News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 09:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When Your Image is Used in Media Without Your Permission.  (Read 5960 times)

Thipu1

When Your Image is Used in Media Without Your Permission.
« on: May 08, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
This issue has been raised in another thread on E-Hell. (What an Interesting Assumpti

It has happened to us several times.  Only once was the use potentially embarrassing.

We showed up in a photo published by Natural History Magazine.  The photo spread was of the Village Halloween parade. We were in the background so we never expected to be approached about signing a release. It was just kind of fun to find yourself in such a prestigious publication.

Back at the 1978 NYC Marathon, Mr. Thipu was filmed by A Japanese television crew while using the 'world's longest urinal' before the start of the race. They were all filmed from the back so it was more amusing than anything else.

On a Friday evening in the late 1980s we stopped in at a local bar for a Friday evening drink before dinner and heard another regular yell, 'Hey, Mr. Thipu!  You're on TV!'.

Sure enough, a local station was running a story about new regulations for taverns in NYC. Behind the story was stock footage of people enjoying lunch at a pub.  There were a few glasses of beer on the table and they were laughing but the group was nicely dressed and not rowdy.  The group was Mr. Thipu and his friends from work. None of them had the slightest notion they were to become part of a TV station Video archive. 

The worst was the time I was photographed with three other people on the day before the 1979 NYC Marathon. There were a few photographers out but we weren't approached about a release and I didn't think much about it.

I was later told that the picture was in a Time-Life volume in a series on fitness and health.  I called Time-Life to see if I could get a copy of the photograph. 

Nope.  That wasn't going to happen. Copyright on the photo was owned by Time-Life. 

Could I buy a copy of the volume? 

Nope.  I'd have to subscribe to the entire series.  Individual volumes weren't sold. 

Some years later I did find a copy of the volume with my picture at a yard sale. 

Has anyone else had images of themselves show up in unexpected places?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: When Your Image is Used in Media Without Your Permission.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
I happened to be outside when the Bing Streetside camera came by.  I don't think I'm particularly identifiable, though.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »
I happened to be outside when the Bing Streetside camera came by.  I don't think I'm particularly identifiable, though.

My cousin saw the google earth camera going down one street. He took a short cut, and got in front of it and waved as it went past. He's face is blurred.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
I went to college in the late 1960s. It was in another city, not my hometown, far enough away that I lived on campus, but close enough that my hometown newspaper often covered events there.

Early in my first year, a civil rights activist gave a speech at the university. He had been involved in marches & Freedom Rides and had been arrested and did time in a notorious prison farm for trying to enter a white restaurant. In the late 1960s, that was still pretty controversial.

The next morning's paper did a story on the speech, with a shot of the audience. There I was, prominently in the first row. My parents heard from friends & relatives from all over. Comments were pretty evenly divided between "How could you let her do that!" and "Good for her, trying to find out what's happening in the world." My parents response to the first group was that I was a big girl, and they didn't have to give me permission to hear a speech, and besides, they agreed with the second group.

A few years later, I was visiting a friend who lived in a city with a downtown area that was undergoing a revival. We spent an afternoon wandering around. It was a combination of upscale shops & cafes and rundown shops and dive bars. The day was hot so we were wearing shorts. As we walked by a couple of pretty disreputable-looking guys sitting on a planter box, one of them lunged at me, yelling "legs! legs!" I jumped away. then I saw the TV camera. I turned up on the evening news, being grabbed at by some drunk, to illustrate the conflict between the old denizens and the new gentrifiers.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
My elementary school did a school-wide thing about voting in my third grade year - people came in and spoke to us about the importance of voting, then showed us how one would vote in a real election, with ballots and booths and all.

I ended up on the front page of the local newspaper and only found out when my mother saw it and bought a copy. Little tiny me with too-big spectacles, leaning over my ballot with a look of very intense concentration. It was adorable. ;D
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Not me, but my mother.  In Michigan, there are a series of books that you can buy at Barnes and Noble.  They are photographic histories of life in Michigan (I have one that is photos from about 1860 up until WWII of the city I live in).  Maybe other states have these books as well.

Anyway, one time my parents were visiting, and we were at Barnes and Noble.  My mother was looking at one that was the town she grew up in.  "Oh, my heavens!"  And there she was.  The local Methodist church had hired a music director who was committed to creating a very good choir, and the photo showed the original 6 members, and there was my teen age mother.  None of them were identified by name, and I said my mother should contact the writer to see if he wanted more in depth info on the picture (e.g. - the names).  I don't think my mother ever did contact the writer, but she did buy the book.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:17:27 PM »
The music department at my university held an annual Beethoven Birthday Bash by having the student orchestra play all nine symphonies.  I cut all but one class to be there.  It was covered by the local news and I was in one of the shots.

medowynd

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 10:29:40 PM »
My family was touring a history museum on the island of Jeju, at the south end of South Korea and we were interviewed for the program.   We never saw the program, but they don't get many Americans visiting Jeju.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 12:38:31 AM »
I appeared in the local paper -it was the All-Star swim meet for the city and there I was, about 8 years old, being shown starting the 50 meter backstroke. I was the only one in the photo.

