News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thank You Note rudeness - what to say?  (Read 14939 times)

Peppergirl

Re: Thank You Note rudeness - what to say?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
Congrats on the new baby!  It's hard for me to believe that any loving family member would be annoyed at not getting a thank you note 10 days after a gift was sent to a family with as much going on as yours is.

POD to this.  And in this day/age of most of us being so busy 24/7, I'm also a little envious of anyone that clearly has that much time on his or her hands to even notice, let alone also apparently counted out the days.  ::)

My advice has all been covered by other posters, so I just wanted to offer congrats on your baby, OP!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:32:48 PM by Peppergirl »

BabyGirl41

• i heart little piggies :)
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 09:09:43 PM »
I've gotten all my notes out (except for the gifts that just came today in celebration of DS2's baptism) so this matter is resolved. I chose not to give Auntie any more correspondence about it, but today at the baptism she approached me and said "I'm glad you got a note out to Uncle. He thought he had the address wrong."

I have a hard time swallowing that one because Uncle and his wife have sent us a few gifts before (DS1's baptism, birthday, etc), and I've had the same address for 6 years. But, c'est la vie. Now on to write those from today's wonderful ceremony (I cried!). My brother (he's a priest) did an amazing job and it was beautiful. :)
Love my DH, love my baby. Life is sweet :)

lakey

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »
I chose not to give Auntie any more correspondence about it, but today at the baptism she approached me and said "I'm glad you got a note out to Uncle. He thought he had the address wrong."

I would have responded, "Uh, huh," and then excused myself to do something else.

Maybe this varies with families, but in my family Auntie would be viewed as nosey, and at some point someone would end up telling her to mind her own business. I'm not in favor of speaking up to someone like this, because it isn't worth the aggravation. I'm in favor of ignoring her. But, seriously, it is none of her business. If this is how she acts, I'm surprised that no one has told her to butt out.

Elisabunny

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
Yeah, I think Auntie is a troublemaker.  >:(
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

bopper

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »
Probable scenario:

NoseyAuntie:  Did you send a gift to OP?
Uncle: Yes, a blah blah
NoseyAuntie: Did you get a thank you note yet?
Uncle: No...i expect she will, unlike other sister's kids

If NoseyAuntie contacts you:  "I am not sure why you are contacting me about this. I will communicate with Uncle directly."

Thipu1

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:55 AM »

This is probably true.  In any family there are almost always people who 'prefer their grievances'.

When we married, most people sent gifts before the actual Wedding.  It was easy to get out a TY or so a day as the gifts were received. 

However, there were some who gave their gifts at our reception.  We had just moved into a new home, both of us were working full time and we were getting ready for our honeymoon that was to take place a week after the actual Wedding.  To manage the TYs, I put them into a file and was sending out the notes in alphabetical order according to the last name of the giver. 

We were married on a Saturday.  On Wednesday, we received a phone call Aunt Lulu's daughter asking why her mother hadn't yet received her TY note.  Aunt Lulu's last name began with 'Y'. 

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »

This is probably true.  In any family there are almost always people who 'prefer their grievances'.

When we married, most people sent gifts before the actual Wedding.  It was easy to get out a TY or so a day as the gifts were received. 

However, there were some who gave their gifts at our reception.  We had just moved into a new home, both of us were working full time and we were getting ready for our honeymoon that was to take place a week after the actual Wedding.  To manage the TYs, I put them into a file and was sending out the notes in alphabetical order according to the last name of the giver. 

We were married on a Saturday.  On Wednesday, we received a phone call Aunt Lulu's daughter asking why her mother hadn't yet received her TY note.  Aunt Lulu's last name began with 'Y'.

This should be under the definition of Drama Llama. You must have had to use your turbo mode ehell training to not exclaim, "Are you kidding me?"

Thipu1

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
Unfortunately, we were married in 1983.  E-Hell didn't exist back then.  I jumped the line and got out Aunt Lulu's TY.  Of course, from that point on, my encounters with Aunt Lulu were always colored by the perception that I 'needed to be shamed in order to send her a TY'. 

FWIW, Aunt Lulu's wedding gift was a set of six dish towels. 

andi

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
From now on id keep it a simple "than you for your concern. I have it covered". Icy stare.  Silence.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Great that you finished the first set of notes, and good luck with the one from the christening.

I think keeping Aunt at arms length is the way to go, and giving Uncle the benefit of the doubt unless & until he directly says anything to you.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich