News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 05:40:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When Your Image is Used in Media Without Your Permission.  (Read 5969 times)

Team HoundMom

Re: When Your Image is Used in Media Without Your Permission.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
When I was 21 the guy behind me in line robbed the bank.  The following day my picture from the surveillance camera was on the front page of the local paper because the guy was literally standing right behind me.  I mean it was a perfectly clear photo of my face from the shoulders up.  For the next week all I heard was "Hey <my name>!  What was your cut from the bank robbery? Hahahaha."  Back then I thought it was funny but nowadays I would be livid.

ggreg7

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:26:14 PM »
Ok, I haven't thought about this in a while.

There was a relatively famous bar that closed in my hometown.  My then boyfriend (now DH) and I went to the closing party. 

The next morning my mom called me and told me to go buy a newspaper.  On the back page of the first section of the newspaper was my picture.  It was about 5x7 and I'm holding 4 beers (getting beer for the group) and a t-shirt that says something wildly inappropriate.

My mama was not happy to say the least when her friends started calling her to tell her they had seen my picture in the paper.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
Not me, but DH. He ends up on television about once a year. Part of his job is doing removals for the local coroner's office.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »
I happened to be outside when the Bing Streetside camera came by.  I don't think I'm particularly identifiable, though.

My cousin saw the google earth camera going down one street. He took a short cut, and got in front of it and waved as it went past. He's face is blurred.

Blurring might be new. DH and DS were out selling Boy Scout popcorn when they saw the GE camera coming at them. They waved at it. They are definitely not blurred.

They started doing it in 2008 http://www.cnet.com/news/google-begins-blurring-faces-in-street-view/ because of privacy concerns.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

esteban

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
I played a few CCG games at a pretty high level, one year I went to GenCon to play and was in a late round match-up against one of the heads of playtesting and Organized play support. 

Next year a picture of him and I playing was used as a card.  I e-mailed the game creator and got a stack from him, gave a bunch to local players, and included it in decks where I had a spare slot just because. 
The artist formerly known as deadbody

squeakers

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Went to a baseball game with my parents and ended up on the news.  I wasn't doing anything special but I guess the camera guy liked my legs :D  They actually showed that clip both at the 10 o'clock news and the next morning's 7 am news which is when I saw it.  My friends told me they had seen the night broadcast.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

JoW

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »
My face wasn't visible, but my filthy, salt-covered car was.  It was the first warm dry day in spring, the perfect day to get your car washed.  One of the local weather forecaster will issue a "car wash alert" on that sort of day.  That alert is always accompanied by a picture of cars in line at a car wash.  I saw the photographer making the recording. 

KenveeB

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »
Back in law school, I worked for the legal department of a large corporation that ended up going out of business in a fairly publicized way. I was laid off in the first round of layoffs and was apparently filmed as I was leaving the building. (I'm sure because it looked like I was trudging out with all my office belongings, when in fact I just had a huge bag with my school books!) My dad called me that night and said he'd seen me on the national news as they reported on the layoffs.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
The local newspaper took a lot of crowd shots of people listening to speeches at a protest rally. I was there so I was in it but it would've been hard to tell unless you knew me well since it wasn't a close up. No big deal - it's a public event.

A guy I was dating shared a pic of the two of us on Twitter (just a selfie of us visiting a tourist attraction) after I'd asked him not too and explained why not. I don't post pics of myself online as I'm a private person plus I loathe being photographed. So it's not like he didn't know. He was also strangely sneaky about it - the tweet didn't reference the pic (some completely unrelated comment). No idea what that was about.

I only noticed because I was looking for another image he'd posted to RT on. At the time I was really upset.

Take2

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
One day DS (then 7) went up the street to see if his friend could come out to play, and his friend's mother said she had just gotten 4 tickets for a major league baseball game from her work for that evening and he was invited to come along. We agreed he could go, and thanked her profusely. We didn't realize they were VIP seats, which came with an amazing spread of food plus snacks AND their seats were directly behind home plate on the second row. The kids had no clue they were on tv every single time the camera did a head-on shot of whoever was at bat. And that is how we were able to watch my son and his buddy gleefully whack each other with a bag of peanuts on ESPN.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
Not me but my little sister. At the time she was a social worker with adult services. She had to testify in capital murder trial. One of her mentally disabled adult clients was used by his "mother" in a murder for money scheme. It was a big story here in Houston with potential to go national if the news day was slow. So she called my Mom in San Angelo to warn her. Sure enough we got a ton of phone calls with various confused versions of the tale. (Sis was testifying to the legal and mental status of the client and maybe to dates and times when she knew his location. She didn't have foreknowledge of the murder because she would have called the cops.

About the same time, another unstable client got hold of her phone number and used it to trace her. THreats were made - her then BF now DH recorded her voicemail greeting and she ended up having to change her number. They bought a house and she moved in before the wedding. So she switched to hospital case worker - and has been threatened and stocked by unstable patients/their families a couple of times.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Disney

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »
Not exactly in the "media". But my family used to live in a small town, we moved (and the town became a bigger due to a companies corporate offices moving there.) My mother went back to visit about 5 years ago and as she passed the store front of the local photography place, she noticed that one of the big 18x20ish advertising shots was of my sister and I. (I think it was actually the last one before we moved). So she went into the store and told them and they gave it to her. So now we have a giant picture of my sister and I as kids.

RevMaxx

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
""And that is how we were able to watch my son and his buddy gleefully whack each other with a bag of peanuts on ESPN."" HAHAHAhahaaa!   :D Take2, I'm betting you'll tease him for that for years to come.

About 18 years ago, following ratification of new federal regulations, the big-name news showed up at our workplace (a large County Social Service agency) with cameras rolling.  Panic ensued for the administrators, "clients" didn't want to leave the building as their privacy/anonymity, rightly so,  is promised on our premises. Even Security was afraid of how they would look on TV.  My Admin, the TopDog/DragonLady looked at me and asked woefully, "What are we going to do?"  Thinking to myself, "Bunch of chickenscats". I said I (her clerical worker) would handle it.

I went down and outside, told Reporter that I always liked her work. I identified myself, then explained*** that they had to turn off their cameras, our clients deserve the safety of coming here in private and if they went to the edge of the property, they could ASK anyone if they would like to give a comment on camera but not to film in the direction of our doors to impede the comings and goings of others.  They complied nicely, but everything I said and my face (and name-arg) was filmed.

***Watching it later, I appeared to be quite a brute who commanded them to obey.  A lot of ribbing from family and friends. Relieved DragonLady put a sign over my desk "Beware, RevMaxx is NOT nice" and took me for a fabulous lunch the next day.
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Kimberami

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
This just happened, and my DD is beyond thrilled.
She follows several Youtube gamers, and a few days ago she mentioned that she thought she saw the handle of one of them playing the same game she was.  Today she saw her sprite in the gamer's new video. 
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 06:31:21 PM »
I just remembered one -- the top of my head was in a commercial ;)    I (along with several other people at my gym) participated in a Zumba demo at a health expo.  They used a snippet of video from that demo in the following year's commercial.  I was in the back, so you really couldn't see me, but the instructor was surprised to see herself on tv.