News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A guest brings food to your party that you've already made  (Read 12371 times)

Yvaine

Re: A guest brings food to your party that you've already made
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
I'm curious about the potlucks others have mentioned that were all desserts, or all bread. Did no one assign dishes? I know it's possible to over-micromanage potlucks (i.e. that famous "Thanksgiving letter"), but some hosts go too far in the other direction.

In the case of my all-doughnuts potluck, there was no organization, just a signup sheet to say you were coming.

Same with our all-bread one. Total accident. There were like 15 people there, and somehow everyone brought carbs.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
I'm curious about the potlucks others have mentioned that were all desserts, or all bread. Did no one assign dishes? I know it's possible to over-micromanage potlucks (i.e. that famous "Thanksgiving letter"), but some hosts go too far in the other direction.

In the case of my all-doughnuts potluck, there was no organization, just a signup sheet to say you were coming.

Same with our all-bread one. Total accident. There were like 15 people there, and somehow everyone brought carbs.
I went to one that 6 people brought spinach dip in bread bowls or with assorted crackers.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

CakeEater

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

I went to one that 6 people brought spinach dip in bread bowls or with assorted crackers.

I've never been to a potluck that didn't have some kind of organisation: ether group A brings mains and group B desserts, or people sign up for one of those.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
I have, and I MUCH prefer some organization so it doesn't happen that way.  I don't want to be assigned a particular dish, but a category is fine, I can work with that.  Or a straight sign up where we are asked to not duplicate anothers item.  So that everybody can see what the rest are bringing, and make sure all food groups are present.  It's a lot more fun that way, IMO.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

sammycat

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »
I'm not one for confrontation and to me that entire situation is awkward. everyone would know that I made X dish and since they are 2 X dish, there must have been a mix up of sorts. That's why I've been putting my own away. I don't want people to know that 1. A guest stepped boundaries 2.  I have way too much X dish. 3. I must know "be mad" guest that brought X dish which creates awkwardness

You are way overthinking this. Most people aren't going to know or care where the food came from.  Nor are they going to think a guest overstepped boundaries, that you're mad, or that you had too much of (whatever).

If I saw 2 of (whatever) sitting on a table, my main reaction would be "yum, lots of (whatever)"  - if I gave it any thought at all. 

If, for some unknown reason, I became aware the a guest had brought something that the host had already supplied, and then I saw the host put their own away, I'd think that was very odd. If anyone's should be put away, it's the guests'.  Depending on the type of party it is, then having multiples of (whatever) is not going to be a problem at all. If, however, it was Christmas and a guest turned up with a duplicate turkey, or it was a dinner party and the guest turned up with a duplicate main dish, then of course theirs is going to be the one put away. Why on earth would the host  put their own food away?  If it's just a casual party/BBQ, then who cares if there's two lots of chocolate cake?

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »
The Potluck Queen usually invites mostly the same people and asks on the FB page for people to post what they're bringing.  Some comply with the request and if I'm going I'll post the food.  I always bring Knorr Spinach Dip, so nobody duplicates that.  I didn't have a lot of time last weekend so I bought a rotisserie chicken to bring.  Had I known she had bags of oven-ready wings in the freezer I might have brought something different (like oven-ready burritos).

My Jello-based fruit tart is very favored but I can't make that again until cherries are in season.

KenveeB

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2016, 06:54:37 AM »
Last year my friend the Potluck Queen had a St Patrick's Day party to which everyone brought sweets.  Not a big surprise with an 8PM start time.  She had also made cupcakes (but doesn't otherwise cook).  Nobody brought anything resembling "real food."

This year it was almost exactly the opposite in addition to the unopened bags of frozen oven-ready wings she had from Super Bowl.  There was too much chicken.

Since other people are mostly stepping up to contribute (except the guy with the stale matzohs) I don't bring as much stuff as I used to.  If there is another party before the weather gets too warm I might make either Italian or Moroccan meatballs.

An old friend group of mine once had the Party of Bread. Literally everyone brought some kind of bread, roll, pastry, etc.

Whereas I went to a potluck once and everyone knew that there was always a ton of bread -- so no one brought bread. I missed part of the party running to the store for bread, because we did need some!

gellchom

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2016, 02:07:05 PM »
The best way I've seen to keep a potluck reasonably balanced without micromanaging is to do like A-F bring beverages, G-K bring salads, L- P bring desserts, etc.  It really doesn't matter if more than one person brings the same kind of salad or dessert. 

