News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 11:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: reception game  (Read 8581 times)

rigs32

Re: reception game
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
The taking of the money is called larceny by trick in New York.  To not return it *would* be a crime.

As for the balloon popping game, I would have walked out and left the reception.  I refuse to line up to catch the bouquet.  You try to call me out?  I will leave.  I'm sorry, but I have agency over myself and my choices.

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 09:01:32 PM »
The taking of the money is called larceny by trick in New York.  To not return it *would* be a crime.

As for the balloon popping game, I would have walked out and left the reception.  I refuse to line up to catch the bouquet.  You try to call me out?  I will leave.  I'm sorry, but I have agency over myself and my choices.

Um, are you suggesting I should take responsibility for my choice to stay and play the balloon popping game (and stop whinging about it?  ;) )? I absolutely take responsibility for it, but please bear in mind that it's really hard to make that decision in the heat of the moment, when you're standing up the front of the room with everyone watching you.

Plus, I haven't been to many weddings, and wasn't sure if this type of game was normal or not for unmarried guests. Also, the HC are usually lovely people, and I assumed they knew about this game, and it was important to them (for whatever crazy reason) that their unmarried friends and relatives participate. Because it was *their day*, I just decided to grit my teeth, not make a fuss, be a good sport, and just play the game.

TootsNYC

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »

We did not want to do a bouquet or garter toss at our wedding.  But at some point in the reception, the band leader called us onto the dance floor, and it wasn't until we got there that he said why.  So we just went along with it, but I would've preferred not to.  It never occurred to me that he would do that without asking us first.  (How did he know I was even wearing a garter, anyway?  First time I've thought to wonder that, and it's been over 33 years.)

You *really* have to watch your vendors--they all have these time-saving scripts and habits stuck in their heads, and they'll foist them on you if you aren't proactive.