News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ehellions, I need your help to make this shower game - answer 1 short question  (Read 10226 times)

MummySweet

Florist/flowers won't show

Elisabunny

The cake will be wrecked.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dr. F.

Something horrible, e.g, a stain, will happen to the dress right before the ceremony.

CrazyDaffodilLady

Groom doesn't show up.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

caverat

Since it's a Jewish wedding, I'm going with: The glass doesn't get broken.

Sara Crewe

Groom fainting

Arila

My first thought was cake disaster, but I wonder if it isn't too late now and the shower is already passed?

Also, I'm really sad about all the "groom doesn't show" worries. As a bride, I would be really offended actually, that my mom was worried that the guy wouldn't want to marry me so badly that he would stand me up at the altar...

gellchom

Yes, the shower was a few weeks ago. The game was fun. Thank you all for helping. 

Although it was by far the most common answer, we did omit "groom won't show up" for the reason you said. We thought it might hurt both mom's and bride's feelings. 

We substituted "bride/groom might be late," I think. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
My first thought was cake disaster, but I wonder if it isn't too late now and the shower is already passed?

Also, I'm really sad about all the "groom doesn't show" worries. As a bride, I would be really offended actually, that my mom was worried that the guy wouldn't want to marry me so badly that he would stand me up at the altar...

That's the weird thing, even though I was one of the people who said it (because it was literally the first thought that popped into my head), I have no idea why - I'm 100% certain it's not something my own mother worried about, or that I worried about.     Must be some kind of pop culture reference that made me think of it, but I don't know what!

Probably was the right call to omit it from the game, with the bride herself present and her mother it would be quite a hurtful insinuation.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Addy

That's the weird thing, even though I was one of the people who said it (because it was literally the first thought that popped into my head), I have no idea why - I'm 100% certain it's not something my own mother worried about, or that I worried about.     Must be some kind of pop culture reference that made me think of it, but I don't know what!

Probably was the right call to omit it from the game, with the bride herself present and her mother it would be quite a hurtful insinuation.

Yeah, I said it too, and I certainly didn't mean for it to be hurtful. I guess I just thought the number one bad thing to happen would be someone not showing up, and the mother of the bride would certainly know that her daughter would be there. If the question had asked about the mother of the groom, I might have said that the bride wouldn't show up. 

Ceallach

• This Is It

Yeah, I said it too, and I certainly didn't mean for it to be hurtful. I guess I just thought the number one bad thing to happen would be someone not showing up, and the mother of the bride would certainly know that her daughter would be there. If the question had asked about the mother of the groom, I might have said that the bride wouldn't show up.

Good point, yes I think I likely would have said the opposite too had it been the opposite mother!   Without intending to cast any shade on the happy couple...
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
There's a lot of things that could cause someone to not show up (at least not when expected) - my own DH lost his pants as he left our house on the way to our wedding.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Chez Miriam

There's a lot of things that could cause someone to not show up (at least not when expected) - my own DH lost his pants as he left our house on the way to our wedding.

Jedikaiti, that's not a story that can just be left there!! ;D

Please tell us the whole story - I can't be the only one wondering how a person can lose their pants as they leave a house, surely?  And where were they?  Were they OK?  Or did he have to wear a "wrong" pair?

So much nosiness many questions; please put me out of my misery!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

magicdomino

That must have been one heck of a bachelor party.   :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
OK, OK...  ;D

So DH wears shorts All The Time, and had joked for years about getting married wearing shorts, but had bought a new suit (including pants) for our wedding. Had them altered, and they were hanging in the bag from the tailor's, in our house.

The day of the wedding, I had been whisked away to get hair/makeup/nails done, when he got a call that the rentals outfit showed up at the venue 2 hours ahead of schedule, before we even had access. So he grabbed everything he needed to take with him - including the suit - and dashed to the venue. Everything gets squared away, I arrived, and we finally get stuff set up and me wrangled into the dress.

Then he goes to get his suit on. And discovered that the pants were AWOL. He had a thought of having someone run him to the nearest menswear store for a new pair, and calling ahead to have pants ready for him to try on. But we were running late enough as it was, so someone came and asked me, "Can he get married in shorts?"

"Is he wearing the black ones?"

"Yes"

"He can wear the shorts."

So DH lost his pants and was wearing shorts when we got married. When we got home that night, we found that the pants had fallen off the hanger when he grabbed the suit, and in his haste, he hadn't noticed. And our officiant (and BFF) made a quick modification to our vows - "In sickness, in health, and in shorts."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture