News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 11:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics  (Read 56696 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
Actually the pearls are what I get.  They are perfectly bite sized and you can fit a piece of tomato AND a mozzarella pearl in your mouth without looking like a chipmunk.

Now that's good thinking!  I like the balls that are slightly bigger than my cherry tomatoes, and then pretend I'm a nicely-brought-up grown up and use my cutlery.  I do feel like royalty when I'm eating delicious home-grown tomatoes, for some reason [nothing to do with the tiara?]. ;) ;D

Well, if you and the Captain ever make it to this corner of the world, I would be delighted to cook you both duck ragu - and silver perch, if the Fillets are eating size at the time! >:D That goes for any of the other lovely EHellions who are enjoying my aquaponic ramblings, too. :-* ;D

That gives me the perfect excuse to start saving!! ;D

*shifty look* ...I want to get one, I just need to work out which one fits my needs (spying on fishies) the best...

;D ;D ;D

You know you have an adoring audience who will lap up those pics, don't you? ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
I tried to make tomato chutney. I have instead made five and a bit jars of tomato jam.

This is the exact opposite of a problem.

Two and a half kilos of assorted tomatoes:

plus half a kilo of red onion, all chopped up fairly fine:

(I have to admit, Iím a bit sad that the colours didnít stay clear. I was going to call it traffic light chutney if they did. XD Maybe if I try a recipe with less liquid and a lot less cooking timeÖ)

One litre of vinegar (half malt, half white), half a kilo of brown sugar, some salt, white pepper, half a teaspoon of minced chilli, garlic, ginger, and then itís on to the simmering!

And simmering. And more simmering. Seriously, this took seven and a half hours to reduce down, and that was after I sweated off a lot of juice from the tomatoes etc. (I stirred in three teaspoons of salt, let it all sit for half an hour, then strained off the liquid the salt had drawn out. Next time Iím sweating them overnight.)

After all the simmering (making the house smell glorious), I had five and a bit jars of delicious, delicious tomato sort-of jam, which Iíve sealed up via water bath preserving, so it should theoretically last up to a year. As if Iím going to let any of it survive that long, ha!

Thatís the and-a-bit, which is sitting in the fridge for immediate consumption. It would be a bigger bit, but I caught the GEB sneaking into the kitchen and eating spoonfuls out of the pan. :P

I can tell you that it tastes absolutely wonderful on fresh bread with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, too.  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mustard

« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
That looks wonderful!  I'll bring my own spoon...

PastryGoddess

« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
My tomatoes don't ever last that long.  I guess I could try really really hard not to eat them. 

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
My tomatoes don't ever last that long.  I guess I could try really really hard not to eat them.

That's about two days worth, and we used a kilo and a half the day before! And I picked at least another kilo and a half this morning... and there's a bowl full of cherry tomatoes left over...

We planted enough this year that I can play with chutney recipes without us having to leave tomatoes out of our salads, is what I'm getting at.  8) ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #530 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04:29 PM »

That's about two days worth, and we used a kilo and a half the day before! And I picked at least another kilo and a half this morning... and there's a bowl full of cherry tomatoes left over...

We planted enough this year that I can play with chutney recipes without us having to leave tomatoes out of our salads, is what I'm getting at.  8) ;D

We tried that last year, but forgot that the heirlooms take longer to start fruiting and they weren't nearly as prolific as the hybrids were.  So I'd have tons of red and Lemon tomatoes and then 1-2 hybrids would ripen, which of course we ate. The Cherry and grape tomatoes don't even make it to the kitchen.

This year, I'm planting the hybrids first. At least 2-3 weeks before the hybrids and grape tomatoes go in. 

RevMaxx

« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2017, 10:16:32 PM »
>>runs with spoon<<

I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat too!
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2017, 11:57:27 PM »
That looks wonderful!  I'll bring my own spoon...
>>runs with spoon<<

I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat too!
Same offer as to Chez Miriam - if you end up in this part of Australia for a holiday or something, I will happily supply you with tomato chutney jam etc. Spoon included! >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
Now that it's cooling down, my beans have started to produce, and the mousemelons are actually fruiting instead of having 99% of the female flowers just shrivel up and die:

And my finger lime is fruiting! Woohoo!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Remember the waterfall we used to get every time there was heavy rain? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSy1sLA0B3Q

Putting the new downpipe in to feed my water tank seems to have fixed it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDJcJcAtcg
"Set aphasia to stun!"

RevMaxx

« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
Ingenuity

That's all I have to say!  ;)
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Chez Miriam

« Reply #536 on: March 21, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Yay to mousemelons! *\o/*  Do they taste as you imagined?  I love the idea of your finger limes, but I know they would just die if I tried one over here.

The tomato jam sounds wonderful.  We occasionally buy onion marmalade [not sure what makes it marmalade instead of chutney], and that, too, works beautifully with a nice strong cheddar, so I'm imagining your jam being scrummy!

Great that your water tank has fixed the waterfall. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »
Ingenuity

That's all I have to say!  ;)
It's so nice when two problems cancel each other out!  ;D

Yay to mousemelons! *\o/*  Do they taste as you imagined?  I love the idea of your finger limes, but I know they would just die if I tried one over here.

The tomato jam sounds wonderful.  We occasionally buy onion marmalade [not sure what makes it marmalade instead of chutney], and that, too, works beautifully with a nice strong cheddar, so I'm imagining your jam being scrummy!

Great that your water tank has fixed the waterfall. :)
Very yay mousemelons! I was sad that they didn't seem to like it here. Next year I'll plant more. >:D They taste exactly like nice fresh cucumber when they're young, and they go lemony and then sour as they get older.

How hard a frost do you get there? Finger limes can handle mild frost, so you might get away with it depending on placement and protection. :P Apparently I'll have to wait until spring to try the fruit as they ripen over winter.

I haven't the faintest idea what makes it a marmalade instead of a chutney either! I figure as long as it's yummy I don't care what it's called. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2017, 12:46:26 AM »
I'm in Zone 7b on the USDA Map and it's too cold for citrus trees here without a greenhouse.  The Howard P. Rawlings conservatory which is in the same zone has to keep their lemon trees inside during the winter.  Not only that, but citrus trees have to be re-potted every couple of years into a larger pot.  I think unless you're in zones 8 or higher...or have the greenhouse space.  You should get your lemons and limes from the store

Chez Miriam

« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
I'm in zone 8, according to the map on Wikipedia, so I suspect our frosts might be too hard for the finger limes.  In the UK it's often not the temperatures per se that are the problem, it's that we live on a soggy little island, so any winter frosts tend to freeze water around plant roots...  I've had some success with less-hardy agapanthus in pots, keeping them under the roof overhang; they seem to have tolerated the cold because I've managed to keep the roots dry?  Or it could be that we have had a couple of mild winters.

"Proper" citrus plants have to be indoors/frost-free greenhouse, so I might have to wait a while longer. :-\  I'm hoping we will find a way to build a glazed porch on the north side of the house, which would be a great place to overwinter, despite the fact that it would be un-heated, but the budget isn't stretching that far, yet, so I'll just keep dreaming. :D