News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this ok to wear to late winter, afternoon wedding, with no dress code?  (Read 5041 times)

aussie_chick

Hi Ehellians!

Haven't been around for a while, hope everyone is well :)

I've previously written about weddings I've been invited to and being unsure about what to wear. This is another one of those!

SIL is getting married the last weekend of August , which here, is the last weekend of winter. I've checked the weather in the town the wedding will be and it says between 11 and 15 C for maximum temperatures between July and September.

The wedding is being held outside around 3pm. Followed by an evening reception.

I struggle to buy clothing at the best of times, let alone for more formal occasions. I'm plus size. very plus size these days.

Anyway I found a beautiful navy blue dress on ASOS. I checked and the bridesmaids are not wearing navy. In plus size, the only colours I could find were the same as the bridesmaids, navy, black or cream. Clearly cream was out and I didn't want to wear black so I thought navy would be great.

We got the invitation and it has no dress code on it. The invitation is pretty but doesn't give much away. Any inquiries have been met with "whatever you feel comfortable in" and I genuinely believe that is truly what is meant.

But i'm feeling a bit worried I might be too formal. So here is a link to the dress: http://www.asos.com/au/Club-L/Club-L-Plus-Size-Maxi-Dress-With-3D-Floral-Sequin-Top/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5566961&cid=10528&Rf900=1465&Rf-200=33&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Navy&totalstyles=82&gridsize=3

And I plan to wear a shawl over the top for the cool weather. On me, this dress is floor length, not ankle length.

What do you think?

lovestoread

I think that dress is absolutely beautiful, and entirely appropriate.  :)

I always think that it's nice to take the opportunity to get dressed up, and it's always better to be over-dressed than underdressed imo (I think it feels much less awkward to be a bit overdressed).

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
It's for an event more formal than most weddings I've been to (friends are a very casual bunch), but certainly not inappropriate. And it looks quite nice!

rose red

What is the venue? A hotel reception hall, a fancy or casual restaurant, backyard, etc? If the dress is appropriate for the venue and tone of the wedding, I say go for it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:15:27 AM by rose red »

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
I think the dress is beautiful, but as the owner of a very similar dress (mine is black!) I also think it might be a bit too glitzy for an outdoor wedding.  The actual location of the reception might inform the choice better, though.  I'd definitely look into wearing some tights under it to help keep myself warm.

Sites with nice plus-size dresses in a variety of colors and formality levels include ModCloth, eShakti, and Torrid.

Outdoor Girl

I think the dress is gorgeous and you should wear it, even if it is more formal than what other people might be wearing.   ;D

In this case, dress it down.  Instead of a shawl, wear a cardigan.  Stay away from the blingy jewellery.  Simple hair style, rather than a fancy updo.  Understated make-up, rather than a dramatic look.  Plain looking shoes.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Alicia

Lovely  and not to formal at all. Navy is a great choice.

Zizi-K

I think it's a great dress. Plus, with it being all one color, you can dress it up or down depending on your footwear, jewelry, if you wear a belt, and whatever you wear on top of it. At 10 C, I would need more than a shawl...probably something like a spring coat or trench coat. But I think it's a safe choice for a variety levels of formality.

gramma dishes

That is a gorgeous dress!    It is fairly formal, but not overly so.  I think it would be fine for a wedding (at any time of day).

pittgirl

I think it's beautiful!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
I think it's perfect for a wedding.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

tabitha

Beautiful dress.

Not too formal.

Perfect for an afternoon wedding.

Thipu1

I would buy that dress in a heartbeat.  Add a colorful shawl or jacket and you're set to go for almost any affair.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
It's a bit dressier than I'd normally wear for a daytime outdoor wedding, but since the reception is evening, it looks fine. I like the suggestion upthread of dressing it down slightly for the ceremony and back up for the reception.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Gorgeous and perfect.