News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to recycle wedding favors  (Read 5897 times)

Last_Dance

How to recycle wedding favors
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:53:14 AM »
DH and I were married last September. Since we like to cook, our wedding favors were sugar dispensers (the kind you turn and pour, not the type with a button)
We thought we had counted carefully, but we still ended up with a lot.

Any ideas on what we could do with them? DH thinks we could use them as "spice dispensers", but I'm not 100% sold on the idea.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Luci

Re: How to recycle wedding favors
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:15:54 AM »
Do you have a link? I probably cannot help, but I am curious about what you are talking about. I am not familiar with either kind from your descriptions.

Carotte

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:19:54 AM »
Do you mean this kind of dispenser?

I wouldn't use this for spices, for one it's not fully closed and I don't think there's any spice you would store in an open container, and it delivers a "dose" everytime (the equivalent to a sugar cube) that probably won't work with spices.
Depending on the volume delivered I might store coarse salt if it happenned to be the right amount to salt pasta water but that's usefull if you make a lot of pasta...

I guess you friends and familly already have enough of those now, maybe try asking at a soup kitchen/shelter if they could use them?

Last_Dance

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
^ Exactly! Though ours also has a cap to cover the top, so it's not always open
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

rose red

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
Would a family owned restaurant be interested?

Carotte

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
^ Exactly! Though ours also has a cap to cover the top, so it's not always open

Then I guess you could use it for spices, but the portioning problem is still there, I mean, it's been ages since I've used one of those but if I rememeber corectly it's not the easiest system.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »
I would try to find some way to give them away or sell them.  I don't know that I would want to store anything but sugar in one.

Mustard

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
I'm curious to know how many of these dispensers you have left..

Runningstar

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »
How cute would that be filled with sprinkles for ice-cream!  I'd figure out some type of way to use them for a baby shower game prize or bundle them up and give to a thrift store. 

CrabbyAppleton

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:31:28 PM »
How cute would that be filled with sprinkles for ice-cream!  I'd figure out some type of way to use them for a baby shower game prize or bundle them up and give to a thrift store.

Are cinnamon hearts small enough to pour?  If so, fill them up and give them as Valentine's Day gifts.
A good friend is like a good bra...  Hard to find, comfortable, supportive, and always close to my heart.

gellchom

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:07 AM »
Another vote for donating them, especially to a shelter or other service organization.

You probably counted just fine, and several guests either forgot to take them or didn't want them.

Please don't feel bad about that.  Many people don't take any kind of favors, especially breakable ones that are hard to pack, and there isn't a single one that absolutely every guest would love.  For what it's worth, *I* think it's a cute idea.  But even I might have left it behind, especially if I had to pack it, because although we do cook, we don't put sugar in our coffee, so I'm not sure what use we'd have for it.

That's why I liked the idea of donating the extras to someplace that serves meals, because it's hard for me to envision a use for this type of sugar dispenser outside of a restaurant or cafeteria-type setting.  I've only ever seen sugar bowls in people's homes, although there's no reason not to use something like this instead -- evidently, you do. Anyway, I think most people either don't need any kind of table-or countertop sugar container, or else they already have one, often part of a set with a creamer, that they use.

Just out of curiosity, did you fill them with anything?  Did you have your names or a photo or anything on them?

cicero

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:26:26 AM »
Another vote for donating them, especially to a shelter or other service organization.

You probably counted just fine, and several guests either forgot to take them or didn't want them.

Please don't feel bad about that.  Many people don't take any kind of favors, especially breakable ones that are hard to pack, and there isn't a single one that absolutely every guest would love.  For what it's worth, *I* think it's a cute idea.  But even I might have left it behind, especially if I had to pack it, because although we do cook, we don't put sugar in our coffee, so I'm not sure what use we'd have for it.

That's why I liked the idea of donating the extras to someplace that serves meals, because it's hard for me to envision a use for this type of sugar dispenser outside of a restaurant or cafeteria-type setting.  I've only ever seen sugar bowls in people's homes, although there's no reason not to use something like this instead -- evidently, you do. Anyway, I think most people either don't need any kind of table-or countertop sugar container, or else they already have one, often part of a set with a creamer, that they use.

Just out of curiosity, did you fill them with anything?  Did you have your names or a photo or anything on them?
I agree.  I love the idea and I love that kind of dispenser for sugar but I don't even have sugar in my home and I have a box with packets of Splenda so I probably wouldn't have taken the favor

Another vote for donating to a shelter,  soup kitchen or the kitchen of  your own church /synagogue if you belong to one (assuming they run events).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Alicia

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 03:01:41 AM »
If unengraved I'd try bulk selling them on your local craigslist
If engraved with something generic wedding( like love is sweet) I'd give to goodwill
If engraved with something you specific ( like Han and Leia December 18 2016) I would put in recycling trash

Danika

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 03:17:25 AM »
I have two like this in our kitchen for various sweeteners. We have one for regular sugar, and then I have a one for low calorie sweetener. It depends what I refill it with but it's either storing Splenda, Monkfruit (natural 0 calorie sweetener) or powdered Xylitol. But I would never need more than 4 of these containers maximum.

I suppose you could mix your own bath salts and give them out for holiday gifts. My friend did that last year, but not in dispensers like this. She bought sea-salt and essential oils and mixed them and gave them to friends. It motivated me to mix my own bath salts to save money. I have very sensitive skin and eczema. I went on Amazon and ordered powdered colloidal oatmeal and mixed it with Epsom salt and sea salt and I use that for a bath. However your containers are glass, right? I'd be scared to have real glass by the tub in case I spilled it and broke it.