News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 09:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How would you respond to this notice?

Buy a present, say nothing
16 (10.5%)
Don't buy a present, say nothing
66 (43.1%)
Talk to the teacher
28 (18.3%)
Talk to the principal
43 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Teacher Baby Shower  (Read 14806 times)

Sharnita

Re: Teacher Baby Shower
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
I think I'd ask the parent distributing spare gifts exactly what the deal was.

Runningstar

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:30 PM »
I think I'd ask the parent distributing spare gifts exactly what the deal was.

If the OP were to say anything to anyone about the shower, this is exactly what I'd say to do.  If said/asked in the right way (which depends on the personality of the parent organizer & I have no clue!) it could actually help to put a different opinion out there that these gift giving "opportunities" are not pleasing to everyone.

4children

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Today's party was for good behavior. Just using it as an example of communication. The shower was after lunch. I've had kids in school in 4 different states and having the teacher step out has never been a problem. I wasn't bothered by that.

I stated I dislike the Baby Shower at school idea but I think the parent (warning -  assumption here) was trying to make the kids without presents feel included. Misguided? Sure. Intentionally singling kids out? I don't think so.

sammycat

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
I stated I dislike the Baby Shower at school idea but I think the parent (warning -  assumption here) was trying to make the kids without presents feel included. Misguided? Sure. Intentionally singling kids out? I don't think so.

I agree with you on the bolded.  It doesn't make the whole situation any better though.

The parent might have had the best of intentions in organising the party, but the teacher really should have shut the whole thing down. Anything beyond someone providing a cake/cupcakes during class time is inappropriate IMO.

Edited for repeating two words within a sentence.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:31:07 AM by sammycat »

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »

I agree with you on the bolded.  It doesn't make the whole situation any better though.

The parent might have had the best of intentions in organising the party, but the teacher really should have shut the whole the whole thing down. Anything beyond someone providing a cake/cupcakes during class time is inappropriate IMO.

POD, POD, POD.

This whole thing sounds incredibly inappropriate. I agree that the parent with the extra gifts probably had good intentions. But making the kids line up and give their gifts one-by-one was appalling! I wonder whose idea it was? Even if it was a parent's idea, the teacher should have absolutely shut it down, and just suggested that any gifts be placed on her desk (or something).

Re: the teacher stepping out, I have no issues with a teacher ducking out to use the bathroom, or for something else that's quick. And at ages 11-12, the kids should be old enough to fend for themselves for a few minutes. But decorating a room / setting up for a party usually takes longer than that. I think the teacher was unprofessional in choosing to leave the room for that amount of time.

I'd be making the principal aware of this situation, and expressing my displeasure with the whole thing.

Goog

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2016, 11:52:33 PM »
Very weird if initiated by the teacher herself. Even if it wasn't, the whole thing was just probably badly communicated all around.  If not initiated by the teacher, that should be transparent; that is, the communication shouldn't be coming from the teacher.

But this reminded me (fondly) of the year I was in 5th grade and my teacher was pregnant.  Somehow, we got the idea to give her a baby shower.  We (the kids) enlisted the help of some parents and the principal, and we did it all as a surprise.  We took some contributions and went shopping with one of the moms, who suggested and supervised all of the purchases.  We arranged to bring food and have the use of the cafeteria for the party. 

As I said, it was all a surprise.  We did it all behind the scenes.  I was one of the good kids who NEVER got in trouble, and I remember having to keep a straight face when I got called to the office to be ostensibly reprimanded for doing something bad, because we needed a way to get out of class to get to the cafeteria so we could set up the shower, without my teacher suspecting anything. 

She was SO surprised and the 'shower' was a big hit.  It was awesome. She admitted later that she couldn't figure out what I had possibly done wrong because I never did anything wrong, but she went with it.  It was so fun to plan that and surprise our teacher.  She was great and we really adored her, so that just made it better. 

But what was described in the OP just seems....forced, somehow.  Maybe because the teacher, herself, used the word "shower" and basically advertised it herself.  In our case, it was a surprise for her and she had nothing to do with it.  In the OP, it almost seems....solicited, somehow.  Not saying that it actually was, but for her to put it in the newsletter like that, it gives it that air.