News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:05:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BBQ tomorrow - please help!  (Read 3749 times)

Twirly

• Your Pop Filter
BBQ tomorrow - please help!
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:13:54 AM »
Iím in a bit of a time sensitive pickle that I hope you lovely ehellions can give me some direction.

My husband and I are moving from the East Coast to the West Coast in 2 months. We have lived here for 9 years now and have lots of loved ones in the area, so we wanted to have a big going away party to say goodbye to everyone. My Dad offered to let us have the party at his house because itís pretty large and has a great backyard for BBQ, whereas we live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment.

When we first discussed this a month ago, Dad and I agreed that we would bring all the meat and fixings for grilling, he would take care of the rest of the food and we would ask guests to bring whatever they wanted to drink. There will be tons of beer available as well.

Well just yesterday Dad asks me if I have any guests that I feel comfortable enough asking to bring a side dish or appetizer. First of all not 2 days before the event. Second of all everyone asked me WEEKS ago what they could bring and I told them we had food and beer covered so if they wanted something different to drink please feel free to bring that along. So no I am not going to call everyone and ask them to bring food now, I will just handle it myself.

So considering the party is TOMORROW Ė any suggestions for quick and cheap food for 30 people over the course of an all-day BBQ? My mom is bringing pasta salad and pineapple upside down cake and we have chicken, hot dogs and burgers. Help?

Demons dipped in adorable

My snarky alter ego co-writes a pop culture blog: http://yourpopfilter.com/

HannahGrace

Re: BBQ tomorrow - please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:22:38 AM »
Bagged salad from the supermarket - throw in some chopped peppers or pre-chopped mushrooms and you've got yourself a green salad.  A bunch of bags of potato chips since they go well with burgers and dogs.  Those are also both things that you could ask a good friend to pick up on the way over so you don't have to do everything yourself.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Simple green salad with dressing (maybe just pick two toppings out of tomato, cucumber, carrot, cheese or onion, if you want to keep it easy). Use an inexpensive, crunchy green that will stay crunchy sitting out for a long time (e.g. romaine).

Fruit salad (melon, grapes and maybe pineapple or berries, whatever's cheapest where you are)

Chips (potato, tortilla, pita) and dip (salsa, sour cream dips, hummus)

Cheese plate

Caprese salad (basil, cherry/grape tomatoes and mozzarella balls)

Bread/rolls

Pickles and/or crudites and/or sliced fruit

Cookies (slice-and-bake or premade ones are fine)

I'd avoid anything that involves cooking too much (as you can see from my suggestions that are all prep, no bake), but I think you can bake a tray or four of frozen french fries, or a cobbler (biscuit dough on top of sugared fruit is easiest, probably), or some homemade cookies today or tomorrow and they'll be good to go, too.

All my suggestions can be fancied up or kept very simple depending on what you're interested in.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »
Do you have a Coscto or similar store in your area? Even if not a regular grocery store should be able to accommodate you. I would get:

-several bags of chips
-a fruit tray
-a veggie tray
-large containers of salads (potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, that sort of thing)
-maybe a pan of baked beans
-a dessert tray with an assortment of cookies

Also, please forgive me for being picky...but that is not a BBQ. Barbecue is a style of cooking. What you are doing is grilling/cooking out. The two are not interchangeable. Calling it a BBQ will most likely cause disappointment in some of your guests (although I'm sure they are polite enough that they wouldn't show it!). I say this as a BBQ judge.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
Bags of chips and bowls. You can make sour cream dips with many different flavors, to go with them, if you like. Salsa.

Corn on the cob, cut in half, cooked and held in a steam tray.
Three bean salad in vinegar and oil, kept chilled over ice.
Cucumber and onion salad in a vinaigrette.
Banana pudding, kept over ice.
Pretzel salad.
Summer slaw, which is coleslaw with a vinaigrette dressing. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/222282/picnic-marinated-summer-slaw/
Fruit salad.

Brownies for dessert.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:53 AM »
Also, please forgive me for being picky...but that is not a BBQ. Barbecue is a style of cooking. What you are doing is grilling/cooking out. The two are not interchangeable. Calling it a BBQ will most likely cause disappointment in some of your guests (although I'm sure they are polite enough that they wouldn't show it!). I say this as a BBQ judge.

