News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Holiday Faux Pas Collection  (Read 6234 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
The Holiday Faux Pas Collection
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
This is the thread for "oh, sheesh!" moments from your family's or friends' holiday gatherings, parties, or correspondence. The kind of things that you keep to yourself for the sake of harmony with loved ones, or just roll your eyes at.

Hopefully it'll help us all keep our cool through to January!

Think of it as a "little things that bug you" for the holiday season.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: The Holiday Faux Pas Collection
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »
I'll go first: The in-laws emailed us a month ago that they were going to visit SIL in Far Town for Thanksgiving. Great!

On Monday, when my husband called his dad to wish him a happy Thanksgiving, FIL mentioned 30 minutes into the call, offhand, "We are coming Your State Wednesday to Sunday instead, and staying with Aunt B, and, oh, by the way, we're going to visit you for two days after that. You guys don't mind sleeping on your air mattress, do you?"

Two minutes later, he had the equally brilliant idea of having us spend Wednesday and Thursday nights with Aunt B's family, too ... without asking Aunt B,  of course. On Aunt B's floor. No air mattress.

(This is only a minor annoyance because we have the time off from work and school and I can shuffle homework around, and we have a decent air mattress, and my husband loves his parents. We're not staying on Aunt B's floor, even if she's cool with it. At least we had already arranged to spend Thursday there for the big meal.)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:14:28 PM »
Last year, for Christmas, I made little gift bags for my cousins and my aunts.  Handmade soap, lotion, etc, and put them into nice organza gift bags.  I packed the gift bags into a larger bag by family, so my two cousins and aunt in one bag, another cousin and aunt in a second bag, etc. 

When people opened the bag, everyone was very appreciative and thanked me for making all of this.  Except for one aunt, who was very unhappy that "her" gift bag had gifts for three people (her and her daughters) in it.  She scolded me, "LadySnowdon, you know I don't like to share!" in front of everyone.  My cousins interrupted her scolding to thank me for the gift, which did make her shut up. 

My aunt comes up with something like this for every single holiday, whether it's scolding people for the wrong present, the wrong presentation, or the wrong food item they brought.  Everyone mentally rolls their eyes and thinks, "That's just Aunt for you!"

Biscuitgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Being divorced I don't have the privilege to be with the ex's family.  One year was very bazaar, but I kept quiet. How many of you here think it's great to serve nothing but diet/bland food at a holiday dinner?  Especially when you weren't told ahead of time? And the dieters were only from one branch of the family when the majority was on no diet. I have no problem with a few diet dishes, but not everything. Afterwards my husband and I had to stop and eat somewhere else on the way home.

Shalamar

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
How many of you here think it's great to serve nothing but diet/bland food at a holiday dinner?

That reminds me of when my SIL served a "low-calorie pumpkin dessert" instead of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  I was extremely disappointed!   It reminded me of Brad Pitt on Friends, saying "It's no-sugar, no-fat ... it's no good, throw it out."  :D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:36:03 PM »
My family of origin has no dietary exclusions, we ate everything and still do. Except for my oldest sister, who has decided that she will not eat pork at all. Every holiday, she tries to have all dishes adhere to that. Very difficult when the main entree is a ham! She is also famous for scolding people for what they eat, but knows not to try that any more. We don't put up with it. She decided that she would bring sweet potatoes one year with no butter or cream in them, just mashed with a little cooking water, they weren't bad, just bland. She was upset at how much of them were left afterward.

At work, we have a potluck the week before Thanksgiving every year. One year, the admin assistant decided to do something different and made wasabi mashed potatoes. She didn't tell anyone that they had a lot of wasabi in them. That was a very dramatic potluck.

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Thipu1

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
This isn't about the winter holidays.  It took place at Easter many years ago but I think it fits.

An Aunt was hosting a relative Mom and I had never met. Aunt told that the lady would be having Easter dinner at our home. That was odd but fine with us until Dad remembered who she was.  The lady in question had been convicted of killing her husband with a kitchen knife back in the 1930s and had been in a home for the criminally insane for the last 30 years. Now in her 70s, it was considered that she could safely be let out in the custody of relatives.     

She was a pleasant person but I was given the job of making sure she didn't get anywhere near the kitchen. Her visit left us all walking on 'Easter Eggshells'. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:28:07 PM by Thipu1 »

Zizi-K

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:09 PM »
This isn't about the winter holidays.  It took place at Easter many years ago but I think it fits.

An Aunt was hosting a relative Mom and I had never met. Aunt told that the lady would be having Easter dinner at our home. That was odd but fine with us until Dad remembered who she was.  The lady in question had been convicted of killing her husband with a kitchen knife back in the 1930s and had been in a home for the criminally insane for the last 30 years. Now in her 70s, it was considered that she could safely be let out in the custody of relatives.     

She was a pleasant person but I was given the job of making sure she didn't get anywhere near the kitchen. Her visit left us all walking on 'Easter Eggshells'.

