News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 08:21:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics  (Read 52613 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics
« Reply #630 on: November 01, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
If we wanted to carve pumpkins, well, there are usually pumpkins in the shops because they do grow well here and can also be imported, but we don't tend to get jack-o-lantern pumpkins, which I gather aren't very good to eat?

Jack-o-lantern pumpkins are fine to eat.  They are just more watery than the pie or sugar varieties, that are more common for cooking with pumpkin.  The secret is to drain off as much liquid as possible when cooking and if you freeze it, spoon off any liquid that comes to the surface as it thaws.  I find the flavour is a little milder and the colour a little lighter than pie or sugar pumpkins.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Chez Miriam

« Reply #631 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
If we wanted to carve pumpkins, well, there are usually pumpkins in the shops because they do grow well here and can also be imported, but we don't tend to get jack-o-lantern pumpkins, which I gather aren't very good to eat?

Jack-o-lantern pumpkins are fine to eat.  They are just more watery than the pie or sugar varieties, that are more common for cooking with pumpkin.  The secret is to drain off as much liquid as possible when cooking and if you freeze it, spoon off any liquid that comes to the surface as it thaws.  I find the flavour is a little milder and the colour a little lighter than pie or sugar pumpkins.

Because pumpkins aren't really a tradition here*, we don't differentiate between the types...

As I once again have a very flat [vertically challenged] pumpkin face, it occurs to me that I should either buy one for carving, or try and grow a different variety. :-\

* Growing up, we carved turnip lanterns [known as swede in other parts of the UK]: that is one tough hollow-out for small people!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #632 on: November 02, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
Turnips are an older tradition than pumpkins! ;D

Itís 6:20am and Iím waiting to check in at the hospital for my surgery, so Iíll update later.  :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Chez Miriam

« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
Turnips are an older tradition than pumpkins! ;D

Itís 6:20am and Iím waiting to check in at the hospital for my surgery, so Iíll update later.  :-*

I'm sitting here awkwardly...

[I've got everything crossed for you. ;)]

Wishing you all the best,
 :-*
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2017, 09:15:49 PM »
...Aaaaand surgery has been postponed because they wonít do it while thereís a cat scratch on my leg.  :'(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Chez Miriam

« Reply #635 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
...Aaaaand surgery has been postponed because they wonít do it while thereís a cat scratch on my leg.  :'(

Oh no!  Do you know when they will?  Or is it a case of you going back into the system to be assigned a new date?

I know you're off the meds/supplements that make life possible/easier for you, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they have said "come back Monday" rather than "we will send you a letter with a new date"...
 :'(

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #636 on: November 03, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »

Oh no!  Do you know when they will?  Or is it a case of you going back into the system to be assigned a new date?

I know you're off the meds/supplements that make life possible/easier for you, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they have said "come back Monday" rather than "we will send you a letter with a new date"...
 :'(

Don't know yet. The surgeon said he'd get me into the next available slot, and I know he keeps slots open for emergencies, soooo if nobody's having an emergency right now it could be as early as next week. :P I'm going to be making phone calls on Monday to find out. I also need to ask if I need to do the pre-surgery blood tests etc again, because the hospital prefers them to be done 1-2 weeks before surgery, and I had them 2 weeks before my planned surgery date; if the new date is more than a week out they're going to want them redone.

Also shout out to my mother, who's first question after finding out was "are you still going to make it to my birthday party". ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #637 on: November 05, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Rescheduled for Friday the 17th! Let's try this again...
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #638 on: November 05, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
In other news, it's been raining all night and is predicted to rain all day, and the forecast says we're probably going to get all of November's rain in one fell swoop. My rainwater tank is full, there's half an inch of standing water over a lot of the lawn, and the sump in the aquaponics is already on the point of overflowing; I've dropped the flaps on the sides of the hoop house (thankfully still attached even though I took the ends down a while ago) to channel as much of the water as possible away.

I am happy it's raining because we need it (well... possibly we don't need quite this much...) and I wasn't planning to go anywhere today, but my joints are Not Happy and - horror of horrors! - our internet connection has slowed to a crawl. ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

RevMaxx

« Reply #639 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »
waving at you all and your bounty and goodness.! THe pics are phenominal! new thing we did this time was
-huckleberries- . their jam /chutney is sublime.we'r doing mega-more in spring.  :)
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".