News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions for a wedding gift when you don't know the bride at all?  (Read 1984 times)

camlan

Here's the background. My nephew got engaged a few weeks ago. I've never met the bride-to-be; my brother has only met her twice. They are getting married in a short civil ceremony in a month, then having a big white wedding sometime in 2017. (I know, I know, total etiquette fail here. But there are Reasons. And I'm not introducing myself to the young woman by announcing her lack of basic etiquette.)

Both are in the military; both are in med school. I'd like to get a small gift to send for this first wedding, along with a card or letter congratulating them and welcoming the young lady into the family. When I say small, I'm thinking around $25-$30. The big wedding will require air travel, hotel, new clothes and a gift, so I'm saving my money for that.

Any suggestions for a gift? I'm looking for something to mark what is a significant occasion in their lives, while saving the big bucks for the big "wedding" later.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kaypeep

Re: Suggestions for a wedding gift when you don't know the bride at all?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
How about a box of personalized stationery with their new names on it together.  A box of notecards or something like that.   You can probably order some online for that price range.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
A restaurant gift card?  Something they can enjoy together and probably gives them a chance to go out for dinner when they wouldn't otherwise have that opportunity.

I would make it in an amount large enough to cover two entrees and two sodas, with tip, though, so they don't have to drop in any of their own money, unless they want to make it a more elaborate meal.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:24:48 PM »
You don't know the bride, but you know the groom, so take his tastes into account: a gift card for a meal makes sense, and if you don't know a place he would like (or don't know the area near their base), a check or Visa gift card can be spent anywhere. (Being in med school might mean either that they are grateful for a couple of hours away, or that their first choice would be anyone who delivers a hot meal to campus at 2 a.m.) Address the card to both of them, and say something about looking forward to getting to know your new niece.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

nuit93

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
How about a box of personalized stationery with their new names on it together.  A box of notecards or something like that.   You can probably order some online for that price range.

It would be good to first verify that the bride is changing her name.