News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 02:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: How to prepare for a possible CD / CI in the family UPDATE #19  (Read 14519 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: How to prepare for a possible CD / CI in the family UPDATE #19
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 06:13:32 PM »
I think you have done well and wish you the best for the job!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
Not relaying any of your father's comments about your brother to your brother is how you stop being a flying monkey.

When your father does make a comment about your brother, politely but perfunctorily end the conversation. "Sorry Dad, got to go.  Love you, bye."  It's amazing how quickly people stop doing something when they stop getting attention from someone immediately after doing it.

Danika

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 02:33:52 AM »
Not relaying any of your father's comments about your brother to your brother is how you stop being a flying monkey.

When your father does make a comment about your brother, politely but perfunctorily end the conversation. "Sorry Dad, got to go.  Love you, bye."  It's amazing how quickly people stop doing something when they stop getting attention from someone immediately after doing it.

POD

bopper

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »
"Dad, reactions like this make me reluctant to share personal information with you."

Sirius

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
I'm in a similar situation:  My older sister and my dad have a relationship that is awkward at best.  I finally put my foot down and told both parties I don't want to hear a lot of complaining about the other, and any issues they have are to be taken up with each other only.  My sister has been good about this, but my dad constantly complains so I have to remind him frequently that if he has a problem with my sister he is to take it up with her.  One of the big issues is that my sister changed her name legally, and my dad refuses to call her anything except her birth name.  However, this, again, is another thing where I refuse to be dragged into the middle, and any issues they have are between the two of them.