News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bachelorette Party... with MLM  (Read 5660 times)

RainyDays

Bachelorette Party... with MLM
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
I was recently invited to a bachelorette party where a direct sales consultant will be present. I believe the consultant is a friend of the bride to be, and the products are those risque bedroom items (so fitting with the bachelorette theme). But the invite said no presents please, instead, purchase some products so bride can get fun extras!!

I'm politely declining, but I was wondering your thoughts.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Bachelorette Party... with MLM
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:53:22 AM »
My thoughts are that I wouldn't want to be at a party like this, ever, so I would decline.

I don't know that the hosts are wrong, point blank, for having this kind of party -- and at least they're straightforward about it -- but I don't think they can expect it to be everyone's cup of tea.

Goosey

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
As long as they were upfront about it, I don't see a problem with the type of party.

What I don't like is the insinuation that you should purchase the bride s*x toys instead of purchasing something else for her, if you wanted.

But, I never thought bachelorette parties were gift-giving occasions?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
Are bachelorette parties supposed to be gift-giving occasions now? 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:10:32 AM »
I have a friend who is a MLM sales associate for Pure Romance. It's more lingerie and body cream than toys, as I recall.

She throws lots of these kinds of "parties".

I would decline.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LemonZen

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »
I'm not a fan. MLM parties are not my idea of fun, and I really dislike the concept of having to spend money at a sales party to get the bride free stuff.

I've been invited to a bachelorette party where there was not one, but TWO different MLM companies present (a kitchen one, and a bedroom toys one) and the bride to be had a "registry" so you could go and purchase stuff for her from the catalogues, and then on top of that she could get the free hostess gifts from all the purchases you made for her. I was very, very, busy that day so I couldn't attend. ;)

rose red

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »

I never thought they weren't. Even when I went in the 80's and 90's, the guest usually give stuff like a pretty nightie or a spa basket or "toys" (usually as a joke).

I wouldn't want to go to a sales party though. You're just sitting around listening to a sales pitch instead of having fun with friends.

Yvaine

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

I never thought they weren't. Even when I went in the 80's and 90's, the guest usually give stuff like a pretty nightie or a spa basket or "toys" (usually as a joke).

I wouldn't want to go to a sales party though. You're just sitting around listening to a sales pitch instead of having fun with friends.

I think they're conflating a bachelorette party with a risque themed shower. I think showers with lingerie or "toy" themes have been around for a while, but I associate a bachelorette with a night out on the town.

Goosey

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:32 AM »
I have a friend who is a MLM sales associate for Pure Romance. It's more lingerie and body cream than toys, as I recall.

Pure romance definitely has a lot of toys lol. And their creams aren't all innocent either.  :P

Yvaine

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

Pure romance definitely has a lot of toys lol. And their creams aren't all innocent either.  :P

Indeed they do! It may be somewhat influenced by what the individual consultant keeps in stock and pushes more heavily, but they have a ton of toys.

rose red

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »

I think they're conflating a bachelorette party with a risque themed shower. I think showers with lingerie or "toy" themes have been around for a while, but I associate a bachelorette with a night out on the town.

Perhaps it's regional. In the parties I went to, they were billed as bachelorette parties, sometimes even held after the regular shower (the older folks and youngsters leave, and close friends stay). Gifts are given, sometimes even a stripper is hired :P, and we would go out to do regular bachelorette party things (dance clubs, bar hopping, etc)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:26:50 AM by rose red »

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Adding that I don't think bachelorettes are gift-giving parties.

bloo

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Adding that I don't think bachelorettes are gift-giving parties.

Agreed.  I thought that was the bridal shower. I was invited to a couple of lingerie showers (outside of the regular bridal shower) and refuse to go to those now. I *definitely* would NOT want first-hand knowledge of the BTB's interest/acquisition of sex toys.

shortstuff

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »

Agreed with Yvaine.  I've heard of the friends paying the bride's way or buying her drinks, but that sounds more spontaneous compared to buying a gift, wrapping it, etc. 

I would definitely decline a sales party.

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »
I'm another one who didn't think a bachelorette party was a gift-giving occasion. But even if it were, it seems to me the point of a bachelorette party is to have a last "fling" before the wedding. That might mean going to the bar or going out to dinner or having a party at someone's house or even a game night pajama party. But one thing I can't imagine it being is a sales party where you have to listen to a presentation and then buy gifts for the bride.

I wouldn't want to do this even at a shower.

A shower or bachelorette party is supposed to be fun. Ok, I know, showers usually aren't all that fun... but that's at least the intent. I don't think it can ever really be interpreted as entertaining to listen to a sales pitch.

So yeah, I'd skip this event no matter how it was labeled, bachelorette party, shower, whatever. I do agree that it was good that they at least warned people in advance so you could opt out.
Houston 
Texas 
USA