Some years ago I was crossing the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus about 6 AM and a student ran up and asked if he could take a photo of me walking by a specific building. Apparently he loved the contrast of the color of my jacket against the building. I said sure and walked where he asked. I assume I ended up in his class portfolio.

I am or was on YouTube-we had a seminar here, they had a scavenger hunt and asked me if I would read a clue. I said sure.
Nothing to see here.

o_gal

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:21 AM »

My cousin saw the google earth camera going down one street. He took a short cut, and got in front of it and waved as it went past. He's face is blurred.

Blurring might be new. DH and DS were out selling Boy Scout popcorn when they saw the GE camera coming at them. They waved at it. They are definitely not blurred.

o_gal

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »
Years ago I used to SCUBA dive. One trip we went out to the Empire Mica, an oil tanker that was sunk by a German U-boat in the gulf, just off of the west coast for Florida. We had a pretty big boat since there were a lot of divers going out that day (it was a 5 hour trip from Panama City Beach). With us was the Alabama state spearfishing champion and a gentleman whose name was something like Archie Griffin. He had a TV show that played in the US south, one of those half hour hunting-fishing-trapping-good ol' boy fun shows. He was doing a show on spearfishing barracuda, featuring the state champ.

Our trip leader later obtained a tape of that show and we all got together to see it. Lots of footage of the state champ going after the many barracuda who were on the boat that day. There was a 3 to 4 knot current also, so they had to content with that (although if you got away from the deck of the boat the current wasn't as bad.) The state champ was really, really accurate with his shots, and would get upset if he was off by an inch or so.

At one point, they paused to show the other activity going on that day with all the other divers (2 other dive boats were at the site along with us). They showed 2 divers making very, very slow headway against the current as they are trying to reach the spare propeller on deck. Archie narrated the whole episode, and at this point was exclaiming something like "Hey, look at them good ol' boys! They're having a heck of a time!"

The divers were me and my partner that day. And I am head to toe in pink dive gear. Yep, must make me a good ol' boy. I think in the US south that's probably a high compliment  ;D

mime

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »
When I was about 15, I marched in our local mid-winter torchlight parade, and I was filmed, up very close for a few moments. I remember some cameraman just stepping out into the parade path and standing a couple feet away from me, holding the camera down low, and thought "I bet that'll be a cool shot!" The next Monday, I had several classmates tell me that they saw that shot on television. Later, it became part of an opening-credits montage for a local news show, so every day I could see myself marching in the parade, larger-than-life. I'd hate the idea of that now, but back then I was absolutely delighted!

On another occasion, my DH was giving a lecture at the university (in Minneapolis) and that lecture was simulcast to the 3M Company headquarters (about 25 miles from Minneapolis). We lived between the two locations and I was home that day, channel-surfing, and reached the station that carried that program and suddenly saw my DH on TV! So it wasn't anything that the regular viewing audience would watch, and I probably only got reception because I lived so close to 3M at the time, but it was really amusing to find.

rose red

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »
My family and I walked past a news person on the streets so I'm sure it showed on the news but I didn't see it.

There was a teacher's strike when I was in middle school, and when it was over, there was a news crew reporting the story. Me and a bunch of my classmates were shown walking back into school.

My friend and I were filmed standing in line on Black Friday, but we turned our faces trying to avoid the camera.

Not exciting stories, but hey....... ;D

auntmeegs

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »
I used to be a professional model - I mostly did runway and showroom work, as opposed to print work.  I once did a series of photos in a famous area near us, as a favor to a friend.  A few years later I was looking through a local newspaper and right there in a full-page ad is one of the photos from the series, being used as an advertisement for her store! 

sandisadie

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »
Years ago my husband and I lived in a small South Carolina town for a few months.  There wasn't much to do there so one day I saw a notice that an auction of homes would be held on the courthouse steps so I decided to attend, never having been to one before.  I didn't know the media would be there covering the story.  I stood lounging against a pillar on the courthouse steps and watched all the, mostly, men bidding for the homes.  That evening I was watching the local newscast and there I was!  I don't know why, but the cameraman kept coming back to me against that pillar several times throughout the story and I wasn't the only onlooker.