News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 02:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: kid's birthday party - late rsvp's  (Read 3381 times)

lorelai

kid's birthday party - late rsvp's
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:55:41 AM »
Out of my son's daycare class of 13 families, 5 have rsvp'd for his party this weekend. I haven't heard from the other 8 and have no way of getting in touch with them as we sent out paper invitations. I have heard this is par for the course when inviting school friends, so not complaining about that. But do you plan goodie bags for kids if they haven't rsvp'd? I would hate to have someone show and not have a bag for them, I'd feel bad if they felt left out. Just wondering how parents have handled this in the past. Planning out my goodie bags today so trying to get a handle on this.

Zizi-K

Re: kid's birthday party - late rsvp's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
What if, instead of making up goody bags in advance, you maybe have a bin with all the stuff you were going to use, and then you ask the kids to take 5 pieces each. That is, they make up their own goody bags. If more kids come, they take 4 pieces each, etc.

turnip

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:31:14 AM »
We went to a party recently where the kids got sticker books instead of bags.  My daughter and I were delighted!  You could consider something like that where if you buy at a local book/toy store they'd accept returns.

Also at a party I was at recently the favors were small bags of fun-sized candies - so you can always eat the leftovers or take them to work.  Then there was a pinata where toys fell out and all the kids grabbed some and added them to their bag.  I'm somewhat iffy on pinatas myself - too much potential for bumps and hurt feelings depending on the size and speed of the kids - but the kids seemed to enjoy the experience.

green.and.blue

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
Here's how we've done it... as the kids arrive, they each decorate a plain paper bag - fun while they enter at different times! Then, as you play each game or whatever they each get a 'prize' maybe a toy, maybe some stickers, maybe some candy - and put it in their bag (also write their names!). At the end of the party, they get all their "stuff" to take home. This lets you portion things out as needed depending on how many show up, or if (as has happened to me!) some show late. DD's 5th birthday, I had two extras come at the start, then one kid showed up 1/2 hour late and another 45 minutes. I had made up the loot bags based on the number who rsvp'd, and I "reshuffled" the things 3 times! After that I changed my ways... Good luck!

lorelai

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »
Thank you all for the advice! These were toddlers with not great coordination so I think some of your advice will be really helpful in later years. I ended up buying a bunch of bags and then items to fill it that I didn't mind having excess of... things my kid would like to play with. That seemed to work!

bopper

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
As a veteran mom:

Goodie bags come in packs of 8.  Get 8 sets of everything and then you have extra.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »
I remember some other poster on another thread, when faced with similar bad RSVP rates, stopped putting the exact location on the invitation, so the invited but unresponsive did not have all the information necessary to arrive at the party without alerting the host.

Margo

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:33 AM »
I'd be tempted to stop doing goody bags. It doesn't solve the issue of how much food to prepare but it solves the issue of how many gifts to buy.

If you want to, send each child home with a piece of cake and a balloon - those you can do at the last minutes just before they leave.