News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 01:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing the OP of a thread  (Read 8165 times)

lowspark

Removing the OP of a thread
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
There's no official policy I can think of.  Avoid the swisscheesing mentioned above for logic ' s sake. I don't think members can remove the OP of a thread.

Some people add a note to edited posts: ETA for "edited to add" & then whatever the edit was.

Quoting the above from an older thread. Because the thread was so old, I figured it was best to start a new topic.

I just noticed a particular user removed her OP from several threads she started and I came over here to see if that was kosher. I guess we can't remove an OP, per se, but we can go in and just delete everything that was originally written. There doesn't seem to be a rule about that but isn't it frowned upon?

I'm just wondering what the actual policy or standard is on this.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Lynn2000

Re: Removing the OP of a thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
My understanding was that this was not allowed to do (by the rules, obviously someone can do it technologically, by blanking their post during an "edit").

If someone becomes upset by the turns a thread takes, or feels like they gave too much identifying info in a situation that's gotten bigger and uglier, in the past the mods have been open to deleting/hiding the entire thread. (I remember one about being uncomfortable around adolescents in skimpy swimsuits, or something, that just went a bit haywire and suddenly disappeared one day.)

Even if the OP doesn't mean to give a bad impression, it often comes across as, "I don't like the advice you gave, so I'm taking my ball and going home." Leaving us all standing around looking dumb because we're talking about nothing.
~Lynn2000

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was against the rules too. But I searched through this thread and couldn't find anything.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=2.0
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Yeah, I don't like when people do that or when the first couple of responses do not garner the type of response/advice they wanted (just speculating here but that is how it comes across to me) and then they go back and remove parts of the OP that completely changes the situation or context and then the newer comments are different and only reflect the newer version of the story.

Lynn2000

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
I also remember there was a very new person once, who for whatever reason legitimately thought the correct response to a successfully concluded situation, was to delete/blank their original post. People may not understand the "archival" nature of EHell, where a positive feature is being able to go back and read old threads. Which of course will not make sense if the initiator has blanked/altered their original post.

You also sometimes see people who say, "Thanks, great advice, I think that about does it. How do I get the thread closed/locked?" But of course our culture is that threads stay open (though they fade from use after a while) and locking is the exception, usually when things have gone wrong, not the rule. I've noticed that in a few other forums, threads are locked much more easily/quickly, and it's not considered a negative, but rather a helpful way of organizing (especially if they're devoted more towards getting a specific project done, than just chatting).

So it's not always done as a "pouting" move, though I agree, without clarification it really comes across that way.
~Lynn2000

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
It may not be against the official rules, but it is extremely inconsiderate and I have seen people talked-to by a moderator for doing it. It's extremely annoying when a thread has gone on a long time and then you can't go back and see what started it.

If you (generic) find that you've posted too much identifying information then either edit the post or ask a moderator to remove the thread entirely. If you're not getting the answers you want, then learn to deal with disappointment; if it reaches the point of feeling dogpiled, report one of the piling posts.

Just blanking out a post makes me think of a PA exchange like this:

They: *mumble*, *mumble, "feelings hurt", *mumble*
Thee: "I'm sorry, what was that?"
They: "Never mind, it wasn't important"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

sammycat

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
I agree with all PP.

On another forum I frequent, there's an unwritten "rule", called The Rule.  It requires that someone, usually the first or second respondent, should quote the OP in full in their reply. I don't know how practical that always is, but it has come in handy when I've found a thread quite some time after it's started and the OP has either been deleted or altered significantly.

AustenFan

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 09:45:53 PM »
Ok that explains a lot! It always drives me crazy when someone quotes the entire OP in their reply, we just read the OP for gosh sakes!, but that explains it

Wittyone

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
Ok that explains a lot! It always drives me crazy when someone quotes the entire OP in their reply, we just read the OP for gosh sakes!, but that explains it

Ha ha ha! I was just coming to say the exact same thing.  At least there's a good reason for it.
California

Klein Bottle

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 01:01:34 AM »

Ha ha ha! I was just coming to say the exact same thing.  At least there's a good reason for it.

Yes, I had also wondered about that, and actually found it rather puzzling and annoying. But that explanation makes sense!
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
Ha! I'm the one who started this thread and that actually didn't occur to me either.
And I do wonder why people do that unless they've bolded some particular part that they want to comment on. But yeah, it does make sense if you want to make sure to preserve that first post.

The particular person I observed doing this, if I ever reply to any of her posts, I probably will quote the OP, just as a precaution. In her latest thread, some who replied referred to her previous threads, though not with actual links. I went searching to read them for purposes of getting more background, and that's when I found she'd deleted her OP in at least three threads.

I did consider posting to the latest one to say it was a no-no, but that's when I thought, hmmm.... is it actually against the rules? And thus, this thread.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Lynn2000

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
Did you report any of the blanked posts? I think I recall a couple of those threads but not any helpful details. At least if you make a report, a mod can take a look and make a pronouncement, or not, as they see fit.
~Lynn2000

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
No. Mainly because I wasn't really sure it was a reportable offense. But you're right. I will.
Need to gather the links to all the threads I observed and let the mods decide.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Lynn2000

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »
My interpretation of "reportable," is that it's more like tapping a mod on the shoulder and saying, "Hey, could you take a look at this? It seems a bit odd." That's how I use it anyway, after it was explained like that somewhere. As opposed to an automatic, "You're in big trouble!" moment. I would probably report a blanked OP if I noticed it, just saying, "Hey, this happened and it's weird. Just FYI."
~Lynn2000

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
OK. I sent it in and the mods can decide what to do. It was a total of three threads so it feels like it sort of became a habit. Plus it was someone who is apparently pretty new to the forum so maybe just doesn't understand how it all works.
Houston 
Texas 
USA