But actually I think it's funny and certainly no catastrophe if it turns out to be an all dessert or all bread party.  Just goes to show what a like-minded group you are!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »

My Jello-based fruit tart is very favored but I can't make that again until cherries are in season.

Would you share you recipe, please ?  :D

gellchom

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »
I'm not one for confrontation and to me that entire situation is awkward. everyone would know that I made X dish and since they are 2 X dish, there must have been a mix up of sorts. That's why I've been putting my own away. I don't want people to know that 1. A guest stepped boundaries 2.  I have way too much X dish. 3. I must know "be mad" guest that brought X dish which creates awkwardness

You are way overthinking this. Most people aren't going to know or care where the food came from.  Nor are they going to think a guest overstepped boundaries, that you're mad, or that you had too much of (whatever).

If I saw 2 of (whatever) sitting on a table, my main reaction would be "yum, lots of (whatever)"  - if I gave it any thought at all. 

I think this says it perfectly. 

Venus193

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »

Would you share you recipe, please ?  :D

No problem.

Black Forest Fruit Tart (makes 2 pies)

1 reg size box sugar free Black Cherry Jello
6 oz boiling water
6 tbsp Cherry Kijafa wine
cold water (see instructions)
1/2 standard-size tub sugar-free Cool Whip (do not use any reduced fat version; it won't work)
1 pint strawberries, trimmed and quartered
1/2 pint raspberries
1/2 pint blackberries
1 cup Bing cherries, pitted and halved
2 Keebler chocolate pie crusts

Dissolve jello powder in 6 oz boiling water, add Cherry Kijafa, then add cold water to make 12 oz.  Place in fridge until it reaches a thick syrup texture (or until you draw a spoon through and see a path.  Start checking this at 45 minutes).

Clean and process fruit per above, dry on paper towels, and divide evenly between the two crusts.  Add Cool Whip to jello mixture and blend by hand in mixing bowl.  Pour over fruit in crusts, remove label from clear covering of crust and invert to use as lid, crimp edge over the rim, and place in fridge until set.  Do this the day before you want to serve it to be on the safe side.

The sugar-free versions are recommended to reduce calories and to reduce prep time, as the regular version of Jello requires more boiling water to dissolve it.

Edited to clear up confusion.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:17:24 PM by Venus193 »

TeamBhakta

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2016, 11:49:48 PM »

No problem.

Black Forest Fruit Tart

Ooh, thank you!  :D

gramma dishes

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »

No problem.

Black Forest Fruit Tart

1 reg size box sugar free Black Cherry Jello
6 oz boiling water
6 tbsp Cherry Kijafa wine
cold water (see instructions)
1/2 standard-size tub sugar-free Cool Whip (do not use any reduced fat version; it won't work)
1 pint strawberries, trimmed and quartered
1/2 pint raspberries
1/2 pint blackberries
1 cup Bing cherries, pitted and halved
2 Keebler chocolate pie crusts

Dissolve jello powder in 6 oz boiling water, add Cherry Kijafa, then add cold water to make 12 oz.  Place in fridge until it reaches a thick syrup texture (or until you draw a spoon through and see a path.  Start checking this at 45 minutes).

Clean and process fruit per above, dry on paper towels, and divide evenly between the two crusts.  Add Cool Whip to jello mixture and blend by hand in mixing bowl.  Pour over fruit in crusts, invert top covering of crust into lid, and place in fridge until set.  Do this the day before you want to serve it to be on the safe side.  ...

I'm confused about the bolded.  Are you making two "pies" or one?  Do you fill both and then turn one of them over on top of the other so there's a top and bottom crust?  How do you do that without the contents spilling out?

Venus193

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
Sorry about that; it's two pies.

Keebler crusts come with clear plastic coverings that fit inside and are held under the crimped edge.  You used those as lids by  removing the labels and inverting them so they cover the finished pie and then put them back under the crimped edge.

gramma dishes

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Sorry about that; it's two pies.

Keebler crusts come with clear plastic coverings that fit inside and are held under the crimped edge.  You used those as lids by  removing the labels and inverting them so they cover the finished pie and then put them back under the crimped edge.

Oh, thanks.  Obviously I'm not familiar with the Keebler crusts.   :-[