News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 06:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small Wedding Gift Ideas?  (Read 5133 times)

LonniesMom

Re: Small Wedding Gift Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
My husband and I got 2 checks from couples (friends of our parents) who were not invited to our wedding. I thought it was odd and in one case a little PA (given the history).

OP - I think you are fine and any of the ideas here are great, or maybe something like passes to the movies for your co-worker and his new wife. I just wanted to add to the discussion that sometimes it can be odd to give a gift when one isn't invited to the actual event. Work situations, though, have a different feel and it is very kind of you to want to congratulate him.

gellchom

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
Yeah, I think a check would be the worst choice.  I wouldn't be able to help wondering if it weren't a PA gesture.

I know some ehellions don't consider a gift to charity in honor of someone to be a good gift, but I think it's perfect for this situation, especially if you know your friend's favorite cause.  If not, I'm sure you know him well enough to choose something that he would appreciate.  Local food pantries, public radio stations, your zoo or children's hospitals are usually safe choices.

Lynnv

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Other intelligence was that coworker also likes Dr Who (me too!) But now sure how to turn that into a present, unless I got some tea and some tardis-blue mugs...

How about a Dr. Who Christmas ornament?  If they don't celebrate the holiday (or if he and his new wife don't put random ornaments up), it could still go on his desk as a regular decoration. 

I found a couple on Amazon at less than $15 each.  Here is one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/4-5-inch-Doctor-Who-Plastic-Ornament/dp/B00EER1RFM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445996607&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+who+christmas+ornament

Otherwise, I like the idea of a "movie" basket with a coupon for a DVD rental at your local store, popcorn, candy, soda in a nice basket.  Cheap and fun-always a good combination.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Arila

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas! I really like the date night idea -- Actually, maybe I could make some kind of themed "Open in case of date night" pack.

I kind of agree on the consumables front (if everyone does that they are inundated/it goes bad before they can eat it), except that I was thinking about this gift a few weeks after the wedding, so I'm not sure in this specific instance it was applicable.

I appreciate all your great ideas, and will come back to them another time - I was browsing the chocolates at the store to see if there was any nice little gift-y looking ones, when I passed some other sweet snacks which I then remembered he said he loved (actually his "dream job" was to work for the company as a taste-tester!)

I think it struck just the right chord of not too expensive vs. the fact that I was paying attention to our conversation/bothered to remember.