News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Poor couple serve bread and butter instead of wedding cake.  (Read 17018 times)

TootsNYC

Re: Poor couple serve bread and butter instead of wedding cake.
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
Hurray for this couple! More people should follow their example. A wedding is not to impress other people, or to please relatives, but to join two people in love. Massive debt is no way to start a marriage.

I don't think people need to indulge in reverse ostentation to prove they're serious about marriage, etc.

Just have a less expensive wedding overall.

I'm a little annoyed with the comments like this, which are basically backhanded slaps at people who actually did spend money on their weddings.

And yeah, there's nothing there that makes me think there's any accuracy to the text.
I think it would be funny if the bread slices were some sort of cultural or religious symbol, and the rest of their wedding was actually pretty expensive.

Twik

Re: Poor couple serve bread and butter instead of wedding cake.
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:11 PM »
I'm really not sure that good bread (with spreads) would be significantly less expensive than cheap cake. A sheet cake with plain icing isn't that much. It's the professional baking/decorating that drives up the cost. However, I'm not sure what the comparative cost would be in Rwanda. Maybe it's quite different.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."