Author Topic: Dinner for One  (Read 979 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Dinner for One
« on: September 09, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
Hi everyone!  BF and I frequently have different schedules, and we're tired of waiting for each other for dinner, and I'm sure there are others on here in the same situation, as well as singles who don't need to cook for another person.  I'm not a fan of leftovers in general, so I don't like to make a big pot of something and have to eat it for the next week, but most recipes make enough for 4-6 people.   So, anybody have any great recipes that make one serving, or can be easily adapted to one serving?  Healthy and balanced is nice, but not a requirement.  Thanks in advance!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: Dinner for One
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »
Chicken Quesadillas. 

I always grill the chicken on my GF grill.  Slice chicken, place on one half of a large tortilla in a warm frying pan, spoon some salsa on and sprinkle with a Mexican blend shredded cheese.  Fold over like an omelet, and flip to brown(?) the other side. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

Pasta with stuff on it.

Put pasta on to boil.  While it cooks get the veggies ready. Toss the ones that need to be cooked into the water near the end of the cooking (snow peas, red peppers, green beans, broccoli, crushed garlic, etc.)  Then add the  other veggies and seasonings at the end, after draining (fresh herbs, chopped green onions, sun dried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, parmesan, grated cheese, salt and pepper).

You can also make things like a cream or cheese sauce in on person portions using a small pan, or make simple sauces.

One trick I have for chicken:  Buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs on sale.  Take a heavy bottomed pan or skillet with a little olive oil. Put the whole pieces in and cook slowly on medium heat, covered for the first little while, until golden brown on both sides. They freeze really well, and you can grab one, microwave it, chop it and toss on pasta or salad.

Buy steak, cut into single portion servings and freeze. Then grill, bake or fry it with your seasonings of choice, and serve with a salad and bread and butter.

Tomato sauce and chili freeze well. I always make a big batch and freeze single serving portions to eat later - fast and nutritious.

Buy sausages and again, freeze in single portions. Then you can pull out one or two and grill it with some onions.

Individual pizzas. Again, I make the crusts myself, and freeze singly, and do the same with tomato sauce and the meat. Then you just have to pull them out, thaw the toppings, and add the veggies and cheese. Pizza made yourself can be a very healthy meal, if you don't load it with high fat toppings and go easy on the cheese.

Frozen dumplings are easy to cook for one person.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:15:05 PM »
I live with my [21 YO] DS, and pretty much cook for one or two.

I do cook with 'leftovers' in mind, as i usually cook only once a week. I don't really have time midweek to cook. so I make a lot of soups and stews and freeze.

if you don't want to make large quantities and freeze, then what you can do is some of the prep work and then freeze. for example - i used to make something called 'dump chicken' which is essentially you take chicken parts, put in bags and pour marinade over and then freeze. do this only with fresh chickens. then the day before you want to eat, you defrost in the fridge and then cook.

another thing is to make sauce, like for pasta, and freeze in small quantities. then you just have to boil up spaghetti and you have a meal.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
Something BF and I really like,  which is good with a salad is French Bread Pizza.  You get either a loaf of French Bread, or Hero size rolls, spread tomato sauce on them, sprinkle with cheese, herbs (I use garlic and oregano) and whatever toppings you like.  Toast in a 400 oven till the cheese melts.  Maybe not the healthiest meal in the world (although we like using organic sauce and fresh veggies, so that helps) but it's easy and fast to make, and you can really easily control the portion sizes/leftovers. 

Summrs

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:28:29 AM »
Steak, baked potato and a vegetable. 

A chicken breast, cut into chunks and marinated for about 30 minutes, on a couple of skewers with onion, pepper, zucchini (the rest of which can be used for lunch in a salad), and broiled.  It's easy to then boil up a single serving of pasta or pearl barley or rice as a side.

A porkchop, applesauce and potatoes au gratin (easily made for one using a small potato, some cheddar cheese and baked)

Hamburgers are easily shaped and frozen (and buns can be kept frozen), then pulled out and cooked up when you want one.  Tater tots are easily to bake up for one.. just throw a handful on a cookie tray.

Reubens are a favorite here.  Sure, the extra corned beef and sauerkraut are technically "left over" in the refrigerator (or freezer for the meat) until you need it again, but each meal is fresh so it's not a left over.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup?  LOL

Chef salads are great, too.  Any combination of meats, cheese and vegetables you like.