News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who uses a Fitbit?  (Read 3034 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Who uses a Fitbit?
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
I've decided that I want to buy a Fitbit since I'm exercising a lot more and have become generally more health conscious. I see that there are quite a few models to choose from. I'm curious to know what my fellow EHellions use and what they do and do not like about them. Oh, and I also intend on getting the scale that syncs with the Fitbit, as well. So, any thoughts or tips on which one is the best?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

SamiHami

Re: Who uses a Fitbit?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
Oh, thank you Ladyknight! I didn't realize this topic had already been addressed.  :)

o_gal

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 06:32:01 AM »
Anyone who has an allergy to nickel, be aware that some models contain it in the wristband - http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/11/fitbit-acknowledges-latest-devices-are-causing-rashes-advises-to-give-your-wrist-a-rest/

Vall

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:58:58 AM »
I won a fitbit at Christmas.  I was really excited until I read the nickle allergy warning on the box.  I couldn't even try it so I sold it to a co-worker. :(

Octavia

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
I've been using the FitBit One for almost a year and a half. Really like it. It doesn't take up space on my wrist but instead clips onto any belt and waistband. It appears to be accurate. And the charge lasts several days. And the price is right - the wristband styles get pretty expensive, especially if you want them to look stylish.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
I have a Fitbit Flex.  The clasp is nickel but I'm able to wear it in such a way that the nickel doesn't touch my skin.  The only time I had an issue is when I wore it under my wrist brace and the brace pushed the clasp into my skin.

I really like it.  It has a small profile, it allows me to track my sleep and my steps, though it does need to be linked to a computer or smart phone to get the information.  I can also track my weight in the computer app.  There is a series of lights on the wrist brand that monitor the steps in 20% of your set point.  Mine is set for 10,000 steps so if only the first light is lit when I tap it, I know I've walked less than 2000 steps.  If there are 4 lights, then I know I've done between 6000 and 8000 steps.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
I've been using the FitBit One for almost a year and a half. Really like it. It doesn't take up space on my wrist but instead clips onto any belt and waistband. It appears to be accurate. And the charge lasts several days. And the price is right - the wristband styles get pretty expensive, especially if you want them to look stylish.

Same! It's a bit simpler than the wristband models but that's okay for me. I didn't think I'd need all the bells and whistles.

crella

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 08:07:27 PM »

Me, too. It's so small I hardly notice it. I've had mine just over a year. I got the One because I don't like anything on my wrist.

SamiHami

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »
I'm thinking about a Charge HR. I definitely want a wristband style and I've heard some good things about that particular model.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 08:55:06 PM »
I'm thinking about a Charge HR. I definitely want a wristband style and I've heard some good things about that particular model.

I have a couple of coworkers with the Charge.  Not sure if it is the HR version.  They both like them.

I will be considering the Garmin VivoFit for my next one but not because I'm unhappy with my Fitbit.  Canadian Medic Alert offers one with the medic alert information on the side of it, which would mean I would only need the VivoFit and not have to wear my Medic Alert watch on the other wrist.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Psychopoesie

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:16:59 AM »
I've been wearing the misfit shine for a couple of years. It's been great - I wanted one I could swim with and it's been just fine. Tracks sleep and activity. Can also link to other apps (like calorie counters) and there's social networking with other users but I haven't tried either. It's a round shape (like a watchface) that you can pop into a necklace, wristband or holder so very versatile.

The downside is that it can pop out of the wristband if it gets snagged or rubs against a surface. The bands are rubbery so if the band gets distorted somehow it can fall out. That's how I lost it last month while ferrying stuff to the car. Planning to get another at this point - I really like it.

Bales

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »
My husband got me the Fitbit Flex for my birthday a month ago and I wasn't that interested at first, but now that I have been wearing it, I like it.  I have it set up on both my computer and phone so I can sync to my phone, but also use my computer if I don't want to run blue tooth.  (I only turn blue tooth on to sync since I don't like having it on all the time.)  I'm not obsessed - I only sync about 1-2 times a week. 

I think I may prefer one with more of a read out on the wristband if I get more into it, but for now I like the slimmer profile.  I don't even have any goals set yet - just nice to see how active I am (or not) to get a baseline first.  I do like that I can track my water, weight, exercise, etc.  But it is creepy that it knows when I'm sleeping and how many times I am restless during the night.  LOL

Jovismom

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
I got a Fitbit Charge HR about 5 months ago.  I love it!   I'd actually lost over 40 pounds before I got it. I've only lost a couple of pounds since I've had it but, I didn't get it to lose weight.  I've always had trouble not gaining weight as I switch to maintenance and that's what I really wanted it for.

I initially had it linked to My Fitness Pal but there were issues between them often enough that I tried logging my meals into Fitbit instead and found it wasn't bad.  I've stuck with logging in Fitbit since then.

I also have a Withings scale that I step on every morning.  It's linked to my Fitbit account and keeps me honest.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
I love, love, love my Vivofit! I have a few different bands for it so I can switch them out. And the fact that the battery lasts for a year is perfect for me.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien