News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird (and possibly rude) invite, or am I just sensitive? - updated p2  (Read 18000 times)

gmatoy

Re: Weird (and possibly rude) invite, or am I just sensitive?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 11:20:58 PM »
We did all go out and have dinner afterwards which was generally enjoyable, mostly because I enjoy talking to Kate. Sally did make a few strange comments. Kate and I were discussing which meals we were thinking of ordering, and Sally announced that she'd only need her sibling there for all the people in the world most likely to give her a migraine to be in one place. When she wanted to know why I wasn't drinking, I explained to her that I was on painkillers and wasn't sure how it would mix, especially since I was driving. She announced that Kate and I needed to catch up more often since she didn't know any other people who were as sick as we two were. I wasn't especially impressed, since I don't really discuss my health or make a big deal of it.

Whaaaaaa?  :o :o :o

"You two are both sick" could be passed off as simply graceless.  The migraine comment, however, cannot.  I'm sorry, OP, but I think implying that one's friends cause migraines is indeed mean-spirited.

POD

I'd lose Sally's number. But if you enjoy Kate, reach out to her and befriend her.

Actually, that would be a great (and ironic) outcome! If the OP and Kate ended up dropping Sally and becoming really good friends!

But yes, Sally does sound like a total pill, frankly. After the comment about "I don't know anyone as sick as you two are" I'd be tempted to blurt out "But Sally, I thought YOU were the one with the migraine?"

And the bolded for the win!

weaselfrance

Re: Weird (and possibly rude) invite, or am I just sensitive?
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »
... Sally announced that she'd only need her sibling there for all the people in the world most likely to give her a migraine to be in one place....

Snarky me would refuse any and all future invitations from this woman with the excuse that I wouldn't want to risk giving her a migraine.

Polite me would have other plans each and every time she invited me anywhere. Even if the plans only consisted of sitting on the sofa in my pj's doing nothing.

EllenS

Re: Weird (and possibly rude) invite, or am I just sensitive? - updated p2
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
Sally does not sound like a friend. She sounds like someone I would like to get away from as fast as possible.