News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not providing alcohol/ Bar at venue will be open, no option for it to close  (Read 5801 times)

NFPwife

You are not having a cash bar. You are having a wedding reception at a place that happens to have a bar on the premises that will be open. If people choose to utilize the bar, that is on them. I'd stick to your original plan of serving beer/wine only with champagne toast if that's what you still want.

I had a similar problem, only my DH's family requested a dry wedding due to their religious beliefs. Since my wedding was held early in the day, I didn't care one way or the other (I'd like to point out, not having an open bar also saved us several thousand dollars). There were people who did go down to the bar. They wanted a drink, they were adults, their business.

POD. I've been to events where soft drinks were sold and, if you wanted an alcoholic drink, there was a bar on the premises. It's not the same as having a cash bar -- here's my evidence - my husband's family is very anti-cash bar. If you're offering alcohol, you offer everything, if you're not offering alcohol at an event, that's fine. A cash bar is a huge faux pas. They wouldn't (and don't) bat an eye at this situation, because it's not a cash bar. It's a bar at the establishment that they can (and will!) access.

gellchom

OP, you still here?  What is the location of the bar?  Is it open to the public?  Will your reception be the only event in the building that night?  Can you set up a table with the drinks you are providing, or have them served at the tables, or something?

To me, that would probably make all the difference.  It's one thing to have a reception in a place that happens to have a public bar on the premises that doesn't appear connected to your event, especially if other things are going on in the building at the same time (like at a hotel).  But if you have the whole place for the night, it's going to be hard for it not to look like the cash bar is part of your event, especially if they won't let you serve your offerings separately.  I really wouldn't like the look of a full cash bar with a little menu of what the hosts are offering "free."

See if they will agree to serve only your beer and wine and perhaps signature cocktail if you pick up the entire tab.  But they may insist on your having a full cash bar; that may be how they make their money.  It sounds like they could find another customer who would agree to it, but if they can't rent the hall to anyone else that night, they will probably work with you, especially if you look at the numbers together and it seems that they will make almost as much doing it your way.

And no tip jar!   :)  (I assume the hosts are paying the bartenders and other staff, including tipping them.)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
You should also probably go ahead and sit down with your fiance now and discuss the particulars of what you want in the wedding.  That way you can both express the areas where you have strong feelings so the other can make the decision without having to get time-sensitive input.

Maria16

How did a deposit get put down on a venue without you knowing about it until later?  This is a bigger issue than what to serve.
I agree with this. I've never heard of a cash bar at a wedding. If you are renting the hall, why does the bar need to operate if you don't want it to? Since someone made this planning without your consent then they should've dealt with this. That person should have no issue paying for the bar also. It would cost them more to lose the deposit.