News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:19:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shedding and Thinning Hair  (Read 1804 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Shedding and Thinning Hair
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:28 PM »
I hate to post this. I hate to admit it. And I hate that I am so vain about this.

I am losing my hair. A lot. I've been in menopause for about two years and it's like my hair can't jump off my scalp fast enough. My husband has taken to "desheddifying" me on the front porch before we go anywhere. The shedding and the increasing bald patches are alarming to me.

I've spoken with several hairdressers and tried all of their (often expensive!) solutions, quit coloring and blow drying my hair. I no longer use a curling iron. Nothing helps. It's especially saddening because my hair has been my best feature my entire life. I wear it quite long even now in my fifties and intend to forever.

So, I know that in the scheme of things I should just be happy that I have a good life, but I can't help but feel what I feel. I am at the point that I'm going to try Rogaine for Women. It's my last resort. If this doesn't work then I don't know what else I can do.

So, I am wondering if anyone here has had this issue, what remedies they have tried and if they have any general advice to offer? Or should I just get over myself be happy with what I've got?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

PlainJane

Re: Shedding and Thinning Hair
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat, although I'm in my early 60's and went through menopause 20 years ago.

It has only been the last couple of years that I have been losing hair at (to me) an alarming rate. I used to have very thick hair, but no more. Every time I (gently!) comb my hair I wonder, "How is it I am not completely bald?"

I recently started adding unflavored gelatin to my diet but really it hasn't been long enough to tell if it has made a difference. I also am considering Rogaine/minoxidil if this doesn't help.

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
I think that you need to see a doctor, and not just a hairdresser.  There could be many reasons for shedding hair, and you need to get to the bottom of this with a professional.  Good luck!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:02:42 PM »
I think that you need to see a doctor, and not just a hairdresser.  There could be many reasons for shedding hair, and you need to get to the bottom of this with a professional.  Good luck!

I agree, there are medical options out there for thinning hair/balding.  I think my aunt sees a dermatologist for her hair loss.  It's late now, but I'll ask in the morning. 

NestHolder

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
I'm 55, and now very thin on top - male pattern baldness is acceptable in males, but when you're a woman it really feels terrible.  I don't have any nameable condition, and I think my hair loss is mostly unfortunate genetics, but possibly also something to do with having polycystic ovaries.

So I have a hairpiece.  As the back and sides of my head are still respectably covered with hair, rather than resort to an actual wig (wigs can be very hot), I have a piece which clips onto the hair and—well, honestly, most people have no idea it is there.  I began with an off-the-shelf piece, which matched my hair really well.  My hair is what I'd describe as 'English Mouse', so a soft light brown and not uncommon.  I graduated to a custom-made piece which is incredibly comfortable, and which really does look entirely natural.  It is human hair.  Even my hairdresser was surprised when I took it off!

The company where I get my hairpieces (there's another one on the way, as they don't last for ever) is called Trendco, but they're in the UK.  It takes many weeks to get a piece made, but the results are really good.

I don't wear my hairpieces to the gym, resorting instead to large hairbands instead, which keep the sweat out of my eyes as well as hiding the bald patch.  But I've decided not to care if people see me putting on the hairpiece, so I dry my hair and then apply the thing in front of the communal mirror.  I know that isn't something that would appeal to everyone—I've never been pretty, so I've never set much store by my appearance (although obviously I am not prepared to be bald in public!).  But because it is human hair, you can blow dry it and style it quite easily.

In the meanwhile, my doctor did suggest iron tablets would, or at least might, slow down the hair loss.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
I noticed my hair falling out worse than usual when I started taking Synthroid (thyroid medication) and it turns out that Synthroid messes with your B12 levels.  So I take a B12 supplement every work day (not on weekends or holidays, just so I'm not getting too much) and the difference is amazing.  No more hair clogging the shower drain. 

Maybe have your B12 checked?  Or take the supplement anyway?  Can't hurt anything.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
I'm shedding more than I used to - hypothyroid & it's one of the major symptoms.  It's also the one of the two things that turned my doctor's "get more exercise" into "let's test for thyroid antibodies"...the other was the sheer number of family members already taking thyroid (my father & his sister (paternal aunt) and maternal grandmother & two maternal aunts [but not my mother - turns out one aunt has the same Hashimoto's Thyroiditis that I got diagnosed with] - plus a few cousins on that side of the family are now being evaluated, some six years later). 

I'm still shedding, I take B-12 (got told to take less as my levels are high in blood tests earlier this month), and my brush is still choked with hair...male pattern baldness does not run in the family...at least, my brothers' have receding hairlines, but the hair that they still have (further back than it was fifteen years ago) is still pretty thick.  It may be graying or even almost white, but it's there. 

But blood tests may tell your doctor more about what needs to be done than a hairdresser could ever do...

The only medical advice that can be offered is "have you talked to your doctor about that as a symptom for him to track down?" - because there are so many medical issues with similar symptoms but very different causes.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

lilihob

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
First thing you need to do is get a thorough check up.
No medical advice, but thyroid, anaemia, drug side effects and menopause, can cause hair loss.
When you get a clean bill of health there are treatments you can try. Rogaine etc.
And wigs and hairpieces have got so realistic now.
Personally, my hairdresser cuts my hair to make the most of what's there, and I use thickening shampoo and conditioner.
It's so hard, losing your hair, I know, it makes it difficult to feel feminine.

rose red

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
I have very thick beautiful hair.....except for one very noticeable bald spot :(. Anything I try just looks like a comb-over. I also suggest a good hairdresser or hair piece. If those don't work, at least it's not permanent.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »
While you're waiting to see the doctor/get test results, you can use mascara matching your hair color to thicken your remaining hairs and color your scalp to minimize the look of the balding spots.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
Sympathies. This is a medical issue beyond the purview of the board.

Best wishes.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.