News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BBQ tomorrow - please help!  (Read 3859 times)

Eve_Eire

Re: BBQ tomorrow - please help!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
Also, please forgive me for being picky...but that is not a BBQ. Barbecue is a style of cooking. What you are doing is grilling/cooking out. The two are not interchangeable. Calling it a BBQ will most likely cause disappointment in some of your guests (although I'm sure they are polite enough that they wouldn't show it!). I say this as a BBQ judge.

This is so interesting!  We don't have the word "cook out" in Ireland so it's always called a barbecue here... what do you call the actual thing you're cooking on though? Is it not called a barbecue in America?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »
You cook on a grill. Some styles might be called a barbecue grill.
Nothing to see here.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »
It depends on the device. We have a gas grill and a smoker. If I'm bbq'ing then I'm using the smoker. If I'm grilling then I'm using the gas grill.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
Ontario, Canada here.

The grill is called a barbecue (BBQ), some people also have smokers.  The cookout event is called a BBQ, sometimes 'backyard BBQ'.  So I think the terms used are definitely regional.

I was going to make some suggestions for sides but I see that the party has already happened.  Hope it went well!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twirly

• Your Pop Filter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »
OP here – The party went great! In addition to burgers, dogs, chicken, and corn on the grill, we also had pasta salad, fruit salad, buffalo chicken dip, veggie tray, coleslaw, broccoli salad and green salad – that sounds like a lot of salads all typed up ha. There was also brownies and pineapple cake. We had way more food than we needed, especially since after changing the terms Dad brought a bunch of food himself…but no beer. Whereas previously he made it pretty clear he’d still be providing beer but no food…So we had TONS of food, but nothing to drink for a while until my sister’s boyfriend saved the day and went on a beer run. I don’t know why Dad made so may switcheroos with what he was comfortable providing, but everyone had a great time and since we are moving we aren’t likely to be in this position again so I’m letting it go.

Thanks again to the awesome Ehell community who always has the best ideas on the internet!

Demons dipped in adorable

My snarky alter ego co-writes a pop culture blog: http://yourpopfilter.com/

Roe

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »

Thanks again to the awesome Ehell community who always has the best ideas on the internet!

Seriously, they really do!

Glad everything went well.  Good luck on your move!