News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:58:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The optional after party - venue notifying etiquette  (Read 2056 times)

Cali.in.UK

The optional after party - venue notifying etiquette
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi everyone. I will be getting married in the summer over a holiday weekend. Our venue reception will be ending around midnight but I know that some of the guests will want to keep celebrating, my fiance's family is Irish and he said that it is their tradition to stay out celebrating quite late after weddings. There is a large bar that is about a 7-10 minute drive from the wedding venue that I was thinking about recommending to people who wanted to stay out after our reception ended. All the other bars in the area are very small. Sometimes this place is packed and other nights it is not.

My question: Should I contact the bar ahead of time and let them know that a group from a wedding might be attending, and if yes how far in advance should I warn them? I will not really know until the night-of how many people will want to go out or who will just go home after the wedding, so I wouldn't be able to give them a real number I just thought it would be courteous to tell them if a large group of people were potentially planning to go there. I also might be over-thinking this.

Hmmmmm

Re: The optional after party - venue notifying etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 02:52:26 PM »
I've never known a company who wouldn't appreciate a heads up. But I wouldn't do anything until a week or 2 before the wedding. I'd also get your fiance to give a guestimate of the number... like we think it will be between 20 and 35. With a weeks notice, they can figure out if they need to add more staff.

Lynn2000

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
I think it would be considerate to give the bar a head's-up, especially if you will be recommending them by name. However, I wouldn't stress about exact numbers, or call them again the night of, or otherwise worry about it. That's something you would do for a planned, hosted outing and this sounds like a pretty spontaneous, fluid event that you may or may not be part of.
~Lynn2000

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »
Yeah that makes sense. I'll just call or go in a week or so before. I just remembered when my ten year high school reunion happened (I did not go but I followed the FB thread about it) the people organized the event at a bar/club but didn't tell the staff ahead of time. They just showed up with over 150 people, and then they were writing messages after the fact joking about how stressed the staff were and how the venue had to call people to come in and help, and I guess my former classmates found that hilarious. And I thought it was so rude! I definitely don't want to ambush the bar, so I'll let them know even if it doesn't end up happening.