Thipu for the win! Seriously, who can top having a scary ax(fork) murderer over for the holidays?

gmatoy

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »
Last year, for Christmas, I made little gift bags for my cousins and my aunts.  Handmade soap, lotion, etc, and put them into nice organza gift bags.  I packed the gift bags into a larger bag by family, so my two cousins and aunt in one bag, another cousin and aunt in a second bag, etc. 

When people opened the bag, everyone was very appreciative and thanked me for making all of this.  Except for one aunt, who was very unhappy that "her" gift bag had gifts for three people (her and her daughters) in it.  She scolded me, "LadySnowdon, you know I don't like to share!" in front of everyone.  My cousins interrupted her scolding to thank me for the gift, which did make her shut up. 

My aunt comes up with something like this for every single holiday, whether it's scolding people for the wrong present, the wrong presentation, or the wrong food item they brought.  Everyone mentally rolls their eyes and thinks, "That's just Aunt for you!"

Next time, tell her that she isn't the one sharing. The gifts are for her daughters and it is up to them if they share with her! (Okay, maybe just think it!)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:35:11 AM »
I'm on a very restrictive diet for the next three weeks at least, to see if it helps with my stomach problems. If it doesn't help, I will be off it before Christmas; if it does help, I will still be off it for Christmas (with my doctor's blessing and encouragement), because there is no way in EHell I want to be sitting at the dinner table with my extended family, drinking water and eating skinless chicken and green beans (no stuffing, no herbs, not even pepper!) while everybody else eats roast pork (and lamb, and chicken with stuffing and herbs, and all the tasty roast vegetables, and the corn fritters that are our traditional Christmas breakfast, and and and...). No. Just no. If this is what's causing my stomach problems, I am perfectly happy to accept the consequences and pay for my holiday food with a few days of unhappy tummy. I've already been living with it for months, I'm a grown woman and can deal.

My mother has been scolding me like I'm three, insisting that if I just give her the list of what I can have on the diet she will make me something lovely and diet-safe for Christmas. While I accept that it is still possible to have tasty food on this diet, it's not what I want for Christmas, and given that just browning the meat or getting a little cross-contamination will mess it up, if she tries I'll probably end up getting not-my-Christmas-meal and a few days of unhappy tummy anyway.

I am forty-two years old. I am not going to let my mother dictate what I eat at any time of year, let alone at a special holiday treat. She's getting that list of diet-safe foods over my dead body.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
FIL wasn't feeling well enough to do Thanksgiving brunch with the rest of us today, so he's roofing a house all day instead.

(Doesn't make sense to me either, but he's kind of a workaholic . . .)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
Work potluck
Year 1 -started to walk in. Secertary comes screaming around the corner I'm not allowed in because the head of PTO got a deep fried turkey and they are afraid things were cross contaminated. (Principal went out and got me fried chicken)

Several years after that by the time 4th and 5th grade got to lunch there was no food left. We started just bringing our usual sack lunches and not contributing to the pot luck. ticked off principal and PTO president.

Principal, her pets, and PTO President have major falling out that results in everyone except PTO president being transfered. PTO president tells me she bets she could prove I'm not allergic to peanuts. I go to new principal and HR and tell them I consider this a threat. PTO President is removed. New PTO president is horrified when 4th and 5th grade don't get food at her first potluck. She supervises the food being put out in smaller amounts, explains to younger grades fresh food is being put out for each grade. People eat less - 4th and 5th get food.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »

Um ... wow. You win the interwebz for the day!

LeeLee88

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
The biggest faux pas stories I can remember all deal with my dad's brother, Paul.  Paul was always a little weird, some of the weirder things that happened during holidays were when he:
1) tried to steal a silver baby cup from my parents' locked china cabinet.  It didn't even belong to one of his relatives (it was from my mom's side), he just thought he could get some cash from it.  My brother caught him destroying the lock with a small screw driver.
2) the year that he brought his new girlfriend over and proceeded to loudly make out with her at every opportunity.  It felt like it lasted an eternity, but apparently it only took 45 minutes for them to firmly be told to knock it off or get the ehell out.
3) the year his next girlfriend showed up wearing just cutoffs and a bikini top.  To Easter.
4) the year my parents got a call on Thanksgiving from a customer looking to speak to the owner of my father's business.  Long story short, my dad's brother had been telling people he owned my dad's business, my mother was his wife, he owned their house, and I was his daughter.  What a great Thanksgiving.
5) that time (the last time he was ever permitted to even have contact with anyone) when he cornered me in the living room and told me what a beautiful young lady I was growing up to be.  I was 11.  I bellowed, "DAD!!!", and my dad, his other brother, and my married-in uncle came running.  I ragefully told them what happened, and Paul was summarily (read:forcefully) ejected from the premises.  He had been a bit weird with me before, and that was the last straw.  No one but his own mother has bothered with Paul for years, and even she dropped him last I heard.  Bye Felicia, er, Paul!

ETA: As to #5: it was the *way* he said I was growing up to be a beautiful young woman; like, that completely lascivious, gross tone that makes you want to pull off your own skin.  UGH.  So glad I never have to see him again.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:35:29 PM by LeeLee88 »

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
Oh LeeLee, that's disgusting!  TG for male relatives who came running...!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.