News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 04:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Holiday Faux Pas Collection  (Read 5964 times)

PastryGoddess

Re: The Holiday Faux Pas Collection
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 11:41:24 PM »
It's not a holiday faux pas, but at the wake for my aunt this past June.  One of my cousins hit on me next to her dead body.  I didn't yell for anyone, but I do angry librarian very well and have a voice that carries.  Disgusting and shameful were the nicest words I uttered to him before I stalked away. 

cicero

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 12:50:11 AM »
I don't think I have any anecdotes to add but just wanted to say that as kooky and dysfunctional as my family may be, I am thankful that they aren't creepy like the two previous stories

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 07:17:53 AM »
A little more lighthearted: At yesterday's meal, we had all finally sat down to eat, when one of the hosts, my husband's uncle, who had not helped with any cooking all day (as guests, we were cooking and setting up for four hours, still) hollers, "Where is the cranberry sauce? What have you done!?!" His wife quietly says, "Our son made this nice cranberry relish." And he hollers, "I will not eat without sauce! This is not Thanksgiving!" and storms off from the table and goes who knows where for 10 minutes. We all sit and make small talk. He finally returns with a can and can opener, brings them straight to the table, and we begin the meal with a prayer.
He didn't let the can out of his reach, though, so he and FIL ended up eating the whole thing straight from the can at an otherwise nicely set table, and the rest of us relish haters  (me) were out of luck.

Benni

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
Grandparents who egg on their grandchild to more and more disruptive/energetic behavior until the child has to be disciplined.  My FIL used to do it and my grandchild's other grandmother does it. 

How can an adult not think through their own actions to roughhouse and/or engage in too much play right before a big holiday meal during a time when everyone should be behaving and not running around wildly.  My heart broke yesterday for both my DD and my grandchild when DD had to send GC to a time out, embarrassing for them both, and all of us.  Rather than play card games, read books together or other quiet pursuits, other grandmother kept egging GC on all day with action games and tickling, often leaving the room and going into the basement or other areas so that the rest of us could not engage with them. 

I wanted to tell her "I realize you don't see GC much, but you live minutes away.  YOU can stop by any time for a few minutes, go for a walk, take in a movie, etc.  We live 30 minutes away and see GC 10 times as much.  I am trying to be understanding that you want to spend time with GC, but could you have more quiet games so that you do not keep getting GC in trouble?"

Other grandmother was never called on her behavior.  For two reasons: 1) she is an adult, and we tend to not call out other adult's behavior, and 2) if SIL would have called her out (his mom), she would have left after screaming at him and making a huge scene.  All-in-all we had a lovely time, with only the few discipline issues with GC.  I hope that GC had a good time.

doodlemor

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »
A little more lighthearted: At yesterday's meal, we had all finally sat down to eat, when one of the hosts, my husband's uncle, who had not helped with any cooking all day (as guests, we were cooking and setting up for four hours, still) hollers, "Where is the cranberry sauce? What have you done!?!" His wife quietly says, "Our son made this nice cranberry relish." And he hollers, "I will not eat without sauce! This is not Thanksgiving!" and storms off from the table and goes who knows where for 10 minutes. We all sit and make small talk. He finally returns with a can and can opener, brings them straight to the table, and we begin the meal with a prayer.
He didn't let the can out of his reach, though, so he and FIL ended up eating the whole thing straight from the can at an otherwise nicely set table, and the rest of us relish haters  (me) were out of luck.

Wow - what a boor.  Did you all really just sit there and not eat until he came back?

Silly thing I didn't do.........

I think that it was either Peg Bracken or Erma Bombeck who said to never sit down to a holiday dinner without checking the refrigerator for side dishes.  Add the microwave to that.  Yesterday after everyone had gone home I found the cooked corn in the microwave. 

It wasn't missed.  Apparently my grandchildren are old enough now that they eat all the special holiday veggies and other dishes.  I won't bother to cook a plain bag of corn on holidays again.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:06:41 PM »

Wow - what a boor.  Did you all really just sit there and not eat until he came back?

Silly thing I didn't do.........

I think that it was either Peg Bracken or Erma Bombeck who said to never sit down to a holiday dinner without checking the refrigerator for side dishes.  Add the microwave to that.  Yesterday after everyone had gone home I found the cooked corn in the microwave. 

It wasn't missed.  Apparently my grandchildren are old enough now that they eat all the special holiday veggies and other dishes.  I won't bother to cook a plain bag of corn on holidays again.

When my brother was little, we forgot the corn in the microwave almost every year. It was the only vegetable hewould eat. Usually it wasn't found until someone went to heat up left-overs.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
My family tradition (for two generations!) is to sit down for Christmas dinner as a family, then have mom/grandma jump up and say "Oh! The rolls!" just as the smoke starts to roll in from the kitchen.

Mom is kind of touchy about dad teasing her about it, but her mother did that every single Christmas I can remember spending with them - and mom's done it at least half a dozen times since then  ::)

miladyrose

• I'm a thinker not a fighter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
Every year as long as I can remember my family has put up the Christmas tree on Black Friday. When my sister and I were younger we chose how to decorate and which ornaments to use. Unfortunately, about five years ago my mom started looking at professional trees and got obsessed with theming the tree. I still remember the first year she decided to do this. I got all my childhood ornaments on the tree and she made me take them all off when I was nearly done... Anyway, Sis and I decided to do the tree last night because she and her daughter were leaving this morning. Well, the first thing I asked Mom was "Where do you want the tree and what theme do you want?" She said I could decorate the tree however I wanted. I didn't believe her and thought that she would start giving hints once we put the tree together. Sis and I got our 3 brothers to help put the thing together, then the hints started coming out.
"Use the white lights.
"A little closer to the stairs."
"Put these golden ornaments on."
"The lights are too far apart. Put more on."
And on and on... At least we got to choose where the ornaments went on the tree. I love my mother dearly, but there are times where I want to shake her.

Then of course there were the comments about how I'm going to have twins and how much she's going to spoil them et cetera. It doesn't matter that I am NOT pregnant nor planning on becoming pregnant anytime soon, and it doesn't matter that I have told her repeatedly that I don't appreciate those kinds of comments. Every time we talk about how much she spoils my niece she insists that I will have twins or triplets and they will all be boys and laughs >:( DH is a saint and tries to tell her that she needs to stop but she won't listen to either or us. I'm at the point where I wish I could choose the sex of my children and have a girl just to prove her idiot predictions wrong. I'm at the point where I want to walk away from her when she starts, but my spine isn't quite that shiny yet. She's a great mom in most other aspects, she's just eager for more grandchildren to the point of near obsession.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
 As it is, we have enough active threads that are for the sheer purpose of complaining about others that I don't think we need another one. Anyone who is so compelled to post can post on one of those.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.