be buying it regularly. I'm in the US, the brand I get is just called "Sunbutter"

ETA: Fix quote tree oddness
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:33:22 AM by EllenS »

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Would other seeds appeal to your children, maybe pumpkin and sunflower seeds? One of the bakers at my local farmers' market had made whole wheat and pepita baguettes, which sold out before I got there--it wouldn't have been my first choice, but they're clearly popular.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
When I make bread I don't use any fat at all. Just flour, yeast and water.

Victoria

PastryGoddess

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 12:37:46 AM »

Olive oil works just fine in bread.  As does butter and margarine.  Melted margarine IS vegetable oil.  The point of the the fat is to shorten the gluten and make the bread chewier, "cakier" and more dense.  Unless your recipe calls for a significant amount of fat, >30% of the total volume, you won't taste it in the finished bread. 

Danika

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »
For future reference, another solution is an equivalent amount of apple sauce. I have friends who use that to cut down on fats. They claim it makes breads moister. I disagree but it's still sweet and edible.

Also, as someone with many allergies, I need to point out that a nut allergy is not the same as a peanut allergy. Peanuts were erroneously named. They are not nuts; they are classified as legumes (closer to vegetables).

Some people are allergic to nuts (called "tree nuts" and this usually includes a coconut allergy) but they can eat peanuts. I fall into this category.

Others are allergic to peanuts but can eat tree nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts  macadamia, pistachios, etc).

Some people are allergic to both. Some are allergic to the oils, some only to the raw or unrefined nuts. Some go into severe anaphylaxis, others it's mild unless a huge quantity is consumed, etc.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
For future reference, another solution is an equivalent amount of apple sauce. I have friends who use that to cut down on fats. They claim it makes breads moister. I disagree but it's still sweet and edible.

Also, as someone with many allergies, I need to point out that a nut allergy is not the same as a peanut allergy. Peanuts were erroneously named. They are not nuts; they are classified as legumes (closer to vegetables).

Some people are allergic to nuts (called "tree nuts" and this usually includes a coconut allergy) but they can eat peanuts. I fall into this category.

Others are allergic to peanuts but can eat tree nuts (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts  macadamia, pistachios, etc).

Some people are allergic to both. Some are allergic to the oils, some only to the raw or unrefined nuts. Some go into severe anaphylaxis, others it's mild unless a huge quantity is consumed, etc.
Not a safety but a politeness issue some of us who are allergic to peanuts but not other nuts can not eat other nuts because of the similar taste and texture. I will gag and cough from the taste and smell. I just associate it with pain and not being able to breath. THe only nut I can eat without this happening is pecans. Because our family land had about 10 grafted pecan treas on it and we harvested those nuts and shelled them ourselves so we knew there was no cross contamination. Commercial brands of nuts we couldn't take the chance on.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jpcher

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
I'd use olive oil. Olive oil and bread go together, IMO. Crumble up some rosemary in the bread...

Very tasty bread . . . even with a spread of just butter. Put more flavor in the bread, you need less of a topping.

This would also be good with a light spread of dijon mustard and cheese (or just the cheese ;)).