Actually, this is a word with a regional meaning, and barbecue is synonymous with cookout in much of the US.

Please, OP, don't be nervous about what you've called your event!

HannahGrace

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »

Actually, this is a word with a regional meaning, and barbecue is synonymous with cookout in much of the US.

Agreed.  I am pretty sure we've had threads about this.  In my part of the east coast, barbecue and cookout mean the same thing.

Alicia

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
Salad
Chips
Watermelon
Pasta salad
Veggie tray
Cookie tray
Consider that more then enough

Twirly

• Your Pop Filter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
Oh yes now I remember seeing those threads, they confused me at first because in these parts we use barbecue and cookout synonymously. But I did check the invite and it states farewell party and cookout so I think everyone will be on the same page!

I can definitely get chips, salads, fruit and cookies together fairly easily. And that summer slaw sounds divine!

Thanks for all the great responses, I was in a bit of a panic due to the down-to-the-wire timing but Iím feeling better about things now.

Demons dipped in adorable

My snarky alter ego co-writes a pop culture blog: http://yourpopfilter.com/

rose red

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »
Just to keep it straight, so far you have:
Chicken
Hot dogs
Burgers
Pasta salad
Pineapple upside down cake
I'm assuming buns for the meats

My suggestions (many if not all have been mentioned):
Grilled corn on the cob
Grilled "baked" potatoes
Grilled asparagus or other grillable veggie
Sliced watermelon
Chips (potato and/or corn)
Hawaiian bread with spinach dip
Ice cream or sherbet (if possible)
You may want to buy a bag of ice too for drinks and stuff
Don't forget to make sure there are napkins and other paper goods

Where I'm from, what you described is called a BBQ too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:35:39 AM by rose red »

Hmmmmm

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »
Your current menu of hot dogs, burgers, chicken and pasta salad. I'd confirm with your mom she is planning to bring enough pasta salad for 30. Needing to stay easy and cheap
Add a fruit salad or tray.... Or buy a couple of watermelons, canteloups, and fresh pineapple or mangos and do your own tray. Add strawberry's or grapes if they are cheap in your area right now.
Large vegetable tray with carrots, celery, sliced cucumbers and radishes for color (all inexpensive)
Canned Baked Beans
Bags of chips and dips

Buy or make brownies and if you have time, bake up some slice and bake cookies

anniehawks

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
One of my cookout staples is baked potatoes.  There is minimal prep and they can either be baked in the oven (you can put a bunch of potatoes in the oven) or on the grill if there's room.  Add salt, pepper, butter, sour cream, and cheese as toppings and you're all set.  I"ll also put out some salsa as a topping for the vegans in my family.

ncgal

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »

easy, go to the store, deli department and buy their already made potato salad, open a can or two of baked bean, chips and dips and varies veggie trays and your good to go

edited for spelling...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:36:02 PM by ncgal »

KimberlyM

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »

Agreed.  I am pretty sure we've had threads about this.  In my part of the east coast, barbecue and cookout mean the same thing.

Same here on the west coast, we have BBQ's, which is any event in someone's yard where the grill (also called a barbecue) is the primary form of cooking.
Now, if I went to a BBQ restaurant I would be expecting the style of cooking you're talking about, being invited to a BBQ would only make me think something is being grilled/barbecued, burgers, hot dogs, chicken,  steak or kabobs.

As for what to get for yours....

Fruit and/or veggie trays
Chips and dips
A big tub of potato salad
Corn on the cob

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »
I would keep it super simple. Store-bought potato salad and maybe coleslaw, lots of chips & a couple of easy dips, such as salsa & store-bought guacamole, or ranch dip (buy the packet & sour cream & mix them up tonight). That's all you really need for sides. For dessert, cookies and/or brownies. Again, store-bought as in, from the bakery section of the grocery store.

You don't want to be trying to cook or prepare enough stuff for 30 people at this point, so just buy what you need. You don't need a lot of variety.

The only other thing you need (which you might already have covered) are the condiments for the burgers: mustard, mayo, ketchup, pickles, tomatoes, cheese for those who want cheeseburgers.

If it were a pot luck, I'd expect a lot of variety in dishes, but if the host were providing everything, a couple of cold side salads & chips, plus cookies/brownies would be sufficient.
Houston 
Texas 
USA