News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:24:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small Wedding Gift Ideas?  (Read 5114 times)

Arila

Small Wedding Gift Ideas?
« on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:14 PM »
Hi,
A work colleague recently got married. I'm very happy for him. I was not invited to the wedding (nor did I expect to be). I find myself wishing to leave a card on his desk, and maybe a small gift. I don't want to give money. We have never exchanged money (or gifts) before. As I will be bringing it in to work, I am not sure about alcohol, so Champagne is out. I don't want it to be a silly trinket, but I'm not sure home goods would be appropriate, either. I'm really stuck.

Maybe some really nice chocolates? Any recommendations there?

TootsNYC

Re: Small Wedding Gift Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
a small bag of really high-end coffee?

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
A nice picture frame.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
"..... but I'm not sure home goods would be appropriate, either. I'm really stuck. "

Actually, I think this is the best idea, especially if you have a sense of the type of treats he tends to go for.  Normally, I'm with Toots on using coffee or tea as a default gift, because it's so much fun to put together a tiny basket if you want to go that route.

Tea is easy, but as I learned the hard way a few months ago, coffee can be tricky since so many people use K-cups these days.  I had put together this really nice basket, only to learn secondhand they couldn't use the coffee.  They didn't even own a regular coffeemaker!  Bummer.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
What about some herbal infused cooking oils?  They could be fun for them to try out, cooking together.  Provided they cook.   :P
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
How about a small picnic basket with goodies? You can throw in some nice napkins too. If they're not the outdoor type, a picnic on the living room floor is romantic.

Dindrane

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:03:18 PM »
I gave a coworker some wine glass charms as a wedding present (these, although they were only about $10 where I bought them).

Before I settled on that, I did search for my coworkers registry, just to see if she'd registered for anything wine-related (so that I could hopefully avoid doing something like giving wine charms to a couple that didn't drink wine). I didn't worry about it too much, since it was a generic enough gift that it would have been really easy to give to someone else or give away, but I figured I'd feel better if I checked. I think she had registered for some wine glasses, so I felt pretty safe. If you want to look for your coworker's registry, you can use www.registryfinder.com to search. You just need either the bride or the groom's name and what type of registry. If they registered at any national stores, you'll probably find it.

And actually, looking at a person's registry (assuming they have one) can be a good way to get ideas for what type of small token would be most appreciated, even if you don't buy anything from the registry itself.

Arila

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
I liked the coffee idea, and had occasion to speak with someone closer to the coworker who said he'd never actually seen him drink it before.

Other intelligence was that coworker also likes Dr Who (me too!) But now sure how to turn that into a present, unless I got some tea and some tardis-blue mugs...

The wine charms are super cute looking, especially since they could be presented without too much wrapping - put them into a little vase!

gellchom

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
I would keep it really small; you don't want them to feel bad they didn't invite you.

Those little baskets of goodies can add up!  And I'm not a big fan of immediate consumables for wedding gifts -- as opposed to birthdays -- but that's just me. 

For something like this, I like a little item like some nice taper candles or some pretty dishtowels.  Something for the home, but a little treat-type thing that you don't buy yourself, or better still, a more extravagant, indulgent version of something you do have to have, KWIM?  My cousin once gave me a beautiful whisk broom and dustpan.  I like to give people with a new home a gift certificate to a place like SwitchHits to buy fancy switchplates or outlet covers.  My friend gave me a cute silicon potholder that looks like a dog's head.  Like that.  You can spend very little and still have something that is a fun or pretty indulgence.

mxyplyzx.com was a great source for such things, but they went out of business, unfortunately.  Etsy is a good source if you have time to sort through a zillion things.  I recently bought some gifts at a site called CityBorn and I was delighted with their prices and especially their customer service: I got a nice return phone call from them after I called with a question after hours even though I didn't leave a message, and my order (which wasn't even big) included a handwritten thank you note and a fancy chocolate lollipop.  I think they have a NYC theme, so if that will suit, you might check them out.  http://www.cityborn.nyc/  (I have no interest in this company -- I've only ever even ordered from them that one time -- but when you find a place with such good service, you want to let your ehell friends know about it.)

