News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "When I'm in Ireland ... I use Google"  (Read 3321 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
"When I'm in Ireland ... I use Google"
« on: June 10, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »
I walk into the locker room at the gym, and overhear this great conversation between two women who have just met after an exercise class and are changing.

"Nice to meet you, too, Annie. So, you won't believe it, but I'm going to Ireland next month!" Pam the American says.
"Oh, that's nice. I'm sure you'll like it," Annie says in a strong Irish accent.
Pam: "I have sooooo many questions for you."
Annie: "I really should be going."
Pam: "So I'll be doing a BrandName bus tour of Dublin, and I'm wondering how it works."
Annie explains that you can get off and on the bus, which comes past every half hour, as you please. She answers several questions that could have and probably were answered by Pam's booking agent.
Pam: "So, what should I spend my time doing? I'm most interested in X, Y, and Z because my friend so-and-so said Z is really neat and I ought to see it and ..."
Annie: "I like Trinity College, but I really couldn't say."
Pam: "But what about Attraction and Thing?"
Annie: "When I'm in Ireland and looking for something to do, I use Google."
Pam: "But what about when I'm at This Coffee Shop and I want to get to Cemetery?"
Annie: "I recommend Google for that. I must be going."
Pam: "And what about a train from Galway to Dublin?"
Annie: "I think if you type 'train Galway to Dublin' into Google, you'd find out."
Pam: "You mean you don't know?"
Annie: "I've never taken a train from Galway to Dublin. If I wanted to, I'd use Google."
Pam: "But don't you know the name of the rail line?"
Annie: "I have to go. But try Google!"
Pam: "Wait! Do you have any restaurant recommendations near Tiny Hotel? I like potatoes but not mashed ones and ... "
Annie: "I don't stay at hotels in Ireland. You could ask the concierge at the hotel, or Google it. I recommend Google. It works in Ireland."
Pam: "And is there anything near Trinity College I'd like?"
Annie: "Sure! Oh, Rachel! How nice to see you!" (begins to exchange pleasantries with a woman who just walked in)
Pam: "And what's the weather like in Ireland? Will it be cool?"
Annie, walking out: "Yes! Cool! But Google it for the days you'll actually be there! Ta!"
Pam: "But ... but ... bye!"

(All names changed except actual things in Ireland.)

Obviously, Annie should have cut it off a bit sooner, but she was changing the whole time, and left as quickly as she could, with her hair still a mess. I admired her restraint in not telling Pam to take a hint, though!

My husband looked up the train from Galway to Dublin while I was telling him this story, and it takes about 3 hours. And 2 seconds to Google!

Anyway, I thought I'd just share a story of bean dip gone wild. Have you ever been accosted by a stranger for information you really weren't equipped to provide? How did you handle it?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: "When I'm in Ireland ... I use Google"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
Some people do not take hints or even overt attempts to end a conversation. They will always be bewildered that someone does not want to talk about the given subject or to them.

I would have said, sorry I have to go and left as soon as I could.

Annie did well.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Reika

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
I think Annie did well and pretty much what I would've done in her situation.

Mal

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
I think Annie might be my new favorite person ;D
I'd nitpick she could have rigorously ended the conversation a bit earlier but it was still very graceful.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »
This is the social version of an old post where the OP kept having a coworker ask her things that were in the work manual. I think some people just don't want to do it themselves even if it's easier. Annie did well!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Funny you should mention that! I just today experienced a former classmate asking question after question about administrative requirements (that are in lots of emails and online and downloaded forms) on a Facebook group page where we've all been working on this task for weeks and the requirements have not changed for months.

I had to refrain from linking him to lmgtfy.com!