News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 11:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dessert contribution for non-dessert people  (Read 6977 times)

Ceallach

• This Is It
Dessert contribution for non-dessert people
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
Five mothers get together once every 6-8 weeks for dinner.  Either at a restaurant (all throw in on the bill split by number of attendees) or if at somebody's house it's takeaways (all put in).    All coordination is via messenger.   Next catch-up is agreed to be at Amy's house because she has a young baby and it suits her best not to go out.

A week beforehand, Cally messages out of the blue saying "Bridget and I are bringing curry, naan and rice".         I can't think of anything I can bring to supplement that meal - I love to cook, but Indian food is not something I can do (love to eat, can't cook it!).  So I said that in that case I would bring a dessert.

Amy, (the hostess),   responded that she was happy if we all did take-away as usual, and I agreed that I would be more than happy with that, but if people are bringing things then I want to contribute.     But I guess that's out-voted.

So I have to bring a dessert.    None of us are really dessert people.   We will all eat and appreciate a particularly amazing dessert - something decadent and lovely - and in our day to day we will all eat fruit etc.   So it's kind of that all or nothing type of thing. 

I'm thinking of attempting chocolate brownies and also making a fruit platter.   It doesn't automatically go with Indian, but honestly nothing I make does.  Thoughts?  Advice?     
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Outdoor Girl

Re: Dessert contribution for non-dessert people
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »
I don't know about going with Indian but an easy, yet elegant dessert is an angel food cake with a berry sauce and extra fresh berries and whipped cream.  You can buy a pre-prepared cake or use one of the boxed mixes - they work quite well, IME.

If you want something to complement the Indian food, I think I would lean more down the dairy path, since it will combat any remaining heat from the main meal.  So a cheesecake with fruit topping, maybe?  The Indian buffet that I go to serves yoghurt and rice pudding as their desserts.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Alicia

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
How about a lassi which is a traditional indian dessert and is bassically a smoothie. You use plain yougurt and sweeten a bit and add say mangos or rosewater and strawberries. 

Zizi-K

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
Gajar Halwa is a delicious Indian/Pakistani dessert, and it's pretty easy to make. It's a carrot pudding, which sounds strange if you haven't had it, but one bite and you'll fall in love. The biggest effort is grating the carrots, but if you have a food processor it's easily done.

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gajar-halwa-recipe-gajar-ka-halwa/

saki

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
How about a lassi which is a traditional indian dessert and is bassically a smoothie. You use plain yougurt and sweeten a bit and add say mangos or rosewater and strawberries.

It really isn't a dessert for Indians- you would normally drink it alongside your meal.

Another thought for desserts is something which picks up some of the spice notes - e.g. a bit of chilli in your chocolate brownies.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:07:43 AM »
Fruit salad, fruit pizza, fruit platter, berries with a sour cream and brown sugar dip, etc. This sounds like a lovely group!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
It is a lovely group!  I always feel that they give more than I do so I don't want to let them down, I feel it's my turn to contribute.

Sorry for brief info, but I now have 1 day to organise and make it, and a 1yr old and 3yrd old to contend with.      (Yes, I wish I had asked for help sooner!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Hmmmmm

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:06 AM »
If your not dessert people, why not go with a side. You can do a riata and a chutney to be served with the curry or a tomatoe, cucumber, onion salad. I love samosas so I'd probably buy or make them. Most grocers have great options in their freezer section.

I also like the idea of a Lassi drink, mango or strawberry.

If you do want to stick with a dessert, do a trio of coconut, mango, and pistachio ice cream and sprinkle with toasted pistachios or almonds.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
I now have 1 day to organise and make it, and a 1yr old and 3yrd old to contend with.

In that case, I'd be tempted to buy something pre-made and just do a little work to dress it up yourself.  Like a plain cheesecake that you add fresh berries or a berry sauce to.

Alternatively, the rice pudding I mentioned earlier is pretty easy - you'd have to google a recipe as I don't have my normal recipe with me at work.  And you can make it ahead and stick it in the fridge.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
Since curry and other Indian food can be spicy, how about buying something light like good old vanilla ice cream? Or perhaps some sugar cookies; you can spread jam/preserves in between two cookies for a prettier treat.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:43:39 AM by rose red »

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
The Indian buffet near me almost always has a mango dessert on the buffet.  Here's a link with a bunch of recipes:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/mango-recipes-indian-mango-recipes/

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
A fruit platter sounds great, especially if you are not dessert people. Mango goes well with Indian dishes.

mime

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Gajar Halwa is a delicious Indian/Pakistani dessert, and it's pretty easy to make. It's a carrot pudding, which sounds strange if you haven't had it, but one bite and you'll fall in love. The biggest effort is grating the carrots, but if you have a food processor it's easily done.

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gajar-halwa-recipe-gajar-ka-halwa/

Oh, my... that sounds good! (mime, the carrot-aholic, speaking).

I dated a guy from India for 2 years in college, and he introduced a lot of Indian food, but for dessert he loved chocolate pudding. Cheap, American, instant, pudding. The only Indian dessert I ever had was gulab jamun (don't know if I spelled that correctly).

lorelai

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »
Being Indian and eating meals like this all the time, I would say bring ice cream. That helps cool things down if there was any spice level people weren't able to tolerate.

jpcher

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »
Fruit salad, fruit pizza, fruit platter, berries with a sour cream and brown sugar dip, etc. This sounds like a lovely group!

What is fruit pizza?

I now have 1 day to organise and make it, and a 1yr old and 3yrd old to contend with.

In that case, I'd be tempted to buy something pre-made and just do a little work to dress it up yourself.  Like a plain cheesecake that you add fresh berries or a berry sauce to.

Alternatively, the rice pudding I mentioned earlier is pretty easy - you'd have to google a recipe as I don't have my normal recipe with me at work.  And you can make it ahead and stick it in the fridge.

This sounds great and easy . . . use the mango that others have suggested.