News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bachelorette Party... with MLM  (Read 5679 times)

lilfox

Re: Bachelorette Party... with MLM
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
Adding that I don't think bachelorettes are gift-giving parties.

Me neither.  At most, I'd expect to help pay the bride's way or buy her a drink (depending on the activity), and maybe someone brings an embarrassing accessory for the bride, but no separate gift.  IME bachelorette parties are nights on the town, so where is the bride going to stash gifts anyway?

Pooky582

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
When my best friend was getting married almost a decade ago, we were fairly young (22). And she had two bridesmaids that were not yet old enough to legally drink. So I set up a night of fun where they would not be excluded, and it even ended as an overnight event in a nice hotel. I thought I had done an excellent job. Then, a couple months later, I found out said best friend was very upset by the fact that none of the guests had gotten her any risqué items, because 'that's what bachelorette parties are for.' I was bummed. I worked hard on the night and everyone had a good time, but that is the one thing she took away from it. And there were some gifts, just not the right kind, apparently.

And just last year, when I got married, I wasn't even given a party, let alone any type of gift! (I don't mind, really. I'm over the bar-hopping scene and would not have been comfortable at a pure romance party with the women in my life!)

Another story, when my sister got engaged, she was even younger, at 20. Since her friends were all that same age, we discussed having a Pure Romance Bachelorette Party since going to bars was not an option. Thankfully, she decided against it, and now the point is moot because it's five years later and they still haven't set a date.

But back then, it never crossed my mind about how an MLM party could be rude. I only discovered this site recently and have realized a lot!

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »
MLM parties aren't *always* rude!  It's all in the execution -- and it's in their favor that they let the attendees know ahead of time.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
I've been to different types of showers. Some are simple bar-nights where evetyone pays their own way and maybe buys a drink for the BTB, some involve activities (and again pay your own way, but chip it for the bride) and others are more shower-like, lingerie shower or intimate party, like in the OP where you spend the moeny you would have spent on drinks/food on a gift for the bride.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
I think MLM parties are rude by their very existence. These MLM companies are counting on their salespeople exploiting their friendships to make sales and get them to have more parties. I think that's a terrible way to treat friends. I refuse to attend any of these events-even if your host/ess insists that "you don't have to buy anything, just come a socialize!" the unspoken pressure is there. And there is a lotof pressure from the salesperson. I simply do not consider these events to be "parties" at all.

Tying an MLM party to a wedding/bachelorette/shower makes it even tackier to me. On the rare occasions that someone invites me to one of these things, I say something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't do sales events like that, but if you'd like to get together sometime to socialize and hang out, let me know and we can plan a get together!" The fact that the non-sales related get together never seems to materialize tells me that I was only wanted there for my wallet, not for my company.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Mikayla

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
I was recently invited to a bachelorette party where a direct sales consultant will be present. I believe the consultant is a friend of the bride to be, and the products are those risque bedroom items (so fitting with the bachelorette theme). But the invite said no presents please, instead, purchase some products so bride can get fun extras!!

I'm politely declining, but I was wondering your thoughts.

Until the bolded, my response was an invite isn't a summons, and as long as it's known upfront, no harm, no foul.

But that bolded takes it into the category of entitled and obnoxious.  Why can't a party just be for the fun of it, instead of a vehicle for the "bride" to get something out of it?  It's also completely illogical to essentially say this is in lieu of gifts for an event where gifts aren't even typically bought. 

That's why I'd decline it. 

lakey

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
Sami Hami,
I simply do not consider these events to be "parties" at all.
I agree with you. These aren't parties, they are sales pitches. Also, their products tend to be very much over-priced.
There are a couple of these companies whose products I like, so I have gone to them with the purpose of buying something. I view it as similar to going to a store to buy something.
Using one of these for a bachelorette party or shower strikes me as being a step worse. They're basically telling the guests what gifts they must give, so that someone can make a profit off it.

Twik

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:52 AM »
When my best friend was getting married almost a decade ago, we were fairly young (22). And she had two bridesmaids that were not yet old enough to legally drink. So I set up a night of fun where they would not be excluded, and it even ended as an overnight event in a nice hotel. I thought I had done an excellent job. Then, a couple months later, I found out said best friend was very upset by the fact that none of the guests had gotten her any risqué items, because 'that's what bachelorette parties are for.' I was bummed. I worked hard on the night and everyone had a good time, but that is the one thing she took away from it. And there were some gifts, just not the right kind, apparently.

You know, I've never heard of guys buying gifts for the groom for a bachelor's party. So this sounds like one more case of "wedding grab creep" where presents are expected where none were before.

Showers are for presents. If she wants a shower on that theme, she should ask her friends to organize one, not turn the bachelorette into one more chance to shake down her friends.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."