News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 24, 2017, 04:24:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would This Freak You Out?  (Read 11354 times)

Ida

• L' Esprit d' Escalier
Re: Would This Freak You Out?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:27 PM »
I'm amused by the replies that class the house in question as too new for historical interest. In my area, there's a push recently for the historical preservation of houses by the architect Eichler -- quintessential 1950s homes.

Our house is over 100 years old, built a couple of years before the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Well, our half of the place, the upper story. It was raised around 1959 to add a second story underneath, and in the process underwent a complete characterectomy.

When we moved in, some 20 years ago, we had an electrician replace the old knob-and-tube wiring. While digging around in the (unfinished) attic, he found some artifacts: a child's toy or two, some pink rickrack, a small aluminum mold or baking pan (size and shape of a donut, with scalloping), bits of a picture frame, a car dealer's pamphlet, a membership manual for a local Portuguese social club, postcards from the Azores, and a photo of a family standing in front of what must've been the original house. One guy was holding a Portuguese guitar, with a deep lute-like back.

Of course we were thrilled. Though I almost wept to see the fine woodwork that the '59 renovators had covered with stucco and painted a sort of duller putty-color.

I have yet to assemble all the finds into an artwork (?) of some sort, but they're stashed safely.

So, as you might guess, I'm in the "Send it!" camp.
Where's my Barbie Action Figure??

Runningstar

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
Whether or not you decide to share the pictures, think about asking the local historical society if they want them.  The place where we vacation was very grateful to get any pictures from people's vacations even in the 70's as the place has changed so much.  And, in an old picture I found, seeing the old cars that were new in the picture is really cool.

menley

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
Our first house was only built in the 1960s, but when we first moved in, we were visited by the woman who lived across the street. She was the original owner of her home and had photos of the neighborhood from when she moved in, including a lovely series of photos of the view from her front porch (where our house ultimately was). The series started with horses lazing in grassy fields! It was hard to believe that even as recently as the 1960s that there were horses only 3 miles from downtown. She had a few showing the construction of the house as well. I still wish I'd asked to make copies.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:16:24 PM by menley »

squeakers

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
I would love to have pictures of our little house from days gone bye! It was a 1 room cabin built in the 1800s and over the years they added on a kitchen, bathroom and another bedroom.  It went from probably 50'X50' to 900sq ft.

The house we live in now I was lucky enough to get a picture from an older sister that showed how very different it is now on the inside.  The people who originally built had lived on the opposite side of the yard in an 1800's house and decided to build a bigger house for their retirement.  They were the aunt and uncle of my brother-in-law.

Nowadays we use the south facing kitchen door to enter the house.  Back then it would have entered into a mudroom.  To the east would have been the master bedroom with a bathroom, to the north would have been the entrance to a 1 car garage and right next to that door was the entrance to the basement (west).  If you turned west as you walked in it would have taken you into the kitchen.  In the kitchen to the north was the living room and in the photo you could see the handicapped accessible ramp. To the west would have been a bathroom and 1 bedroom.

After they died the next owners changed everything: they changed the mudroom and master bedroom into one giant kitchen.  The loss of the second bathroom is keenly felt at times.  The old kitchen and living room had a wall taken down to become one giant living room.  And the back bedroom was split into 2 bedrooms. The one car garage had the moveable door removed and was turned into a 3rd bedroom.

So when we bought it: we put a wall back up in the living room and that room to the north became our bedroom.  The ramp was just a few of the support beams sticking out of the ground so that's all gone now.  And since I have decided I would rather live here for eternity (unless a really perfect for me further out in the country house shows up) we are talking about enclosing what we call the back porch which used to be the main entrance.  The garage/bedroom is used as a mudroom and storage.  I have dreamed about turning it into an awesome "just for me" room but I don't think the loft is strong enough to actually hold a bed and dressers and the whole area would need massive amounts of insulation (I don't know how anyone could sleep out there in the winter: we keep our pop and veggies out there and sometimes they freeze!)

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Semperviren

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »
I'd love it. My house is only 70 years old or so and hasn't changed that much but the area I live in has changed dramatically in the last 50 years. There are two HUGE redwood trees in my yard (huge like, 15 feet around the trunk) and I'd love to see photos of them from years ago.