Maybe a quirky little cookbook you find on a good sale or a set of spices or ice cream sauces.  A cute, inexpensive bowl and some popcorn.  Any kitchen gadget or tool. 

I have sometimes given the formerly available Pylones version of this cute 6-in-1 tool for graduation gifts, and it's only $7.85 at Amazon.com right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Silk-Flower-Hammer-Screwdriver-Tool/dp/B000FX4VFC
It doesn't replace your whole toolbox, of course, but your tool box doesn't fit into a drawer in the kitchen to have handy for little jobs.  This might be the very thing I would buy if I were you.  (I don't know why I've never bought one for myself.)

Have fun shopping!

TootsNYC

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »

Those little baskets of goodies can add up!  And I'm not a big fan of immediate consumables for wedding gifts -- as opposed to birthdays -- but that's just me. 

I also don't like immediate consumables for wedding gifts—except there are times when I think a "temporary" gift is actually preferrable. One example: when you weren't an invited wedding guest. Like our OP.

(And I can tell you've been shopping for a gadget shower, gellchom!)

Another idea: stationery!
You could get some plain correspondence cards, and print their names on the top (this would require sleuth work--"What's your fiancee's name again, Joe? Is she planning to change her last name, or keep it?"). I did this for Christmas presents for all my team members (freelance and full-time) one year, and was really happy with how they came out.

Or make/order return-address labels (you'd need an address).

gellchom

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:07:12 AM »
Ooh, great ideas, Toots.

Now that you've gotten me started, I just found a few other cute little things for amazingly low prices: a "Nessie" (as in Loch Ness monster) ladle for $2.11 and free shipping; funny bottle stoppers (rubber chicken, banana, etc.) for under $10, strainers, rice paddles, and infusers in pretty colors and animal shapes for under $3 -- all on Amazon.com.

Lynn2000

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
Do you have to bring it to work? Does he have a private space where you can leave the gift, so that other people can't really see it? It seems like it would be best to be discreet about it. Could you mail it to his home instead, and thus keep personal and work separate?

I second the idea of searching for their registry at major sites--Amazon, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, big department stores you have locally. You may find a suitable gift there anyway, or get a clue about their preferences so you can get something small that matches. Like if they have a lot of pots and pans, a Dr. Who oven mitt would probably be a safe choice.

I've given gifts to people when I wasn't invited to the wedding, nor expected to be, nor even wanted to be. I just picked something in my price range from their registry and had it mailed to them, like everyone else was doing. I was able to get one former colleague two registry items that total were under $25, which still might be a bit higher than you were thinking. (I believe it was a banana hanger, and a pasta comb? I chose those both because they were the right price, and because I thought they were really funny!)
~Lynn2000

shhh its me

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
  I'd stick to consumables or trinkets...

Coffee , tea , movie night candy and popcorn , jams .  Holiday dish towels(lots of Holidays coming up to chose from) , wine charms, Christmas ornament.   

mandycorn

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
What about a gift certificate to a movie theater? That would be easy to give, and if it's just for tickets, relatively small price-wise.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

NFPwife

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
"..... but I'm not sure home goods would be appropriate, either. I'm really stuck. "

Actually, I think this is the best idea, especially if you have a sense of the type of treats he tends to go for.  Normally, I'm with Toots on using coffee or tea as a default gift, because it's so much fun to put together a tiny basket if you want to go that route.

Tea is easy, but as I learned the hard way a few months ago, coffee can be tricky since so many people use K-cups these days.  I had put together this really nice basket, only to learn secondhand they couldn't use the coffee.  They didn't even own a regular coffeemaker!  Bummer.

We have reusable baskets for our Keurig. They weren't expensive and are much greener than K-Cups.

I like the idea of a picture frame, especially one he could use at work. A "date night" basket with some popcorn, candy, and a DVD might be nice as well.