News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics  (Read 61909 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: Mel Has Fun With Aquaponics
« Reply #645 on: December 14, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
The vinaigrette sounds yummy, Miriam, I will have to try that! I have now picked so many beans that the Good Ethnic Boy wants to start giving them away. I told him no and have started freezing the yellow ones. >:D

Yup, my spaghetti squash (and a pumpkin vine, and some capsicums, and a couple of eggplants, and a borage...) are sitting in water. Just a couple of inches in the bottom of the paddling pool, and ideally you let it dry out every so often so mosquitos don't take over the world. We unfortunately had so many rainy days in a row that I grew a magnificent crop of bitey bugs despite draining as much as I could out of the pool several times. :P I've got other stuff in smaller root pouches in a shallow tray (it's a potplant saucer intended for a Really Big pot). The root pouches and pots are tall enough so that the top layers of soil are just a bit damp, not soggy, and the very bottom of each pouch has a layer of gravel with some drainage cloth over it to hopefully stop things getting completely yucky down there. I need to shift things around a little and put my second huge root pouch in the paddling pool, and then I'm going to put gravel in the spaces between so that there's no actual open water.

The hydrotherapy pool is the perfect temperature, warm enough to be comfortable but not so warm that you overheat when you're exercising hard. Sadly they're closed next week so I won't get another session there this year, but I'll be going back in January! I'm doing great, I'm now only taking one crutch with me if I know I'm going to be doing a fair amount of walking or the ground is going to be uneven; I still have to concentrate a bit to walk 'properly', without a limp, and it's easier with a crutch. Plus my knee is still being annoying. ::) Ah well. Tomorrow's garden project involves drenching a lot of plants and half the dirt garden in diluted neem oil to kill pests - it's supposed to be good against whitefly and curl grubs, and I need to knock the curl grubs out of the ground before I replace the tomato plant they killed and add more.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Chez Miriam

« Reply #646 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:10 AM »
The vinaigrette sounds yummy, Miriam, I will have to try that! I have now picked so many beans that the Good Ethnic Boy wants to start giving them away. I told him no and have started freezing the yellow ones. >:D

Noooo!  You don't give away the yummies until you can't store any more! ;D  When my dad had a (very-productive) veg patch, we used to give away loads of stuff, but I'm so new to having my own "potager" that I only give things away when I'm overwhelmed with produce.  I'm hoping that in years to come, I will find a nice balance between stashing so much chutney we can barely turn around and giving it all away so I don't have to bother! ;)

I'm going to have a serious think about planting things in pouches/pots and then letting them paddle - it sounds a great arrangement, if you can deter the mozzies.  It would also prevent the problem I had one year with ants finding the roots an irresistible home!  I "fixed" that by buying some neem oil [well, it hasn't happened since, so I'm assuming the bottle on the shelf acts as a talisman against the little "botherers"? ;)]...

I hope your knee settles down as you regain more strength/normal range of movement with your hip; I know from experience that anything affecting gait can have a knock-on effect going up/down the body, and getting it fixed can then unsettle it all over again.  Good to have a right-temperature hydrotherapy pool, even if you can't use it at the moment; hope you cope OK without it until next year.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

RevMaxx

« Reply #647 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:07 AM »
IM watching and reading andd enjoying.And thankful fo r you all comments  8)
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

RevMaxx

« Reply #648 on: January 15, 2018, 11:40:17 PM »
and for Mel your  pics !
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".